By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 install base in Australia

Imthelegend said:
Its not because of blu ray its because they they arnt selling enough consoles(I know people will think Im trolling but the ps3 is just above 1/2 of the sales of wii and 360 so it makes sense to get more consoles out there).

What might come back to bite them is that some people who got the free ps3 are selling them to make some of the money back. Therefore less people are buying new ps3's because they are buying second hand ones.

I'm pretty sure its part of their blu-ray program, in most other countries they are pairing their Bravia series with a Blu-ray stand alone, but like I said, due to the low installbase of the PS3 in that area they may have chosen to switch it to a PS3, which I think should be done all over the globe, because its a double win, a PS3, and Blu-ray.

So does anyone know if VGChartz will be updated PS3 figures to account for those 28k?

Around the Network

@ Mummelmann

Perhaps they'll offer such deals across Europe and in NA as well in time?

There was such a deal here in the Netherlands, the deal lasted until 31 December 2007:
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1251699

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Kasz216 said:
Reasonable said:
Well, they shouldn't be counted as sales if you want to judge consumer driven choice, but they do mean there are now some 28,000 owners who game buy games, go online, buy BR movies, etc. which was obviously the idea. So they will impact, very likely positively, the local market.

I disagree. I mean it is pretty much just a bundle. Just the PS3 is bundled with the TV instead of a game with the PS3.  Some people might of been pushed to get that TV just because of the PS3.  It's something you can't really measure.

Good point.  If I were to consider forecasting sales I'd include a portion of the units but not all - i.e. I'd assign a (probably guestimate) percentage as pure TV sales that happened to drag the console and some as a PS3 or joint purchase sweetened by the offer.

If I was forecasting game sales I'd include most of them but drop a few and assume they were being used for movie playback only.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Username2324 said:
Imthelegend said:
Its not because of blu ray its because they they arnt selling enough consoles(I know people will think Im trolling but the ps3 is just above 1/2 of the sales of wii and 360 so it makes sense to get more consoles out there).

What might come back to bite them is that some people who got the free ps3 are selling them to make some of the money back. Therefore less people are buying new ps3's because they are buying second hand ones.

I'm pretty sure its part of their blu-ray program, in most other countries they are pairing their Bravia series with a Blu-ray stand alone, but like I said, due to the low installbase of the PS3 in that area they may have chosen to switch it to a PS3, which I think should be done all over the globe, because its a double win, a PS3, and Blu-ray.

So does anyone know if VGChartz will be updated PS3 figures to account for those 28k?

Hard to say. On the one hand, tracking sites won't adjust for this, on the other hand, those systems are out there.

If I were him i'd email and confirm the numbers with Sony, and email and comfirm if the similar deals vs 360 are done the same way and see if they are tracked or not... and if i could get fairly close numbers for all of the promotions like this to add them, and if not keep them aside in another category until i could get them all.

Will these get counted on VGC?

I think they should, as even though they are not sales, the PS3 user base is still higher than what VGC states.

Around the Network

Ok then do the consoles that are given away as a bonus when you buy a mobile phone get counted. You know the ones, pay nothing up front and get a free ps3 or wii or 360.

lol another reason they gave the ps3 away is to sell the bravia tvs.

The samsung lcd M series N series and F series been kicking sonys ass in tv sales here. So what better way to make peope buy your tv. I am sure some of those people wanted a PS3 but found the price to be too much. We all know (well Aussies) that HDTVs are starting to boom here so who wouldn't be tempted by a freebie that they always wanted to buy, but were waiting for a price drop.

However we do have those peopel who purely got the TV because of a freebie and are now sellign them off in local papers as unwanted gifts.

Well me for one. Since I already own a HDTV, however if they included a free PS3 with a samsung LCD i would of baught another samsung LCD haha.

cough*wii*sports*cough why wouldnt they count a ps3 tv bundle?

too bad those people they are selling it to wont be under warrantee.

In the UK they give away all types of consoles and handhelds with mobile phone contracts. It's not limited to gaming either, you can get free TVs and other electronics, even quad bikes! They all count as sales as the company has paid for them. VG Chartz wouldn't track them though.