By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube controller

The cable's pretty short for GC (2-2.5m?).

If that would be inconvenient with how your wii's set up, go wireless. If not, go rumble.

Around the Network

It's all about the Wavebird for me. Comfort-wise, it feels incredible, and the GC chord is ridiculously short. Plus, playing Brawl won't be at its peak unless you have a GC controller.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

i would go with gc. im just used to it with melee.

Munkeh111 said:
Avalach21 said:
I like Bacon said:
Munkeh111 said:
1. Does wii have full backwards compat (is it software or hardware?)
2. do original GC controllers work with wii, cause my friend told me they dont

1.5. Software is games, hardware is the console

by "is it software or hardware" he meant, is the Wii backwards compatible through emulation (software) or is the actual hardware running the game.

correct, but it is purely out of interest in how Nintedo have done backwards compatibility as opposed to their rivals, and they certainly win, but of course, they do not really need to be concerned finding ways to reduce the cost

It is hardware compatibility, if you're interested. The Wii CPU and GPU are faster-clocked versions of the GC core type (so there's no additional cost either). They lock the components into the lower speed and functionality when a GC game is put in. This provides perfect compatibility, not emulation. It also means you can't hack into the Wii with a GC disk because the GC game "knows" it is only in a Gamecube.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Munkeh111 said:
1. Does wii have full backwards compat (is it software or hardware?)
2. do original GC controllers work with wii, cause my friend told me they dont

1- As far as I know, all games work perfectly (it's hardware). LAN and online play don't work though. You need a GC memory card to save games (they're dirt cheap if you buy them used nowadays)
2- Yes, they do.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

get a wavebird, but hurry since Nintendo is not producing those anymore.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Wavebird it is then. Just changed my order at dvdcrave for it. Now all I have is to wait until they get Wii Play in stock so the whole order can be shipped to me.

Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I don't have any VC games, but a few of my friends who do tell me they eventually bought classic controllers, mostly because the default controls for many games were horrible, and there was no way to change them.

The Gamecube controller is the only way to play GC games, so I recommend you get a few if you're interested, but the classic is pretty much the way to go with older stuff.

I'd definitely recommend a Wavebird, you don't even need to buy rechargables for those things, any batteries last absolutely ages in it :)

It's a very well built sturdy controller too (tell me a Nintendo product that isn't sturdy!) The lack of rumble does suck for some games, but given how stupidly short the GC controller chords are, you'll forgive it quite easily for the wireless freedom.

Basically, stock up on at least one wired gamecube controller, and a Wavebird.

I've found they're rubbish for all VC games except the N64 titles. Mario 64 on a GC controller feels so natural you wouldn't believe it, the same goes for most other N64 titles too.

But yeah, besides all that haha, the Classic Controllers are a worthwhile investment too :)

Will get only a Wavebird at start. Then maybe I'll pickup a wired GC controller or a classic controller.