By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii component cable problem! :(!

Well my luck with cables for my wii is... well none. I bought a RGB cable a while back for my tv. It didn't work. Time went by and the wii is now in the living room (although my parents don't dare to touch it. The only game they play is Freecell) and it's an EDTV.  So I invested in component cables. Hooked it up. All went well and looked good (really great difference!) and then I thought hey it's still on 480i I wonder what 480p would look like!:D In lifted moods I changed it to 480p and that's when I began seeing dubbel. The frame is doubled and so I was left staring at two wii menu's. If that ain't bad enough if you quit the wii settings menu all hell breaks lose and everything is blurred and lines everywhere. Frankly you can't see sh!t.

I remembered hearing about it on forums but can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. Alot of problems on the net revolve around black screens or Zelda that doesn't work decently but as you can tell from above my case is a bit different. Any whizz kids amoung you that can help me out?

Thanks..

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Around the Network

ok this happened to me when playing Rayman Raving Rabbids 1. First, check if the game is 480p compatible, if not it will revert your settings every time you boot it up. It may just be that the game does not support 480p. try to get another game (borrow,buy,steal) and check if it is only that one game that is causing the porblem.

Before you .... post, read the .... thread.
It doesn't happend with games (hell I don't even reach that far).
The moment I which the 'tv type' to 480p the problems begin:(

I read somewhere that the wii sends different kind of progressive scan signals then normal things (dvd recorders and such) maybe my tv doesn't like it..
I have third party cables but that shouldn't make a difference seeing that the first party cables also cause alot of problems (search the net.).

I send a message to nintendo.. time to play the waiting game.
Probably going to tell me that they have 'never heard of suchs problems with Wii component cables before' lol..

It means your tv doesn't do 480p I think.

I have a wide screen tube tv that has component cables in. I bought some cables and connected them, then I tried to switch to 480p. Bam screen goes all f'ed. To get it back I had to turn the Wii off via the Wii itself and restart. Then it switched itself back to 480i and all was well.

I then searched for info on my TV on the web and found out it did not support 480p. Really sucks too. Sounds like you are having the same issue. I would look up the specs on the TV to ensure it actually can do 480p. If not that then ???

Around the Network

If you can't see what's goin' on your TV it's time to connect the old composite cables and set back the options to 480i.

I think this will solve your problem (if I've understanded it well).

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

@ superchunk the tv manual says it can provide progressive scan. I've looked it up before.
@ Daileon everything works great except when I put it on 480p. So I will keep the component cable on 480i. It looks WAY better then composite cables in 480i

Like superchunk said, it sounds like your TV may not support 480p. There are a lot of relatively recent model SD TVs around that support component input but aren't actually 480p/EDTV. If you're certain that your TV supports 480p, there may be a setting on the TV that needs to be changed to enable it. Aside from that, there's also the possibility that there's a 50hz/60hz conflict for some reason, so if your TV has the option, try flipping between modes.

Tell me about this TV do you have a model and make?

The Component cables are they Nintendo or are they 3rd party?

The Wii what region is it from?

If you can answer these three things I can help you further, if not I just hope nintendo will be able to help.

TV: thompson scenium 27LCDB03b (it can do Progressive scan)
Caractéristiques :

Progressive Scanning (Line Doubling), menus à l'écran

but I can't find the 'EDTV' label anywhere

The Component Cable is third part: From Speedlink

Region: Europe