By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is 'Mature' media.

Just want to get everyone's take on what the feel is true 'Mature' media (games, movies, music, books, etc)

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

Blood and boobs, of course.

/sarcasm

I don't have a definition of mature, but I think the common definition is pretty damned adolescent.

Well, when a game gets a Mature rating, it's not because the content is mature, but because you're supposed to be mature enough to responsibly handle such content.

Think about it: what game is more 'mature'? GTA, where you drive around blowing crap up and shooting people, or Zelda, where you have complex puzzles to solve and an intricate plotline?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Mature media can be the following:

- Anything Sony
- Anything Microsoft
- Anything non-Nintendo
- Pointless violence
- Crime simulation
- Prostitute beating
- Ratchet and Clank
- Banjo Kazooie since their non-Nintendo now
- Genitalia electrocution
- 10 y/o @ XBL
- Anything non-Nintendo

Really, I think it's a matter of content rather than the violence itself. I'll take for example Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto. The former has complex character development, deep storyline and etc. The later is not much more than free violence. Therefore, I consider MG a more mature game than GTA. Actually, pre-teens love GTA.

A mature rating means the content is not appropriate for younger gamers. However, in my definition, I don't consider Grand Theft Auto a mature game, since many of those who enjoy it are junior high school students, who are not at all mature. I generally consider RPGs to be very mature, since there is generally a very good story and lots of well-developed characters.

Around the Network

I don't necesarrily mean "A Mature Rating," I mean just mature media.

What is a mature game? What is a mature gamer?
What is mature music? What is a mature listener?
What is a mature movie? What is a mature audiance?
What is a mature novel? What is a mature reader?

etc

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Depending on what you are looking for.

The usual rating for Mature = Violence, Blood, Gore, etc.

However, some may view 'mature' as complexity, meaningful, sophisticated and so on. I like this definition more than the former.

In addition, many adults already have enough headaches in their lives, so another way to define 'mature' is simple, slice-of-life, and/or lighthearted. So in that way, a mature game is simply something they can use to relax. Any sort of provoking actions or excitements are subtle.

In anime/manga that are for young adult, it usually falls into the last one, sometime the second one. All the fighting, stuffs deem to be exciting (i.e. Naruto, Bleach--not really imo, but meh), usually fall to boy teenager category.

It can also be a mixture of the three.

There is also a post that Bod made somewhere about this topic as well; it is pretty accurate imo.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Violence, and sex in games are not suited for young children, as well as rough language.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I can't really define it but I know it when I see it.

zackblue said:
Violence, and sex in games are not suited for young children, as well as rough language.

Pretty much the only issue I have with that definition is that Adult =/= Mature. There are quite a bunch of adults who are immature imo. So while Violence/Sex are not for young children, I don't see how they can translate well into the Mature. I think that's the gap as to why some don't agree with why they are "Mature Content," and why there's this thread in the first place.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154