By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so much bashing this console era?

BenKenobi88 said:
I'll say what I think:

I think for nearly 10 years, a generation of kids grew up on the "winning" consoles, PS and PS2. PS2 sold soo many consoles, so when the Wii came around and still sells out, a lot of Playstation fans which grew up with their console being the best are a bit pissed.

Fans of Nintendo have dealt with both the N64 but more the Gamecube underselling and losing support from developers....so the success of the Wii makes them extremely positive. Positive and optimistic Nintendo fans + pissed off Sony fans = forum fun.

I think you did it, Ben.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

This is a curious phenomenom. By this I refer to Console Bashing.

Why don't we automobile-bash instead

I drive a Mazda and it is better than your _________ from the great nation of ______.

Oooh I finally get console bashing. Each console has it's weaknesses that we are jealous of in the other consoles so we have to resort to pettiness to justify our purchase.

My Mazda is fuel efficient which makes it better than your gas guzzling ________.

I love rocketpig’s and ChronotriggerJM’s answers. Debating over the pros and cons of different consoles while analyzing sales data and the like is just too damn fun to pass up. I wish more people could just enjoy a spirited debated instead of either flipping out because someone criticized their beloved console/manufacturer or wanting everyone to just hold hands and dance in a field of flowers. Of course, I’m not naïve enough to think people will ever stop either console bashing or criticizing people for console bashing.

As far as this generation goes with the Wii surprising so many people there just seems to be a lot more interesting things going on than last generation. Back then you had the PS2 dominating just like the PS1 eventually dominated and the Xbox/GameCube far behind and much to differentiate themselves. Now with the turnover in market leadership and the consoles going in different directions there’s a lot criticize and analyze.

zerosaurus said:

This is a curious phenomenom. By this I refer to Console Bashing.

Why don't we automobile-bash instead

I drive a Mazda and it is better than your _________ from the great nation of ______.

Oooh I finally get console bashing. Each console has it's weaknesses that we are jealous of in the other consoles so we have to resort to pettiness to justify our purchase.

My Mazda is fuel efficient which makes it better than your gas guzzling ________.

You silly Mazda fanboys never learn.  Yugos FTW.

All three consoles are excellent. All have excellent exclusives and there are lots of awesome multi-platform games.

Around the Network

Console bashing is not a new phenomenon. There was just as much console bashing in previous generations. There is no credible evidence to suggest otherwise either.

Well there wasn''t as much competition as there is now , with no clear winner everyone has the opportunity to go crazy.

Some people take Console issues very personally, like it's religion. One company is a blessing from god, while a different company is out to murder their family and tie them up so they can watch.

Like other's said, there really hasn't been a situation like this since Genesis / SNES era. Probably none of the consoles will sell less than 40m lifetime.

Alot of Nintendo fans are very glad that they are at the top, but I also think they are dissatisifed in not getting nearly 100% of the third party support like the PS2. Sometimes I think Nintendo is less in it against Sony than some of it's fanboys.

There are many Sony fans that are pissed because they will "have to share" this generation.

Microsoft fans are probably in the realization that Sony will be staying around. 2007 was supposed to be the year that Halo comes in and sweeps Sony out of the race and gets MGS4 and FF13, which didn't happen.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

well think of it. when the ps2 xbox and gc first came out, i didnt really see that many forums or websites like this one.

but now its 2008 and everyone has a pc and lots of sites like vg are being made.

but i think each console is good in its own way.