By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X360 Sales: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare to pass Gears of War..

Currently Cod 4 has sold 4.50 million copies, while Gears of War has sold 4.94 million. With the Activision shooter still selling at an incredible rate it is sure to pass Gears of War. Some say it has a chance at passing Halo 3, It deserves to because it is a better game but it won't.

Your opinion?????

Around the Network

Will pass Gears in like 6 weeks and both will pass 5 million, it wont pass Halo 3 as COD 5 will cut its sales off and Halo is still selling 50k a week and COD 4 is at 100k so only 50k a week surplus, it would need to sustain that advantage for a year to pass Halo and it will only continue to decrease.. should end up close than we all would have thought but.

COD 4 is a better game, but i think halo is still more fun online.

I agree, the main reason why cod 4 won't pass halo 3 is because of cod 5.

Sales are quite phenomenal considering it's the 4th entry in the franchise..I just hope too many people won't get burned by this years' (probably) inferior update...If they updated every 2 years LTD sales would be stunning...I can still see COD4 picking up big sales xmas'08, especially if COD5 get mediocre reviews...

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

well after 2 and 3 doing 2m a piece, plus minor saless on PS3 (for COD 3) then COD 4 comming out and selling a massive 7m in 2007 and total will easily pass 10m, you would think is it worth releasing an inferior treyarch WW2 sequel and get another 2m sales? or wait another year and release a COD 5 Future Warfare for another 5m - 8m easy sales??

i know which way i would go.

Around the Network

COD4 was a great game. It's going to outsell GoW because the user base when COD4 was a must have game is bigger than when GoW was a must have game. Just wait until Gears and Call of Duty 4 go on sale for discounted prices! Both of these games are going to sell a lot more copies!

^^^^^ Good point, by the time Gears 2 comes out it will have cod 4 like numbers if not better.

COD4 has really been a stunning success. It smashed a fairly established pattern of sales to little bits, with competition from Halo 3 of all games.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Unfortunately, Activision are run by a bunch of greedy idiots. No more WW2 games need to be made featuring the word "duty" , "call", "medal" or "heroes".

Halo 3 has such huge sales because it's a huge IP. COD doesn't have that advantage in the fact that COD3 sucked, and while COD2 on X360 was great, it was a launch game (which did awesomely I might add).

COD4 should wind up between 6-7m on the X360 alone - a huge achievement for the game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I have yet to actually play the game, besides a short PC demo (reminded me of Delta Force: Black Hawk Down for some reason), but its good to see that a seeming underdog can really break through and make it big!
I must say I am absolutely stunned at this games sales, they're far beyond my wildest expectations! (I figured max 1.8-2 million per platform...).