By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What console will have the first head-track game be on? and in what Genre.

@ Fastrabbit09
The IR camera in the wiimote operates at 100Hz so it can relay information at 100fps, but Nintendo has been keeping quiet about the PixArt sensor on board the wiimote. According to the PixArt website, their fastest commercial sensors operate at 60fps, but only at low resolutions. The highest fps for SD resolution is 30fps, so I would assume that this is what the wiimote is capable of, although I cannot be certain. Can anyone give me a link that confirms otherwise?

PixArt website

The PS eye can also operate at 120fps, so it's still faster.

Article on PS Eye

Also, there are already plenty of games available for the PC that have some form of head-tracking using TrackIR, and they are mostly racing or flying games.

List of TrackIR enhanced games

Around the Network
Fastrabbit09 said:

wii does 100/second...it's far better suited for motion tracking than the pseye

for instance, you could do a game where 1 person sits in front of tv, one to the left and one to the right...with head-tracking, each person would see different info on the screen, so could get confidential mission objectives, or trivia answer or pictionary card, etc

or an active puzzle game where you need to move around to see the different angles of the room or whatever in order to figure out how to solve the puzzle

a light gun game where you can duck for cover, maybe a really good paintball game

Er... wow, hate to say it, but this bit here makes me doubt your entire post. Your perception of how headtracking works seems to have just a few problems with it.

Using headtracking only works with ONE person. Headtracking does not turn your TV into a 3D image projector. All headtracking can do is SIMULATE a 3d image by making changes to a 2d image based on what angle you are looking at the 2d image from. Even with this though, the TV will still be displaying just ONE image at a time. Anyone who looks at the TV will be able to see the entire image displayed on the TV.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Fastrabbit09 said:
kingofwale said:
>It's most likely to be on the aswell since the IR-camera in the Wii remote.

I have a Wii (well, my cousin who lives in my house does), so here's my question, how good is the IR-Camera on Wii really is? because I've heard and seen lagging with some software on Wii before.

does it do 30fps or 60?

for instance, you could do a game where 1 person sits in front of tv, one to the left and one to the right...with head-tracking, each person would see different info on the screen, so could get confidential mission objectives, or trivia answer or pictionary card, etc

or an active puzzle game where you need to move around to see the different angles of the room or whatever in order to figure out how to solve the puzzle

a light gun game where you can duck for cover, maybe a really good paintball game

The PSeye is capable of 120FPS, just pointing this out.

Nintendo - I think it'll be a First Person Mario game where you're walking through the worlds seeing the mushrooms in front of you etc.

I'm surprised so little's been done the the PSEye. I'd hard it was a really capable piece of hardware.

There seems to have been a real lack of creativity for PS3 and 360. It's as if developers only take risks when they're forced to.

Around the Network
godf said:
I'm surprised so little's been done the the PSEye. I'd hard it was a really capable piece of hardware.

There seems to have been a real lack of creativity for PS3 and 360. It's as if developers only take risks when they're forced to.

Ahh but having an active network PSN, XBL, etc, means that you can still create a product with minimal risk. There are a few PS Eye games out, and there are a few major budgets that support menial stuff like taking pictures and what not, but since the eye didn't come standard with the system (maybe next time around ;) ), developers shouldn't force implement it. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Sony... is more easy to take advantage of the PSEye and let the controls for the user than use the wiimote as a tracker... what a shame...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Yeah I'd probably say Sony first if I had to go with someone, they already have some pretty unique stuff on the PSN when it comes to Eye games, Sixaxis games, etc etc. I can EASILY see some off-beat or mainhouse dev team putting a minuscule amount of resources to a head tracking project. However I probably wouldn't buy it, just doesn't interest me :/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Grey Acumen said:
Fastrabbit09 said:

Er... wow, hate to say it, but this bit here makes me doubt your entire post. Your perception of how headtracking works seems to have just a few problems with it.

Using headtracking only works with ONE person. Headtracking does not turn your TV into a 3D image projector. All headtracking can do is SIMULATE a 3d image by making changes to a 2d image based on what angle you are looking at the 2d image from. Even with this though, the TV will still be displaying just ONE image at a time. Anyone who looks at the TV will be able to see the entire image displayed on the TV.

you are right, it wouldn't work that way

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Johnny Lee has already done it with the wii, so we know it is more than possible.. just a matter of implementing it into a full game

I haven't seen any examples of people doing anything remotely close to this with the PSEye yet, does anyone have youtube videos proving otherwise?