By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft patents achievements for watching TV

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Is9YJ/www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements

Xbox One maker calls dibs on technique to encourage viewership of shows and ads

Xbox One is intended to combine users' gaming and TV watching in a single device, but Microsoft's plan to merge the two goes beyond sticking them in the same plastic casing. Last November, the company applied for a patent on an Xbox 360-like achievements system for watching TV.

"Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content," the application states. "To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content."

Two examples given include doling out achievements for watching a single event like the Super Bowl, or for watching an entire series of a single show.

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities," according to the application.

Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement.

The patent application details a variety of possible rewards, including points for a GamerScore-like tally that is viewable by other users, new clothes and props for an avatar, virtual money for a game, or even physical rewards

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

Sounds fun.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

LOL, come on MS, this is a bit too much hehe

O_O

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

I wish they would give achievements for getting off the butt and exercising. It is like wow, I used my eye to interpret electromagnetic radiation and my ears to detect vibrations in the air. I am a god damn hero people.

Around the Network

?????????

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Im sure they will utilize Kinect 2.0 to track your actual eyes and if they are watching. If you look away for a second, you lose achievement...

Oh ms, a part of me would be amused if every time I watched a live tv show and bam I hear the achievement sound xD

Didn't Sony do this a few years back with Torne?

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

To be fair I did feel quite the achievement plowing through the first two seasons (at the time) of TWD and of GoT each in the span of a few days.