By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In-depth analysis of industry, predictions

Doktor85 said:
2nd -> 3rd 88% growth (much more games were released compared to 1st gen)
3rd -> 4th 33% growth (normal growth)
4th -> 5th 50% growth (entering 3d era)
5th -> 6th 27% growth (normal growth)

Average growth 88+33+50+27=198 198/4= 50%
Extrapolation 190*1,5=285mln (until the last 360/PS3/Wii is sold)

If this generation didn't had a Wii-mote. The growth for the 7th generation would be minimal. The market would stagnate. I think the growth can be cut in half when looking at the last growth 27%. So this generation would only accomplish 14% growth if there wasn't a Wii-mote.

The problem is how big is motion control? Is it bigger than 3D? Almost every genre went from 2d to 3d. The Wii isn't delivering the new experience in many different genres. On the other side Wii games are easier to play, while 3D games were more complex.

6th -> 7th (min 217mln) and max (???mln)

What the future holds?
PS3: It's still struggling for Break Even. They will accomplish (2nd place). Sony wants it as long as possible on the market.
Wii: Well don't interrupt a winning formula. Nintendo won't take the first step into next generation.
360: It will likely and up in a 3rd place, although it's profitable Microsoft wants to benefit again with the first next gen console. They also have a vision: Our third Xbox will own them all. (Read it a few years ago, can't find article)

I think that 88% is just too far out of proportion to give it equal weight (a VERY different era, and smaller bases often lead to exaggerated percentages). Even the 50% of the 5th gen is a tad high - it's "new" gamers were basically then-traditional gamers that were out of high school, so they were already "game friendly" and easy to tap. The Wii's growth is into a completely alien demographic, and should therefore expect much higher resistance. A growth of around 30%, to 250m, seems far more plausible (unless multiple console homes becomes a much bigger factor, which is possible).

On the future?

The Wii? It's doomed. A Wii2 will come out in 2011 at the latest, and Nintendo, not being stupid, will do all it can to push the Wii market to the successor (which will almost certainly be BC) so it's sales won't be cannibalized ala the PS2/PS3. I'm not sure that the Wii2 will make any more radical improvements, but it will certainly refine what works now.

Sony and MS have to be a bit worried right now - the Wii has completely upended prior beliefs about what a "next gen" console must be like. And if they think developers are complaining about high development costs now, what do they think will happen if the PS4 and XBox720 "improve" by another order of magnitude? Honestly I expect those consoles to focus less on improved horsepower than on added features. I don't expect either to push the price margins again (esp Sony), and they may not even go with multiple price points this time (has that really helped anyone?). And just as the Wii2 will incorporate high-def, the Sony and MS consoles will have to incorporate motion controls or something similar in their nextgen conoles.

Around the Network

The Wii? It's doomed. A Wii2 will come out in 2011 at the latest, and Nintendo, not being stupid, will do all it can to push the Wii market to the successor (which will almost certainly be BC) so it's sales won't be cannibalized ala the PS2/PS3. I'm not sure that the Wii2 will make any more radical improvements, but it will certainly refine what works now.

Why? Nitnendo is about profits, Why kill a console which is making big profits unless a successor is needed, unless MS and Sony threaten the Wii marjet there is no reason to rush a successor to market

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

That's exactly why I think the Wii2 will be yet another unique experience, a la DS vs. GBA.

When Nintendo released the DS, they specifically stated it was not a successor/replacement to the GBA, but instead a "third pillar". They continued supporting the GBA for quite some time, but obviously just to satisfy people who didn't want to upgrade to the DS.

I think the "Wii2" (which it will NOT be, in ANY way, a "new Wii", by the way. It'll introduce yet another unique aspect into the mainstream gaming world) will be like that - Nintendo will release it and specifically state that it's NOT a successor to the Wii - but in all actuality, it will end up serving as one. It's just to make the transition between generations smoother and less abrupt, allowing adoption of the new console easier to carry out, especially if it does something funky, like the DS did.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I agree it will be very different, but it won't be out ibefore 2013, unless another company threatens to release a system which could cut the Wii market, Nitnedo would much rather spend their time making profits and refining their next innovation

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I agree with the following predictions:
Market leaders this generation
Wii - Too big, too long to be a fad. Hasn't met demand yet, much less needed a price drop to move its produce.
PS3 - Will come in second. A bit dazed that it lost its leadership, but happy that Bluray is established and raking in the coin.
X360 - Third. But apparently happy that it probably will be profitable.

Out with the next generation.
MS first again. Tho considering the knock that RROD hit them with, the quality should be better. Some what cheaper, learning from the Wii example.
Wii second. But I agree that the Wii itself could gone on for a bit, like GBA did with DS, and PS2 is doing for the PS3. The point is you don't scrap a winner when it is still bringing in the money.
Sony third. I wonder what they will have learned from the Wii's success?

One area not mentioned in any prediction here is a very good size market that isn't being tapped yet. Namely, India and China. The first company that can successfully break into the upper middle class, who have the money for these 'toys', will add a lot of customers.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network
Renar said:
Wii - Too big, too long to be a fad. Hasn't met demand yet, much less needed a price drop to move its produce.
PS3 - Will come in second. A bit dazed that it lost its leadership, but happy that Bluray is established and raking in the coin.

MS first again. Tho considering the knock that RROD hit them with, the quality should be better. Some what cheaper, learning from the Wii example.
Wii second. But I agree that the Wii itself could gone on for a bit, like GBA did with DS, and PS2 is doing for the PS3. The point is you don't scrap a winner when it is still bringing in the money.

One area not mentioned in any prediction here is a very good size market that isn't being tapped yet. Namely, India and China. The first company that can successfully break into the upper middle class, who have the money for these 'toys', will add a lot of customers.

You say you don't scrap a winner but then you say Wii will be out second, sorry does not compute, if anything the Wii winning will lead Nintendo to be the last out next gen

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Renar said:

You say you don't scrap a winner but then you say Wii will be out second, sorry does not compute, if anything the Wii winning will lead Nintendo to be the last out next gen

GBA and DS Phat were winners too.  But both got replaced before Sony could get a stranglehold on the handheld market.  Yet neither were scrapped, until they no longer sold (with GBA still hanging in there).  

If some system is eventually going to replace your system, which some system eventually will, you want to make damn sure it is *your* next gen system that replaces it.  Of course, you want to do a slightly better job than what Sony's PS3 is doing to replace the PS2.  It could be agrued, I suppose, that PS2 is not "willing" to be replaced.  But this year will see its sales slip even with a price cut. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

kingofwale said:
I have no idea why Fitness freaks would love Wii that much.

sure, maybe Fitness wannabes who are too lazy to go to the gym, but hardcore fitness freaks???

Let's pray Wii doesn't last over 10 years, I think most people here would love to have Wii 2 instead after 6 years.

MUCH better graphics, HD graphics, better Wiimote, bigger harddrive, better onlineplay, NO friendcode...

wii lasting 10 years would still mean wii2 in 6 years...just like ps2 is still going even tho we have ps3

and he means fitness freaks as in the ones who buy abcizers and thighmasters, not the ones who go to the gym or actually consistently work out

there is a HUGE market for those 'casual fitness items'

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
darthdevidem01 said:
I feel this gen will end as follows:

In Ranks:

1. Nintendo Wii --180 Million--- Ninty back on top with the Wii

2. Sony Playstation 3 --80 Million---Some people may say a bit too high but this will come due a VERY LONg lifespan

3. Microsoft Xbox 360 --40 million---No comments

#2 doesn't compute

either ps3 will do well and sell 80mil in 5-6 years or it won't get to 80mil...because if it can't sell well enough to do that, then it won't have a 'very long lifespan'...consoles not selling that well don't have very long lifespans

after 5 years, if wii is at 120-150+ and ps3 is at 50-70, then sony will need to come out with a new console with full motion controls to be able to compete....they won't just keep ps3 around forever when it's not selling great

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp