By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One DRM May Return in the Future

Damnyouall said:

I don't trust any corporation. Sony said they never intended to have DRM on PS4 in the first place, and they publically stated there won't be any. They put themselves in a position where they can't introduce a DRM-system akin to Microsoft's.

Microsoft just left the backdoor open to try again once people are locked in.

Yeah they said all that to bring more hate on ms and make there product more gamer frinedly  which now forced ms to pretty much take away there special stuff  its all about business

ms now has to go back to the drawing borad and find a way to bring all the features they had planed with a internet  connection to somehow work without one   

Around the Network
Seece said:
disolitude said:
Seece said:
Damnyouall said:
Azerth said:
Really no company 100% writes off anything

It's not about writing anything off 100%. It's about giving assurances. Sony publically stated that they won't have the kind of DRM envisioned by MS on PS4. They'll be held to that.
Apparently MS doen't want to be held to their sudden reversal.

Oh man, don't put such faith in Sony like they're saints. We have no idea what has happened behind closed doors and what has been considered.

For one Sony couldn't match Microsoft digital only offering even if they wanted to. They would need billions of dollars of extra server infrastructure which they don't currently have. They could pay Microsoft or Google to do it of them I guess... They will grow their digital footprint as the consumers demand it.

But that wans't even on the table for them behind closed doors at the moment. :)

I'm talking about the DRM thing, doesn't seem to me Sony would need to invest billions to implement the same strategy as MS.

@ Damnyouall - If there is one thing I've learnt its that it doesn't matter what these companies say it doesn't 'prevent' them from anything. It's not like they made a vocal contract with it's fans when they said that.

You're putting too much stock into what they're saying, which wouldn't actually affect what they wanted to do, if they chose to.

Gotcha.

I'm just thinking that when people talk about the 24 hour check and DRM they do it because of the benefits you get with being connected to the cloud all the time. Without that and those benefits, a DRM implementation like Microsoft had for Xbox One for Sony would be kind of pointless...

You would think that a big corporation would try to make good decisions and then really try not to back peddle on them. Because that's never good for public image. And one that's already tainted.

Still, we'll see how this plays out. I don't think MS ever promised they would keep being a good kid.

Azerth said:
Damnyouall said:

I don't trust any corporation. Sony said they never intended to have DRM on PS4 in the first place, and they publically stated there won't be any. They put themselves in a position where they can't introduce a DRM-system akin to Microsoft's.

Yeah they said all that to bring more hate on ms and make there product more gamer frinedly  which now forced ms to pretty much take away there special stuff  its all about business

ms now has to go back to the drawing borad and find a way to bring all the features they had planed with a internet  connection to somehow work without one   

The internet connect (once every 24 hours) was soleyl to check libraries so it could erase games if people had traded them in. With it gone they've confirmed you can't install your games and that's that. There isn't anything else they need to figure out.

@ Disolitude - I don't know why cloud even keeps coming up in this discussion, it's totally seperate in my eyes? Nothing today has effected their plans for it, whatever they may be.

NintendoPie said:
You would think that a big corporation would try to make good decisions and then really try not to back peddle on them. Because that's never good for public image. And one that's already tainted.

Still, we'll see how this plays out. I don't think MS ever promised they would keep being a good kid.

Of course they tried to make good decisions and I think they actually made good decisions but the crowd didn't want it so they changed it. Why force something on people what they don't want`?

@bold: I don't know any company did it ever. Well, actually no company is a good kid. Even Sony isn't (hard to believe, I know).

Around the Network

What should worry people is that they are doing this with a simple FW update. They're not completely taking what they have announced out of the system. It'll be all there at launch, only they are using a SW work around. That means that if they change their minds (not saying they will), all it will take is a simple FW update and everything is back to how they originally planned the Xbox One.

And I would imagine MS has also spent quite a bit of money putting everything in place for this DRM, including a special network for retailers to go through if they want to sell One SW. Not sure if they are willing for that money to go to waste, completely.

walsufnir said:

Of course they tried to make good decisions and I think they actually made good decisions but the crowd didn't want it so they changed it. Why force something on people what they don't want`?

@bold: I don't know any company did it ever. Well, actually no company is a good kid. Even Sony isn't (hard to believe, I know).

Some kids are just lesser of an evil. And MS can be part that group, and I'm sure they'll try their hardest (well, you would think) to get out of the hole they dug themselves. If they keep up with this turn around, then I'm sure people will forgive them, slightly. But if they take back what they said..... that would be bad....

(Boy I've been throwing that term around a lot...)

thismeintiel said:
What should worry people is that they are doing this with a simple FW update. They're not completely taking what they have announced out of the system. It'll be all there at launch, only they are using a SW work around. That means that if they change their minds (not saying they will), all it will take is a simple FW update and everything is back to how they originally planned the Xbox One.

And I would imagine MS has also spent quite a bit of money putting everything in place for this DRM, including a special network for retailers to go through if they want to sell One SW. Not sure if they are willing for that money to go to waste, completely.

How do you know all this?

And sometimes companies make bad calls and make a loss, Microsoft did so with a company they bought years and years ago and lost $500 mill on it last year or something? I didn't think they would go back on these plans but they have, and now they have I find it really unfesible they'll change half way through which would cause an unimaginable shitstorm. It just sounds like ya'll trying to convince yourselves it's gonna happen?

Like I said, expect MS (and Sony) to be planning fully digital consoles for 2020 launch.

thismeintiel said:

This is because DRM *is* software, if you don't know. You should especially know what firmware-updates can do and remove or add to systems. Sony could also implement DRM afterwards.

The costs I think are not that high. MS already had a global high-speed network so perhaps yes, there were costs, but it's not that they bury servers now in the desert.

Seece said:
Azerth said:
Damnyouall said:

The internet connect (once every 24 hours) was soleyl to check libraries so it could erase games if people had traded them in. With it gone they've confirmed you can't install your games and that's that. There isn't anything else they need to figure out.

@ Disolitude - I don't know why cloud even keeps coming up in this discussion, it's totally seperate in my eyes? Nothing today has effected their plans for it, whatever they may be.

Which would have allowed there game sharing feature which is now no longer availabe