By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: DmC "posted solid sales", Capcom still using outsourcing

ethomaz said:

hikaruchan said:

@eathomaz DmC 2013 and all GOW games are rrediculas easy xD. MGR and NG3RE are only ones to offer any real challenge this year.

The problem is MGR and NG3 are bad games IMO...

Ey! You agreed with me that a seven was a good score for Rising! ¬¬

Not a bad game, but I supposed you and me expected something different. I haven't tried NG3, though. But I do think that GOW and DmC are rather easy. That's not a horrible thing or anything like that, but hack n' slash should be challenging. I got interested in Ascencion though, because a lot of critics got stuck in one part of the game and they couldn't beat it!

Around the Network
A203D said:

I'm also a bit confused. In the case of Vgchartz it seems that games released in the PS2 era, before PS3 have not been tracked as effectively.

This is what Capcom said in 2009:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/devil-may-cry-series-hits-10-million-sales/

In total, at the time of 2009 the series had shipped (not sold) 10 mil units.

Now we know DMC4 did ship 2.7 mil copies. Thats in line with Vgcahrtz, so I think that one is correct, I'm not sure about the PS2 games however which Capcom reported at:

DMC1: 2.5 mil

DMC2: 1.6 mil

in 2009 Capcom didn't present a specific number for DMC3. But based on that article where they report 10 mil copies shipped, it infers that DMC3 and DMC3:SE shipped 3.2 mil copies combined. Even then Vgchartz has overtracked that by a good 1 mil units.

However I'm recultant to beleive DMC3 did indeed sell 3.2 mil copies because I've never seen Capcom present that number. Its also confusing because I recall at one point Capcom saying that DMC4 was the best selling entry to the series. (Although I can't find a link for that). So I think fault lies with Capcom for not being 100% clear on that matter rather than Vgchartz.

In the case of DmC, I know it seems Vgchartz hasn't got it right. But I think Capcom is also accounting for sales over PC, Steam, Xbox Live and PSN. Those are numbers that Vgchartz dosen't provide tracking for. Capcom have also admitted that the game did not sell as well as DMC4 in Japan for obvious reasons. Which is werid because I always see Japanese players at the top of the leaderboards, lol. Capcom have also not given us any numbers for the DMC HD rerelease.

By the way I've seen Dragon's Dogma is in the bargain bin at Amazon. Worth picking up in your opinion? I'm looking for a decent RPG.

Capcom clearly state that it's only PS3 and X360 sales so the PC sales shouldn't be included. I think Capcom keeps PC sales seperately as they are usually outsourced and usually have delayed releases. On this page http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html they list DMC franchise as having 12m units across "19 titles" (not quite sure how they got to that number) as of March 31 2013, if DMC has sold 1.1m acording to them and the franchise had sold 10m units back in 2009 when DMC4 had sold 2.2m DMC4 has since managed to sell ~500k more (2.7m total) that leaves ~400k for the HD pack which seems a tad low... Or they were rounding up a lot when they claimed the franchise hit 10m or rounding down now. I would imagine that Capcom's own shipment numbers must be more reliable than any 3rd party tracker but they could have made a mistake somewhere I guess.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Wright said:

Ey! You agreed with me that a seven was a good score for Rising! ¬¬

Not a bad game, but I supposed you and me expected something different. I haven't tried NG3, though. But I do think that GOW and DmC are rather easy. That's not a horrible thing or anything like that, but hack n' slash should be challenging. I got interested in Ascencion though, because a lot of critics got stuck in one part of the game and they couldn't beat it!

Yeah... I think bad is not the word... maybe MEH... not exception but that coming from a guy that played Bayonetta and at the end give it a 7 too because it was so boring gameplay... maybe it is my taste.

I'm not reach that part in Ascension too but what I read it was a puzzle part not battle challenging.

zarx said:

Capcom clearly state that it's only PS3 and X360 sales so the PC sales shouldn't be included. I think Capcom keeps PC sales seperately as they are usually outsourced and usually have delayed releases. On this page http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html they list DMC franchise as having 12m units across "19 titles" (not quite sure how they got to that number) as of March 31 2013, if DMC has sold 1.1m acording to them and the franchise had sold 10m units back in 2009 when DMC4 had sold 2.2m DMC4 has since managed to sell ~500k more (2.7m total) that leaves ~400k for the HD pack which seems a tad low... Or they were rounding up a lot when they claimed the franchise hit 10m or rounding down now. I would imagine that Capcom's own shipment numbers must be more reliable than any 3rd party tracker but they could have made a mistake somewhere I guess.

I didn't see the part where Capcom mention PC sales were excempt. That fair enough if they've said that. Since Capcom are talking about shipped units, it raises the question of digital sales. Since I don't know if digital sales are recorded as 'shipped'. So I assumed they were also talking about Steam, Xbox Live and PSN sales, that might not be the case. I'm not sure about that.

That link is a little confusing. Theres only 5 DMC titles. Unless their reffering to DMC4 as 3 seperate releases. So PS3, Xbox and PC. Or maybe they mean, DMC1, DMC1: Greatest Hits, DMC1 Platinum Edition (Europe). Same sort of thing for later editions. Not sure how else Capcom would report 19 titles.

Well Capcom haven't given us a specific number for the HD collection, and it is also available digitally. I'm really not sure what else to say man. Its a little too confusing without Vgchartz to clear up the situation.

hikaruchan said:
Wright said:
ethomaz said:
Good because the DmC is one of the best hack n slash games released this year... way better than Rising and others... just not too good like GoW: A.

It's way too easy. Almost every hack n' slash game this generation has been insultingly easy.

@eathomaz DmC 2013 and all GOW games are rrediculas easy xD. MGR and NG3RE are only ones to offer any real challenge this year. 

@Wright play NG3RE on Master Ninja or Ultimate Ninja!

What you type of people don't undertand is that not everybody want their videogame purchases to frustrate them or require a lot of time to master their combat systems. God of War was never about having an overly complex combat system with ridiculous difficulty, it's meant to be accessible so as many people as possible can enjoy it (a.k.a. why the series is more than double as big as the next biggest series in the genre) and it's deep enough for people to master and pull of spectacular combos. And there's a reason why the games have 4 difficulty settings, on the hardest difficulty all the GoW's are challenging for 99% of people, the 1% who want it to be frustraingly difficult should be ignored in favour of the majority. It's obvious why Ninja Theory tried to make DmC more like GoW but it didn't work out for them.

Regarding DmC, it seems it's not done that badly after all. I say this because the series is actually much smaller than Vgchartz's estimates according to Capcoms own shipment data. Not a single DMC has ever sold above 3 million. Only DMC4 & DMC sold over 2 million. DmC should ship 1.5-1.7m lifetime which will be inline with DMC 2 & 3.

Around the Network
A203D said:
-

But the problem with DmC is they've released it too late in the console cycle. Year on year softwar sales are down from when DMC4 came out; this is also evident in the decline of sales from God of War Ascension since God of War 3.

That's not it at all, I don't think releasing late in the cycle has a significant effect on game sales, look at GoW 1 & 2 which sold 4.75/4.25m. The problem with DmC is that it doesn't appeal to most of the old fans, it was an unnecessary reboot, it's not good enough for word of mouth to be great and there's alternatives that people chose instead (MGR:R & GoW:A).

And don't try to compare it to the God of War: Ascension decline from God of War III, it's not the same situation at all. That happened because Sony marketed the game so poorly that a lot of people thought it was just a multiplayer game, it released a few weeks after the PS4 was announced, it's a prequel nobody asked for, it was only very good and not a masterpiece like all the games in the trilogy and to be honest I doubt any hack 'n slash game will ever come close to GoW III again (5.2m sold in a little over 2 years, over 6m now) only GoW IV can so the decline for GoW:A was expected by everyone.

So God of War: Ascension still did amazingly for an exclusive h&s game, it's still on-track to outsell the bestselling DMC (DMC4 at 2.7m) which already makes the 'decline' comparison to DmC just a bit silly as one is a relative failure and the other still a huge success compared to everything in the genre outside the GoW series. You should have compared the decline from NG2 to 3 with DMC4 to DmC, that make MUCH more sense.

You have an excuse for everything ^^

tontus said:

That's not it at all, I don't think releasing late in the cycle has a significant effect on game sales, look at GoW 1 & 2 which sold 4.75/4.25m. The problem with DmC is that it doesn't appeal to most of the old fans, it was an unnecessary reboot, it's not good enough for word of mouth to be great and there's alternatives that people chose instead (MGR:R & GoW:A).

And don't try to compare it to the God of War: Ascension decline from God of War III, it's not the same situation at all. That happened because Sony marketed the game so poorly that a lot of people thought it was just a multiplayer game, it released a few weeks after the PS4 was announced, it's a prequel nobody asked for, it was only very good and not a masterpiece like all the games in the trilogy and to be honest I doubt any hack 'n slash game will ever come close to GoW III again (5.2m sold in a little over 2 years, over 6m now) only GoW IV can so the decline for GoW:A was expected by everyone.

So God of War: Ascension still did amazingly for an exclusive h&s game, it's still on-track to outsell the bestselling DMC (DMC4 at 2.7m) which already makes the 'decline' comparison to DmC just a bit silly as one is a relative failure and the other still a huge success compared to everything in the genre outside the GoW series. You should have compared the decline from NG2 to 3 with DMC4 to DmC, that make MUCH more sense.

Sony marketed the game poorly? Have you got links to Sony's marketing budgets now? Can you tell us how much it cost to market God of War Ascension. I don't think Superbowl adverts are cheap. But you seem to think that Superbowl adverts 'are poor marketing'.

God of War Ascension is the worst reviewed game in the series. There is not covering that up. A lot of fans who bought the previous games didn't buy this installment including myself. We can gauge that among those fans some of them didn't buy it because they didn't like it in comparasion to the other God of War games.

"It's obvious why Ninja Theory tried to make DmC more like GoW but it didn't work out for them."

I'm not sure where this idea has come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyB_QsJthA

Ninja Theory made DmC the way Capcom asked them to make DmC. Even though you can't do things like that in God of War, that dosen't make it a worst game, its just a different style of action game, its not better or even worst. Besides DmC has recieved higher critical reviews than God of War Ascension. And the creator of the God of War series (David Jaffe) admited at the time of God of War 2's release that he felt God of War didn't meet Devil May Cry in terms of combat level.

Now I'm saying one is better or worst; their two games that play very differently. There are fans who enjoy both, including myself.

Regardless, this is a sales site, and sales data is available for the week of DMC4's release. I don't have time digging up that information now, but what you will find is year on year declines in all software numbers sold in the charts since then. If you have access to Sony's shippments for God of War 1 and 2 that might be useful.

Interstingly you should have a look at Amazon UK. God of War Ascension is at £20 and DmC is at £27 having come out 2-3 months prior. In the case of God of War I have a feeling that title is fast approaching the bargain bin. I'm not saying that means anything, but maybe it does tell us something...

I'm finding it hard to follow Capcom's line of thought on this one.

-They rebooted after Devil May Cry 4 because "we saw other action games getting 4 to 5 million sales". Nevermind the idiocy of this statement as a Third Person Shooter Action title, or action games of the like, are mainstream while Hack n' Slash action titles are niche besides God of War. This is what they stated and why they wanted to go "Western".

-They then set their goal for 2 shipped within 2 1/2 months.

-They lower their goal to 1.2 million shipped within 2 1/2 months.

-They lower their goal yet again to 1.15 million shipped within 2 1/2 months (shipped = sold to the developer).

-Despite having to lower their shipment expectations twice, they claim "solid sales" when they shipped 850,000 less than they originally planned for and sold less than a million retail.

-This is also despite the fact that it is currently the lowest selling Devil May Cry title, despite having the largest marketing push and the most publicity. Even if it has the best legs in the world, it won't come close to matching Devil May Cry or Devil May Cry 4 and will have difficulty passing Devil May Cry 2.

Was it really THAT cheap to make with Ninja Theory and THAT expensive to make internally? Damn, seems like Ninja Theory got boned if they made the game for THAT cheap, so cheap that it's to the point it can under ship by 850,000 and under sell by over 900,000 and still make a good profit.

They can't be stopped...

ShroudedDarkness said:
I'm finding it hard to follow Capcom's line of thought on this one.

-They rebooted after Devil May Cry 4 because "we saw other action games getting 4 to 5 million sales". Nevermind the idiocy of this statement as a Third Person Shooter Action title, or action games of the like, are mainstream while Hack n' Slash action titles are niche besides God of War. This is what they stated and why they wanted to go "Western".

-They then set their goal for 2 shipped within 2 1/2 months.

-They lower their goal to 1.2 million shipped within 2 1/2 months.

-They lower their goal yet again to 1.15 million shipped within 2 1/2 months (shipped = sold to the developer).

-Despite having to lower their shipment expectations twice, they claim "solid sales" when they shipped 850,000 less than they originally planned for and sold less than a million retail.

-This is also despite the fact that it is currently the lowest selling Devil May Cry title, despite having the largest marketing push and the most publicity. Even if it has the best legs in the world, it won't come close to matching Devil May Cry or Devil May Cry 4 and will have difficulty passing Devil May Cry 2.

Was it really THAT cheap to make with Ninja Theory and THAT expensive to make internally? Damn, seems like Ninja Theory got boned if they made the game for THAT cheap, so cheap that it's to the point it can under ship by 850,000 and under sell by over 900,000 and still make a good profit.

We are talking about the company that is making sequels to Dragons Dogma which sold just as bad (1.3m) and was the seccond largest dev team (but the largest internal dev team) for any Capcom game (RE6 was much bigger but mostly outsourced) which was in development for 4 years and also claim that had solid sales and was a surprise hit after one of the producers claiming that they could see the game selling 10m copies.

Then they have RE6 the most expensive game they have ever made and the latest installment in their largest franchise selling less than the last installment by a significant margin.

DmC is the least of their worries right now.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!