By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Another source is claiming Xbox Infinity is the name of the next Xbox

Neowin

We have heard the Xbox Infinity name a few times in the past but now a new source is claiming that their insiders are saying that Xbox Infinity is the name of the next Xbox console. While we are not able to confirm the naming scheme, we will not have to wait much longer to find out if this is true as the device will be reveled on May 21st.

Previous rumors had stated that Microsoft may simply go with Xbox as the name for the upcoming console but this new source seems strangely confident that Infinity is the name of choice for the platform. The Infinity name could be tied to Windows 8 branding because if you turn an 8 sideways, it becomes the infinity symbol. The reasonMicrosoft would likely not want to brand the console with an 8 as Windows 9 and possibly Windows 10 (if the rapid release cycle holds true) could debut during the lifecycle of this Xbox, thus making Xbox 8 an out of date product.

Microsoft's next generation console has had a plethora of leaks including that it will have an HDMI-In capability for pairing with your cable box and to reiterate, it will not require an always-on connection to play your games, according to the latest leaked information.

With May 21st just a few weeks away, we will finally be able to put all of this rumored information behind us and move forward with hard facts from Microsoft.

Source: IBtimes (warning, source link has a few auto-playing videos that may drive you nuts)

Around the Network

Yeah! I actually really like the name Xbox infinity. It reminds me of bioshock lol.

Just using "Xbox" does run the risk of confusing consumers (much like what happened with the Wii U).

hadlee73 said:
Just using "Xbox" does run the risk of confusing consumers (much like what happened with the Wii U).

Uhhhhhhh that didn't happen with the Xbox and Xbox 360, though, so why with this?

I just hope they call the PS4 beyond because then i could buy 2 Infinities and Beyond...

Around the Network

That's such a poor name it hurts.
Do they have to call it infinity? The logo is great, and the concept of the 8 sideways is great. But infinity? Even infinite is bad.
Aren't there other words for infinite they could use?
Like...xbox unlimited or something?

Me said:
I just hope they call the PS4 beyond because then i could buy 2 Infinities and Beyond...

Omfg.... I was eating when I read this and you nearly killed me.

Excellent work sir.

theprof00 said:
That's such a poor name it hurts.
Do they have to call it infinity? The logo is great, and the concept of the 8 sideways is great. But infinity? Even infinite is bad.
Aren't there other words for infinite they could use?
Like...xbox unlimited or something?

I thought Vita, Wii, and DS were dumb names too, but after a while you just stop caring. Hell, is there a worse name than Ouya? But I even got used to saying that.

Halo 4 fans are used to hearing the word infinity. You hear it every time you start a deathmatch. "INFINITY SLAYER!"

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

This "other source" is the same source from yesterday. IBTimes.

I wonder how infinity sounds when translated in world languages, because that is surely something MS would want to improve upon. "360" had different translations in different markets.

As for Xbox fans, Infinity should please them since Halo 4 MP and the campaign flagship of the humans is named Infinity.