By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - User-made offering: 2008 console data compilation (to be updated weekly)

There are a few functions that I know VG Chartz hasn't implemented (yet, anyway), and I figured that I could provide some of those on my own site by compiling the data provided here each week to analyze 2008 as it progresses.  What I have so far can be found here:

http://www.skyrender.net/2008_console_sales.txt

If the higher-ups at VG Chartz would prefer I not do this, then I'll gladly take it down.  I just figured it'd be nice to have another way of looking at VG Chartz data as it comes in.  If they're alright with it, then I'm open to suggestions on other calculations to make.  Though try to keep it to stuff that's not available or easily accessible at VG Chartz.  Enjoy!

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

very nice, I have often wished I did not have to crawl through worldwide weekly charts to go back and view the progression.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

That's a great idea.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

The charts look great skyRender, i like the percentages for each week.

I like that view (in addition to what the site has). Over 2008 that particular view should make for some interesting viewing.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

That was the idea behind it. VG Chartz data right now gets compiled with handheld and console data combined, which is fine for a full-market view, but doesn't really give a clear view on how the three newer consoles specifically are doing compared to one another on a week-by-week basis.

For those interested, I just updated the data to include comparisons of DS and PSP (apart from the consoles, of course; the entire idea here is to provide comparisons of modern systems that segregate handheld and console markets).

sweet action!!!

I was always wonder why VGC did not let you look at past data this easily.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

DS has so far this year dissapointed in difference to the PsP. (Not really, 67 % isn't exactly bad, but bad compared to 74% the year before)

Wii had 50.87 % market share last year, interesting, I thought it was like 46 % or something.

DS phat almost tied with PsP... 2005 = 54 % DS and 46 % Psp...

Are you sure that X360 was that close to Ps3 in 07? I had a feeling the difference was bigger. If you look at it, Ps3 lost 3 months Europe there, so in a way, it actually sold better...

Great job! This is some of the best data I've seen here. Really easy to view and everything. Is it possible to add overall software? Because that would really be comparable to hardware in a great way here, I think.

Anyway! Superb work!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

The numbers are pure raw data, the percentages direct extrapolations from that. Any issues you have with the numbers pretty much should be directed at VG Chartz, as they're the source for them. And the numbers in the first half of the Market Share section tell you the percentage of systems sold that year were that particular system; the second number is the overall market share.