By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Which resolution should I get with new HDTV?

Strange question; 1080p for sure.
The price would be about 15-20% higher, but the whole set would be better. Sets with full HD mostly also have better contrast, color and light.

Around the Network

I guess I'll get 1080p. Is there anything else I should be looking for in the new tv.

I could only see part of your chart. Wth there is 1440p wow does anybody have one of those. Even if they did why would you buy one when nothing supports it.

I've seen that graph before! ^ :)

I'd go for 1080p if you can afford it - it's the native res of high def movies, and once the prices start to come down for the players, you might want one.

It's not as bad as it was a year or so ago when 1080p really inflated the price of tv's vs. 720p.

I have a 42", and it's not too hard to tell the difference from 6-7 ft as long as nothing is wrong with your eyesight.

Around the Network

sorry - chart should be fixed now.

basically it shows that you need to be sitting close to your tv or have a really big tv in order for higher resolutions to matter. figure out what size and viewing distance you want and then see if it's worth your money to get 1080 or not.

Get 1080 if you dont mind paying a little more, but I think it's not THAT big a difference to make it super important, unless you really want the absolute best picture. The brand you get is probably more important to the picture than 720 or 1080.

sc94597 said:
I guess I'll get 1080p. Is there anything else I should be looking for in the new tv.

Low response time (less than 8ms is better but also costs a wee bit more), good contrast at about 8-10.000:1 and a wide view angle, preferably over 160 degrees. Color is quite good in almost all new sets regardless of make or model. 

Go for 1080p. Just got a 61" last week and it is incredible.