By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Anyone Played Metal Gear Solid (for GBC)?

I was surprised to see that this was the best rated portable game of all time. I haven't really heard much about it. Was it popular back when it was released? Would it be worth it to buy it now?

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)
Around the Network

link?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I have it. It was actually the first MGS game I ever bought. What I played, I enjoyed, but I didn't even come close to finishing it. I got to a part where I had to blow a whole in a wall to rescue a scientist, but I couldn't get through the door cutting me off from the wall because I didn't have the right key card.

The only other place I could get to was this warehouse containing a maze of conveyor belts. You would start on one conveyor belt, then turn onto others depending on what color box you had equipped at the time. I didn't have all the boxes, and couldn't find my way through the maze, so I eventually I just gave up.

It's akin to the older MSX/NES Metal Gears, but I'd definitely recommend picking it up if you can get it for under $20.

I've played it, it's good, but not the same.

Maybe it's just personal nostalgia, but it just doesn't feel the same as firing it up on the old PS1 game.

If it's anything like the old MSX Metal Gears then I would try to find it. I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer to play the old metal gear games to the new ones.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

Nevermind...

kingofwale said:
link?

I just used Game Rankings and looked at the top games for each portable system one by one, using a minimum of 10 reviews. Metal Gear Solid has an average rating of 95.922%. Second place (Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3) isn't even close, with an average rating of 92.592%.

Page for Metal Gear Solid: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914401.asp

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)

thanks for the link, because i thought you meant here on VGC,

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

it's a great game. has the same view point as the MSX/NES original but with additional gameplay mechanics (eg pressing up against walls) and MGS style art design.

has a pretty good difficulty factor and contains the sneaking around (and frantic running when discovered) gameplay that we all come to love in our Metal Gear games.

Here are some screens: