By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With all the talk about Yahoo, imagine if MS was trying to buy Sony instead

I think a Microsoft/Sony merger of some kind would benefit both companies:

-Sony is good at hardware which would go well with Microsoft's software focus.

-Microsoft could move Microsoft Game Studios under Sony Computer Entertaiment allowing Sony to control it.

-Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division could be phased out with anything worthwhile (people/technology) moved to Sony

-Microsoft would gain entry into cell phones, portable media players, etc,  thanks to Sony

-Microsoft could phase out the Xbox brand and finally have success in Japan (Playstation 4 would be a monster console with franchises such as Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo Kazooie, Fable, God of War, Resistance, etc and likely have control of other key franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Final Fantasy, EA Sports, etc.)

-Microsoft software technology could go into Blu-Ray

-Sony/Microsoft could take on Apple, a common enemy

-Microsoft could control study/home office while Sony controls livingroom, there would no longer be a rivalry between them that is hurting either's chances of controlling the livingroom.

-Sony's media empire could help Microsoft it in's online fight against Google and Yahoo

I really think such a merger could play on the strengths of both companies and create a hardware/software/media powerhouse.

Around the Network

I don't think it would be good... Monopolies suck

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

It would benefit both companies yes. However both are massive and so exceptional management and leadership would be needed to avoid loss of control and direction. It would not be good for consumers as if sony & ms merged I doubt Apple, Google & Nintendo would be able to stand against them, unless they all merged too.

This powerhouse you speak off would cost ALOT more without competition.

Unfortunately, Sony is currently worth 20% more than Yahoo which is quite significant (EDIT - and that's after Yahoo's value rose immensely due to these news, if I compare it with yesterday's worth then Sony is worth 77% more than Yahoo was). It's also not in a particularly difficult period as Yahoo is.

These two things make it very hard for MS to buy Sony (not that they'd want to I guess).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Yeah they really would. Too bad it won't happen due to most japanese companies having a kind of xenophobic/national pride stance of not selling out to non japanese companies.

That would be one scary-huge corporation. Icky.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
That would be one scary-huge corporation. Icky.
 I want a Sony-Microsoft merger even less than I would want Wal-mart to suddenly enter the game industry. I kinda wish some corporation would just be happy with the giant pile of money they have. 

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Legend11 said:

-Microsoft could move Sony Computer Entertaiment under Microsoft Game Studios allowing them to control it.

-Sony could be phased out with anything worthwhile (people/technology) moved to Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division

-Microsoft could phase out the Playstation brand and finally have success in Japan (Xbox 3 would be a monster console with franchises such as Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo Kazooie, Fable, God of War, Resistance, etc and likely have control of other key franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Final Fantasy, EA Sports, etc.)

-Microsoft could drop Blu-Ray, allowing for their investment in HD-DVD to pay dividends.

Fixed.

Well, thats what I would do.

Also, Sony is worth less than MS offered for Yahoo.

RolStoppable said:
Legend11 said:

-Microsoft could phase out the Xbox brand and finally have success in Japan (Playstation 4 would be a monster console with franchises such as Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo Kazooie, Fable, God of War, Resistance, etc and likely have control of other key franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Final Fantasy, EA Sports, etc.)

That's an interesting point. If this hypothetical Playstation 4 from MS/Sony would have all these games you mentioned and we take out the franchises that generally don't sell a whole lot in Japan we are left with Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy. Exactly what Sony's Playstation 3 has now. It takes much more than that to win over Japan.

The console would likely be a huge success in North America and Europe (more so than just a Sony only or Microsoft only console) which would make it more attractive to Japanese third parties.  Add to that the money that both Sony and Microsoft now spend on getting exclusives to their consoles would be combined to get even more exclusives to the Sony/Microsoft console.