By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

So 4.9 million PS3's shipped this quarter?

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Lafiel said:
if it was loss it would be written (113) Kasz

Yet after the games operation income it has a (Loss) after it. Seems like one of those is a typo.

No, it's proper accounting format, negative amounts are put in brackets.  So when the line item is 'Operating Income (Loss)' it's just saying that a non-bracket number would be income, while a number in brackets is negative aka loss.  Also, it's pretty clear when looking at the table comparing different years, in Q3 2006 they had a loss so that number is in brackets, Q3 2007 was income so no brackets.

Great for Sony, good to see they are seeing success, however small, from the PS3 this early.
Maybe a price-cut sometime this/next quarter isn't too unlikely (In time for GTA4, or MGS4 perhaps?).

Either way, good to see they are making profit.

Color me pleasantly surprised. Awesome.

I'm confused. The way I'm reading it is that they made $113 mil. in profit for all of 2007, and that they only lost 54 mil. yen for 2006. I have to be reading this wrong...

Edit: Or were they comparing Q3 '07 to Q3 '06? 

Around the Network

Sir Howard Stringer must be most grateful to the gamers of the PAL region for their faithful support and strong currency.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

just shows how wrong so many people can be on this site. so many people here think they're analysts.

With more evidence appearing that Sony actually is coming close to breaking even on the PS3, one has to ask:

Exactly how damned much is Nintendo making on every Wii sold? How much is MS making on each 360?

Nintendo must be making a boatload on each Wii and MS also has to be doing pretty well for themselves. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Lafiel said:
@ Kasz216 )

ok here is the long explanation

operating income = numbers without brackets , operating loss = numbers with brackets

Yeah i get that.  But notice how it says after Operating Income (Loss) under games.  That's the part i don't understand.

Look under "Operating Highlights by Buisness Segment". 

From what I can tell, the only reason it isn't reporting a loss is because a lot of it's transactions are within the company.  IE if you counted intercompany transactions it would be at a loss.  So some other division is taking a hit to make the games segmenet more proftiable, or the "unallocated corporate expenses" are taken out. 

Either that or it's a typo.

Kasz216 said:
Lafiel said:
@ Kasz216 )

ok here is the long explanation

operating income = numbers without brackets , operating loss = numbers with brackets

Yeah i get that.  But notice how it says after Operating Income (Loss) under games.  That's the part i don't understand.

Look under "Operating Highlights by Buisness Segment". 

From what I can tell, the only reason it isn't reporting a loss is because a lot of it's transactions are within the company.  IE if you counted intercompany transactions it would be at a loss.  So some other division is taking a hit to make the games segmenet more proftiable, or the "unallocated corporate expenses" are taken out. 

Either that or it's a typo.

They put (loss) at the end of the description to show that anything enclosed by parenthesis is a loss. It's really common in these kinds of reports. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/