By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The curse of the 3rd console, will it continue with Xbox?

Will the curse be broken?

Of course! The next Xbox ... 25 16.89%

Nope, Microsoft is screwed. 81 54.73%

Only idiots believe in curses. 42 28.38%

Total:148

At this point I'm pretty sure a company's 3rd home console is cursed. Look at Nintendo, with their first two systems they ruled the gaming market and held a steady first place even with competition from sega. But then the N64 arrived and they fell to a distant second, and completly losing 3rd parties in the process. And then there's Sega, they may not have been first with the Genesis and Mastersystem but they stayed alived and had some great support. But the Saturn came and it was a massive disaster for the company causing them to release their 4th console much earlier than planned. Finally there's Sony, they dominated the games industry with the PS1 and 2. No-one even came close to them. And the the PS3 came and though it has been successful in the last few years, it pushed Sony to 3rd place all while losing them billions of dollars. Now it's Microsoft's turn. Will they finally break the curse, or will their 3rd console be a massive failure?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

They will, I have no doubt :)

yes, you put forth a convincing argument.
does anyone know how well sega's 3rd console performed?

nah, they will be fine.

Click HERE and be happy 

Not sure, it kind of reminds me of the madden curse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:

Segas 3rd console was there most successful

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

BloodyRain said:

The Madden curse is because EA is cursed. Microsoft should be fine!

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

I think they'll hit some trouble. Not because of a curse, but because of the decisions of both MS and Sony. Sony is coming out in full force this year. They seem to be making all the right decisions when it comes to the PS4. Easy to develop on HW, launching the same year as the NeXbox (as opposed to a year or more late), and a cheaper to make and sell HW. I think Sony is going to be a force to be reckoned with in EU and Japan.

MS, on the other hand, seems to be taking a few missteps. It's obvious they are focusing more on their device being an all-in-one entertainment device, something I think many core gamers are going to reject. I also believe core gamers are going to be turned off by how much they are continuing to focus on the Kinect. And while I don't 100% believe they will have an online requirement, something tells me they are going to be cracking down on used games. If these play out to be true, and since the PS4 will be available for around the same price, I can see Sony winning back quite a few of the core gamers it lost to the 360.

So, I don't see the NeXbox being a complete flop or anything. But, I don't see it being a close race between it and the PS4.

echoesfromthepast said:
BloodyRain said:

The Madden curse is because EA is cursed. Microsoft should be fine!

But EA and Respawn are supposedly making an exclusive game for Microsoft. Don't you get it? It's all connected!

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

zorg1000 said:
mii-gamer said:

Segas 3rd console was there most successful

Nope, Sega's Saturn was the thrid Sega home console and it was quite bad outside of Japan. The most succesful Sega console was the Sega Genesis (2nd console).

On topic: I don't believe in curses. The PS3 is doing too well to be considered 'cursed'.