By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@stranne,

Million sellers by the end of 2008: Wii 55 X360 50 PS3 17

Are you serious?
http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39467&console=PS3&maker=&boxartz=1
The first 12 games will easy reach 1 mln. by the end of 2008.
Then, GAT4, DMC4, MGS4, Tekken6, GT5P or GT5. That`s already 17 games.
+HS, UT3(maybe), Hot Shots 5 and sales of Lair, Warhwawk/NGS are not known.
+ games like CoD5, WKS, LBP, KZ2, R2.

It will be way more over 17 games. =)
I expect atleast 30 mln. sellers, BUT i think there will be even MORE. =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Wow - lot of 'yapping' going on in this thread.

Just like with films and books I'd hate it if there were only one type of game - for example cheaper Wii game that's fun like RR or big expensive 360/PS3 blockbuster.

I like lots of choice. Lots. So does the market. Those arguing that Wii games are better 'cause they're cheaper and generate more profits and those arguing the massive return of big sellers like Halo is better need to get a grip.

If all that mattered was profit to cost ratio this industry would be terrible creatively - and as fun as Mario is I sure hope that's not the only gaming experience the future holds. It's bad enough how quickly the games industry is becoming like 'US' film industry with an overabundance of sequels, lack of innovation, risk adverse titles carefully aimed at selected demographics... and of course rabid fans.

Both sides are intrinsically wrong as you're trying to shape data and perception to an opinion and if you don't know why that is wrong I ain't sure going to waste time telling you.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

gebx said:
Username2324 said:
So MS took 1 3/4 years to turn a profit, Sony only 1

I think everyones forgetting that this isn't just the PS3 but the PS2 and PSP. Still it doesn't tarnish the fact that Sony did extremely well considering the current state of things.

Same holds for Microsoft.  The xbox 360 didn't post a $357 million profit, it was the Entertainment and Devices Division as a whole.  This division includes the mobile and embedded devices, pc games, and zune among other businesses.  MS reorganized the xBox business into EDD last year.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Entroper said:
kber, GGE, DMeisterJ... can't you just try to have a discussion of sales without trying to "pwn" one another in every post? Every time you make a personal attack, anyone who isn't personally involved in the "fight" loses a bit of respect for you and the point you're trying to make.

Not me.  I mean you can't lose water out of a dry well.  Not even two dry wells. 

DMeisterJ i still have some respect for.

Ok, this thread is going down quickly and getting boring. You all are just arguing circles and being even more hard headed than me.

There's already been at least one complaint about the thread so please just agree to disagree. This can still be a decent thread as it at least has been more or less civil so there's no need to lock it yet.

Around the Network

Third Party developers are in a pinch this generation. Either chance the stigma of poor third party sales which have dogged Nintendo or take a costly risk with little returns on the 360/PS3. Overtime, the console with more people will always win out this battle. Even if you could argue third party sales are dissapointing on the Wii now, as more and more people buy Wiis that ratio will increase, especially as the ratio of serious third party Wii titles start to emerge in 08 and 09.

CrazzyMan said:
@stranne,
Million sellers by the end of 2008: Wii 55 X360 50 PS3 17

Are you serious?
http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39467&console=PS3&maker=&boxartz=1
The first 12 games will easy reach 1 mln. by the end of 2008.
Then, GAT4, DMC4, MGS4, Tekken6, GT5P or GT5. That`s already 17 games.
+HS, UT3(maybe), Hot Shots 5 and sales of Lair, Warhwawk/NGS are not known.
+ games like CoD5, WKS, LBP, KZ2, R2.

It will be way more over 17 games. =)
I expect atleast 30 mln. sellers, BUT i think there will be even MORE. =]

Yes, I'm serious. We'll see how it plays out, but I'm not sure that games like Lair (!), Kane & Lynch, Tekken 6 and Hot Shots 5 will be million sellers. And some of the others might even miss 2008. Anyway, it will be a lot closer to 17 than to 30.

Well, since twesterm took care of the whole argument thing, I'll just comment on the topic.

Congratulations to Sony! That's pretty impressive. I wonder if they are actually posting a profit on the 80GB or if this was spurred by the impressive boost of PSP hardware sales. Either way, I'm sure they are happy to get out of the red, at least for a quarter. There is no reason to attack this people, and the argument that barely even relates to the topic needs to stop.

zackblue said:
rocketpig said:

With more evidence appearing that Sony actually is coming close to breaking even on the PS3, one has to ask:

Exactly how damned much is Nintendo making on every Wii sold? How much is MS making on each 360?

Nintendo must be making a boatload on each Wii and MS also has to be doing pretty well for themselves.

You understand as a moderator you just trolled. You left the topic and bragged on how much the wii is making for nintendo. Please dont do it again your setting a bad example.

Yeah, okay. Don't call me out for trolling when I had about 10 posts in this thread and then asked one perfectly legitimate question about the 360 and Wii in comparison to the PS3.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The numbers are interesting. The software numbers don't look good for Sony though. PS3 lead the pack in terms of increase while PS2 and PSP sales declined. Knowing that the PS3 has had it's own issues selling software in the US could be bad as the PSP and PS2 keep declining.

I think this year will be great for Sony software wise. With games like GT5 and a few other first-party titles I think Sony should be fine. Not to mention Konami's MGS4, and Rockstar's GTA4 getting released this year.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus