By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Looking for some D&D based movies

So I was looking through some movies and I came across Mazes and Monsters and decided I would actually give that movie a go.  Thinking some more, I decided I wanted some other D&D based movies.

Anyone have some suggestions?  They really don't have to be good as I often enjoy bad movies too, though don't even think about mentioning the Dungeons and Dragons movie (seen it and it pisses me off).

Around the Network

there is some sort of animated movie about Dragonlance that just came out.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

I would like to see some myself, but I have no recommendations I'm afraid! You're a roleplayer twesterm?

Mummelmann said:
I would like to see some myself, but I have no recommendations I'm afraid! You're a roleplayer twesterm?

Yup, just got finished preparing for tomorrow nights game a little while ago and that's what game me the idea to look for some D&D movies.

Random but funny--  I actually put my roleplaying, DM, and campaign creation experience on my resume. 

valen200 said:

Buhuh!? Really? Which novels are they based off of and what are they called?

Depending on how wide your taste and definition of "movie" is, you might enjoy the anime Record of Lodoss War. It's basically the story of an extremely typical DnD group turned into two separate anime series, so kinda like Drizzt done by the Japs. Not exactly what you were asking for, but I'm taking this chance to plug my childhood favorite. =P

Wikipedia article and opening on Youtube.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Mummelmann said:

Yup, just got finished preparing for tomorrow nights game a little while ago and that's what game me the idea to look for some D&D movies.

Random but funny-- I actually put my roleplaying, DM, and campaign creation experience on my resume.

valen200 said:

Way cool! What system and campaign are you using? I've been inactive for a few years now, but we played all the time from I was age 9 and up until I hit the 20's.

I've tried a whole lot of RPG's, from all genres. I do own quite a lot of RPG resources still, I have Vampire the Masquerade, Rolemaster and D20, the latter two with a bunch of extras and compendiums! 

@Bolded; why not? I've made 3-4 different campaigns ranging from modern day to Battletech inspired sci-fi and of course fantasy settings. It's really hard and time consuming work and takes a quick wit and a huge creativity-gland!

The very first game I played was AD&D Underdark Campaign, and I got so emotionally attached to my character (whom I played for over 2 years) that I made him a supporting character in my book.

Parokki said:
Depending on how wide your taste and definition of "movie" is, you might enjoy the anime Record of Lodoss War. It's basically the story of an extremely typical DnD group turned into two separate anime series, so kinda like Drizzt done by the Japs. Not exactly what you were asking for, but I'm taking this chance to plug my childhood favorite. =P

I love that series! Epic!

Parokki said:

Already seen Record of Lodoss War and loved it, which is odd because I generally don't like the vast majority anime.  I use to have all the VHS tapes and it took me freaking forever to get all those.

Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:
Mummelmann said:

Random but funny-- I actually put my roleplaying, DM, and campaign creation experience on my resume.

valen200 said:

Way cool! What system and campaign are you using? I've been inactive for a few years now, but we played all the time from I was age 9 and up until I hit the 20's.

I've tried a whole lot of RPG's, from all genres. I do own quite a lot of RPG resources still, I have Vampire the Masquerade, Rolemaster and D20, the latter two with a bunch of extras and compendiums!

@Bolded; why not? I've made 3-4 different campaigns ranging from modern day to Battletech inspired sci-fi and of course fantasy settings. It's really hard and time consuming work and takes a quick wit and a huge creativity-gland!

The very first game I played was AD&D Underdark Campaign, and I got so emotionally attached to my character (whom I played for over 2 years) that I made him a supporting character in my book.

I only started playing D&D back in 2000 when 3rd edition first came out (I think it was 2000) but I've loved it ever since.  I've played a few other systems, but I really like the d20 system the most.

I actually use my own world I created because it really is just so much easier.  I don't have to live in the rules of that world, I can allow or  disallow things as I see fit, and it just allows me to have so much more creativity when I'm running the game. 

The campaign I'm running now is one I've been working on for nearly 15 years (was originally a book I was trying to write before I started playing D&D) and this is 4th time I've ran it.  It generally takes about a few years to finish the whole thing and brings characters from level 3 to somewhere in the high 20's and everyone I've ran it with has loved it so far.  I'm definitely very attached to the characters in this campaign, especially the villain.

I've borrowed things from A LOT of different sources but the villain is probably what would happen if Kefka and Emma Frost had a baby.  It pretty is about her journey from lackey to godhood to crazy powerful psycho bitch who harnesses the power of the father of the gods and the story revolves around her rather than the player group.  I think it actually makes things a little more interesting to have a world revolve around someone else rather than the group and so far people have liked it.

^
Fantastic! I also make it a point to not make the world revolve around the PC's, its unnatural and unlikely imo!
We've only played D20 the last years, and I simply love the system; it has a lot more depth than AD&D and none of the tedious tables and endless "everythingness"of Rolemaster and it contains tactical elements which are unique in the RPG world as far I know.
To me, making my own world is very rewarding and great fun in and on itself even if one never utilizes it as a gaming world, and I've actually learned just as much from these processes that I have from most my school years.
My english also advanced incredibly over my peers when we started playing, and at age 11 I could perfectly well read a whole fantasy novel (started with Legend Of Huma of the Dragonlance series then), even though it took me a while.
Every scrap of source material or rules/system was in english, so we had no choice but to adapt (and it helped having a friend whose mother is an American at times).

Good to know that some of the frequent users here play good 'ole pen & paper RPG's! Had I a group to play with, I would've been doing it right now...