By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Quick question: Has the Wii U already lasted longer than the 3DS without a price cut?

Nintendo will be stubborn this time around. They won't cut the price.

Around the Network
snyps said:

3DS was given a price cut because the psvita had the same price point. $249.99. Iff PS4 is $299.99 WiiU will receive a price cut.

It didn't have anything to do with PS Vita.  3DS released a year prior to Vita in Japan and North America.  It was all about the sales trend being below what game publishers including Nintendo found to be at a tolerable level.  They needed to increase the sales trend or they risked having games being cancelled for it and causing even more damage.  It was sort of an act of emergency to get the system moving again. 

PS4 will definitely not be $299.  It'll be at least $399.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

I call september for price cut and it will be 50 on the premium and they'll do away with the lesser model.

Whenever they do the price cut(assuming its some time this year) it would end up giving Nintendo losses. If the result is increased 1st party software sales then I think its worth it. The price cut worked wonders for the 3DS and it is even more necessary on the Wii U considering its about to get 2 new competitors this holiday. Nintendo needs to come up with a plan and stick to it. This waiting around isn't going to do anything. Sales aren't going to increase on their own....

How much are they losing per unit sold? Around launch I heard it was around $20 put im not sure how accurate that was or how much its gone down since then.

I see them either doin a $50 cut around Aug/Sept when Pikmin, Wind Waker, Wii Fit come out or hoping those games help sales enough and rely on holiday bundles/deals. If they dont do a price drop then, I assume I they will wait til the fiscal year ends so around April/May and depending on how much profit its making at that time doing a $50-100 cut.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Nintendo lowering the price of the Wii U soon would basically be a death note, and not to mention not needed. The Wii U, although floundering at the moment, just needs some first party evergreen titles like the 3DS got during it's first Holiday season. Once these evergreen titles come out, then they can drop the price around the time when Holiday Season rolls around/PS4 or NextBox come out. Whichever comes first.

They just can't make a price cut happen right now. No sir-y!

The WiiU will look much more cheaper when the nexbox and ps4 come out. It doesn't need one until at least then. Games at e3 will carry it to it's first price cut.

Screamapillar said:
snyps said:

3DS was given a price cut because the psvita had the same price point. $249.99. Iff PS4 is $299.99 WiiU will receive a price cut.

It didn't have anything to do with PS Vita.  3DS released a year prior to Vita in Japan and North America.  It was all about the sales trend being below what game publishers including Nintendo found to be at a tolerable level.  They needed to increase the sales trend or they risked having games being cancelled for it and causing even more damage.  It was sort of an act of emergency to get the system moving again. 

and sales trend was low because of the hype and expectation of a portable ps3. if 3ds had a total monopoly in the dedicated space, you think sales would still be poor envoking a price cut... i disagree with you. i also believe sales of wiiu are low because of hype and expectation of the 8th gen competition that is coming. If not for the coming ps4 and xbox3 wii u would have higher sales ....no? ps. i know ps4 wont be $299..

snyps said:
Screamapillar said:
snyps said:

and sales trend was low because of the hype and expectation of a portable ps3. if 3ds had a total monopoly in the dedicated space, you think sales would still be poor envoking a price cut... i disagree with you. i also believe sales of wiiu are low because of hype and expectation of the 8th gen competition that is coming. If not for the coming ps4 and xbox3 wii u would have higher sales ....no?

No, I don't think so.  I don't think it's the same audience.  I think people interested in and considering Wii U based on when 3D Mario or Zelda are coming is an entirely different market than people who are considering splurging on the next-gen PS or Xbox.  Apples and oranges.  I think even if Wii U were selling triple what it's selling now, it wouldn't have any material impact on the Sony's or Microsoft's next-gen sales.  Nintendo consoles haven't competed for the "hardcore" gamer since the early days of the GameCube.   They appeal to people who continually buy Nintendo consoles in order to play franchise sequels. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
snyps said:
Screamapillar said:
snyps said:

and sales trend was low because of the hype and expectation of a portable ps3. if 3ds had a total monopoly in the dedicated space, you think sales would still be poor envoking a price cut... i disagree with you. i also believe sales of wiiu are low because of hype and expectation of the 8th gen competition that is coming. If not for the coming ps4 and xbox3 wii u would have higher sales ....no?

No, I don't think so.  I don't think it's the same audience.  I think people interested in and considering Wii U based on when 3D Mario or Zelda are coming is an entirely different market than people who are considering splurging on the next-gen PS or Xbox.  Apples and oranges.  I think even if Wii U were selling triple what it's selling now, it wouldn't have any material impact on the Sony's or Microsoft's next-gen sales.  Nintendo consoles haven't competed for the "hardcore" gamer since the early days of the GameCube.   They appeal to people who continually buy Nintendo consoles in order to play franchise sequels. 

youre saying if there was no ps4 or xbox3 that audience would never buy a wii u.. i dont agree.