By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VF 5 for 360 to be better then PS3

ihira said:

Thanks for the reply. I uderstand the whole distance = lag concept so I was talking about an " if " situation where the 2 players and server are in close geographical location, say, within the same city / state.

Again excuse my example but I live in west coast Canada = close to Seattle or Vancouver and I connect to a CS server in California and achieve about 35-45 ping on average. Some people in this server are getting the 8-20 ms level which I assume they live relatively close to the server location i.e within the state of California. When 2 of these 8-20 ms people fight each other would that truely be only a 1/60~2/60 sec delay?

Side question: Does DOA4 have dedicated servers around the globe? player1 - server - player2

or do players connect directly? host player1 (0 ms) - player2

No problem. Your example (Why excuse? Nothing wrong with your example!) may have several explanations:

- You are quite close to California; well, a lot closer than I am to the US! That fact, coupled with the total bandwidth that North America, and especially the US have, will give you the average 40ms pings.

- The people on that server could be friends that live nearby; they may even be playing in the same location (LAN Cafe, LAN party), and probably through the same ISP, so it's no wonder they achieve those insanely low pings. Next time, check if those guys are part of a clan or something like that (easily identifiable by their telltale server names like "==The_Wolf_Clan==") and if you can, you can always text them in-game to find out (although they may be more busy fragging your laggy @$$ to reply! )

As for the 8-20ms, I think that you'd have no problem with lag at all, since (if my sucky-sucky math skills don't fail me yet again) 8ms = 1/125th of a second, which is higher than most people's framerates are anyhow.

I don't know about DOA4 (never played it online) but again, if those vast distances are to be accounted for, it won't matter if players connect directly; the packets will still take their precious time to travel to its destination, and 0ms pings are a pipe dream (or wet dream for "geographically challenged" people like myself)... 

Around the Network
ihira said:
Give this article a read if youre wondering the reasons behind the lack of online play for VF or fighting games in general. Don;t expect to see Tekken 6 online too... Why Virtua Fighter 5 shouldn't (and doesn't) have online multiplayer http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 I take it as an ego of the developers and making it an excuse to include it. I dont really understand why bother with a X360 version when PS3 version sold poorly in both Japan and NA.

The choice was made BEFORE the PS3 version went on sale. So sales had nothing to do with that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I am pretty sure Tekken is gonna have online this time, I can't be 100 percent but I'm pretty sure it will. Don't compare the needs of VF5 to the needs of Tekken it's not the same at all, VF5 is somewhere else altogether, you can say anything about which game is better or funner, but when it comes to precise pinpoint movements, VF is much more fine tuned and that is purposely so.

Tekken isn't targetting the same crowd as VF does anyway, it's more like DOA... 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Thing is, 90% of fighting game fans outside of Japan don't give a damn about Virtua Fighter. Gamers in the US and Europe care a lot more about Tekken and Soul Calibur when it comes to 3D fighting games.

As for not having online play, the frame-sensitive nature of the game has already been brought up, but since most of VF's money is made in arcades, Sega and AM2 aren't going to put much thought into the online aspect.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

VF5... Can you really polish a turd?

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network
Lord N said:

Thing is, 90% of fighting game fans outside of Japan don't give a damn about Virtua Fighter. Gamers in the US and Europe care a lot more about Tekken and Soul Calibur when it comes to 3D fighting games.

As for not having online play, the frame-sensitive nature of the game has already been brought up, but since most of VF's money is made in arcades, Sega and AM2 aren't going to put much thought into the online aspect.

The popularity of Tekken in the west is another reason why I am sure there will be online for Tekken 6 and I think it's manageable. I honestly don't think online for Virtua Fighter would be good with the way internet connections are right now...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

^^^

I'm sure it will, there's no doubt about it.

Online play would also serve to further its popularity because arcades have really declined in N. America and Europe.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

ckmlb said:

The popularity of Tekken in the west is another reason why I am sure there will be online for Tekken 6 and I think it's manageable. I honestly don't think online for Virtua Fighter would be good with the way internet connections are right now...

Tekken is just about as frame oriented based game as VF.  If VF isnt managable neither is tekken. 

DOA on the other hand is designed and tuned for online-lag play so thats a bit different.

Either way its always better to have a online play option than no online play.  It shouldnt hurt consumer players.

What it can possibly hurt is the arcade income and the arcade players.  Which is nearly dead outside of Japan and even in Japan, fighting games are already a niche group. 

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Thats ok, cause VF sucks anyway. Tekken is much better.

ms stands for millisecond, 1 thousanth of a second So 50 ms would be 0.05 second, thats fast enough for any game, including VF or Tekken. The problem is that most users will average between 150 - 300 ms. Being a quarter of a second slower then your opponnent does make a drastic difference, just ask any Halo/Gears of War player

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)