By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Have Three SKUs, $399-$599

Today, Microsoft revealed the price of Xbox One. It appears there will be a single SKU of the console, and it will cost $499. With Sony’s conference in mere hours, speculation is buzzing about what the company intends on doing with PlayStation 4’s pricing.

A rumor posted on Games Industry International suggests that Sony may be taking a three-pronged approach, going with three separate SKUs that will cost as little as $399 and as much as $599. It remains to be seen if this is true, of course, though the rumor states that Sony intends on clearing everything up pricing-wise this evening.

We’ll have to sit tight for just a few more hours and see if this rumor ends up being true or not. In the meantime, speculate in the comments: how much would you be willing to pay for a PlayStation 4?

SOURCE: IGN

A $399 version would be amazing. Praying for that to be true.

Around the Network

Man, I hope this is true.

I can see a PS4 w/ Move, Plus, an such for $599. But I can't think of anything to distinguish a $399 and $499 model aside from HDD size (which wouldn't warrant a $100 difference).

Anyway, one more hour.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Sony just CAN'T announce a 599 version. The mocking potential would be terrific.

It has to be 499 max or else it sounds just too expensive even if the worth is there.

Maybe Vita/PS4/NewMove w/ 1 year Plus for $599

I'd buy!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

399, make it happen!

Around the Network

it will be 2 sku the $399 and $499 :)
i will buy the $499

How could they do that? The technology costs alot of money, what would the cheaper version miss out on that the premium one would get?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I hate the multiple SKU releases. One version is always sold out, one is ignored, and the other is average.

Not to mention some will get discontinued, others will be adjusted over time, and the specs for what you are actually getting with your console become blurred to those who aren't educated.

Please just one. Two max.

Everybody think twice about hoping for something like this.

If there is a price difference of $100 between the versions something pretty fundamental is likely missing. Remember the Xbox 360 Core version? And then later the Xbox 360 20GB version (after they brought out the 60GB)? They were both extraordinarily shunned.

Edit:  The same thing broadly happened with the shit version of the PS3 at launch.  Even though the better one was $599 it still sold better, by far!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

if they were smart they announce a $399 skew and waaaay later add extra bundles. if they give so much as 1 second to higher cost skews they are going to loose the message of being cheaper.