By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What happens with XBOX ONE content usage after the XBOX ONE is done?

richardhutnik said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
richardhutnik said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
I think people are missing the point of having an online device

The point of an online device is to have it so that content you had been using stops working?  So, you don't have any degree of permanence with content you have at all?

What makes you assume that service for the xbox one will drop after a new xbox device is annouced?...The only thing that would make our OP make sense is if MS drops out of the gaming console buisness after Xbone...which i doubt highly...

What happens to XBOX ONE content after the XBOX ONE is no longer in production?

Same thing that happend to Xbox..same thing that's going to happen to Xbox 360...Live will stay available for a certian number of years...In Xbone's case it should much longer than both..

Around the Network

Simple. You buy a 360.

I would probably buy one one now if they promise to unlock the games after a few years. But I'm not sure this would work / is possible. Just imagine if every disc / game works strictly with a server side key. They could probably disable the 24 hours check; but if the box breaks, I guess that's it.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Who knows yet.

Since its all being pushed to digital and potentially streaming... it could still exist.

However MS is setting the precedent that its all stuck on XBone just as X360 software is stuck on X360.

richardhutnik said:

Any idea what will happen after the XBOX ONE is done, and they have moved beyond the ONE to something else?  Is there any guarantee that the content you bought will be playable on the next console, or even if the XBOX ONE consoles will still work, and they keep the authentication servers up?  Or, will they patch the system so you they don't need to check the authentication servers which they then could eliminate?

Anyone have any idea what Microsoft would do?  Or is it, as people tend to say, by this time, your games you buy no won't matter anyhow, because who plays old games these days, right?

I'm gonna have to say it will be useless. This is one of my biggeswt problems with this push by MS. Consoles have been the exception to the PC market and it has done so much better because of it. I love my PC games but I almost NEVER buy new full priced games on PC ( I have purchased 2 in the last 5 years) I always wait until they are like 50-75% off. I don;t buy a lot of new console games either but I do buy more because I know I can trade them in or sell em to a killer on Craig's list or to some chump on Ebay.

With MS trying to push consoles to be more like the PC landsacape and these 24 hour checks I have a hard time beleiving that once they stop supporting the XBone they will just be able to shut that requirement off. I think they would have done so by now with all the uproar over it (then again it is MS).

I just can't see MS going through the trouble patch the console they are moving away from to allow you to continue to enjoy your purchased games long after the XBone is gone.

I suspect that we will see another generation of illegally chipped Xbox consoles (chipped 360s are in just about every country on the planet) around the world and pirated copies of their games as well.

I'm still upset that I can't play some of my PS1 games on the PS4. So yeah I play my old games ;)

Around the Network

well to take this dive would require trust. trust not to get screwed over.

lets see how it works out in a few years. i always keep my old consoles, well almost all. But i do go back from time to time to enjoy those old games, when that might be impossible bc i never owned it then i have a problem, like many others out there who invest alot of money in these devices. history isnt on M$ side though. yeah an update could fix it but will they do that?

kurasakiichimaru said:
Simple. You buy a 360.

Do you mean a used 360?  By the time the ONE will be gone, the 360 will be gone also.

Guarantee? No.

Though considering the sheer server size of their cloud... there probably isn't much to worry about.

This ^

richardhutnik said:

Any idea what will happen after the XBOX ONE is done, and they have moved beyond the ONE to something else?  Is there any guarantee that the content you bought will be playable on the next console, or even if the XBOX ONE consoles will still work, and they keep the authentication servers up?  Or, will they patch the system so you they don't need to check the authentication servers which they then could eliminate?

Anyone have any idea what Microsoft would do?  Or is it, as people tend to say, by this time, your games you buy no won't matter anyhow, because who plays old games these days, right?

Well, Microsoft has a track record here already.

When Microsoft ceased the PlayForSure DRM solution and moved onto the PlayReady DRM solution, all the content available through PlayForSure worked with PlayReady.  If Microsoft ceased using the DRM solution on the Xbox One than the content would still be accessible using the new solution's servers.  The content itself would still be playable on the Xbox One, the servers  and the services themselves would just be different.