By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The next Xbox rethinks DRM, Achievements and Xbox Live friends, our sources say

I'm going to assume that 3rd parties are going to have identical achievements and trophies, which means this updated achievements crap will be mirrored in trophies. I don't want to be forced to buy another game I probably don't want to get a Platinum trophy. I don't want to be forced to buy and use an app for a phone or tablet to get a Platinum trophy. Given the age of my phone and the fact I don't have or want a tablet I don't want to be forced to buy a new phone or a tablet (or a PSVita in terms of Sony) to be able to get a platinum trophy.

Cross title and cross platform achievements / trophies are a dick move which have nothing to do with improving gamer experience and everything to do with parting gamers from their money.

Just as well I'm not a completionist, I only go for platinums that are easy to get and in games I really like.

I quite like the idea of achievements / trophies for events. Like in Demon's Souls if they had a trophy for playing when they locked WT to black or white, and you achieved something that requires Pure White or Pure Black world tendancy. That sort of thing encourages people to buy games early, rather than wait for them to hit the bargain bin. No problem with that. But it's unlikely I'll get many platinum trophies for games requiring that sort of targetted gameplay schedule.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Hopefully you're allowed to carry your Xbox account to the next console with all your achievements and stuff.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Slimebeast said:

I hope both the PS4 and X720 have online verification for games to work.

I do not like this focus on social aspects and that they, just like Sony, are making a big deal out of a share function. That detracts from the core gaming experience.

I also don't like the updated achievements system. A Platinum should be a Platinum and 1000 GS should be 1000 GS. Nothing should be changed after a game is released.

I think a change in achievements is fine so long as they make it so that it isn't displayed as "0/1650 GS" for a game that has had DLC releases and you have barely touched.

It should just say "0 GS" for those games and just show the total score with a list of your achievements you have and a list of ones you could still get. I hate it when I have games that I play mostly multiplayer, but don't have multiplayer achievements, and so it looks like I have a low gamerscore for those games.

VGKing said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
BenVTrigger said:
Not the first time Ive heard the "up to developers" rumor.

If true it makes things very interesting. Which publishers will have the stones to try and go always online drm first. My money is on EA and if they do I fully expect a complete crash in their sales

The console community wants the option of pre owned games this is clear

100% Agree!!!

But remember Sony said the same thing for the Ps4.

Quote:
Pre-owned games block on PS4 is "a publisher decision"

GameSpot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.

His answer: “It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

Quote:
Update: Speaking at a roundtable session with the press attended by Ars Technica, Shuhei Yoshida stated that "when you purchase the disc-based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware." When asked whether games would require online registration, Yoshida noted that that decision was up to the publisher. When asked if Sony, as a publisher, would require games to be registered online, Yoshida said, "we are not talking about that plan."

They answered the question about no used games by saying "when you purchase the disc=based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware". There's your answer.

As for games being required to be registered online, its a ridiculous question. Obviously publishers already have the option on PS3/360 games but don't do it for obvious reasons. They won't do it next-gen either. 

That isn't an answer at all. It's a basic statement that answers nothing. Of course a disc purchased from the store should work on any hardware. All of their hardware is designed the same. They mention absolutely nothing about it being able to work on "all" hardware or being playable from multiple systems.

There is a big different between "any" and "all" to begin with. But even when not nitpicking that detail, his statement does nothing to say used games will work on any system. His next statement supports what a lot of publishers are currently moving towards with the 360/PS3 and activation codes to play online parts of their games. Sony and MS will have the tech to block used games or to handle DRM, and let publishers decide how to use it.

nightsurge said:
VGKing said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
BenVTrigger said:

If true it makes things very interesting. Which publishers will have the stones to try and go always online drm first. My money is on EA and if they do I fully expect a complete crash in their sales

100% Agree!!!

Quote:

GameSpot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.

Quote:
Update: Speaking at a roundtable session with the press attended by Ars Technica, Shuhei Yoshida stated that "when you purchase the disc-based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware." When asked whether games would require online registration, Yoshida noted that that decision was up to the publisher. When asked if Sony, as a publisher, would require games to be registered online, Yoshida said, "we are not talking about that plan."

They answered the question about no used games by saying "when you purchase the disc=based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware". There's your answer.

As for games being required to be registered online, its a ridiculous question. Obviously publishers already have the option on PS3/360 games but don't do it for obvious reasons. They won't do it next-gen either. 

That isn't an answer at all. It's a basic statement that answers nothing. Of course a disc purchased from the store should work on any hardware. All of their hardware is designed the same. They mention absolutely nothing about it being able to work on "all" hardware or being playable from multiple systems.

There is a big different between "any" and "all" to begin with. But even when not nitpicking that detail, his statement does nothing to say used games will work on any system. His next statement supports what a lot of publishers are currently moving towards with the 360/PS3 and activation codes to play online parts of their games. Sony and MS will have the tech to block used games or to handle DRM, and let publishers decide how to use it.

They already confirmed the PS4 can play used games http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/sony-ps4-can-play-used-games/

Around the Network
VGKing said:

They already confirmed the PS4 can play used games http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/sony-ps4-can-play-used-games/

From what has been understood developers/publishers have the choice whether to block them or not.  However Sony has not talked much about it yet.  

VGKing said:
nightsurge said:
VGKing said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
BenVTrigger said:

100% Agree!!!

Quote:

Quote:

That is an old source.  This one is more recent:  http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/sony-uk-exec-ps4-used-game-question-isnt-clarified-just-yet/

Cyrus_ATX said:
BenVTrigger said:

Quote:

Oh,according to user "RicardJulianti",up to publisher=the console itself will require online lol

I didn't read the whole thread so this is probably going to be exactly what everyone else said....sorry about that

The rumors about Sony blocking used games had everyone up in arms at first, but it turned out that they are (probably) leaving it up to publishers if they want to do it or not. Same goes for this always online stuff. In the article they say that it will have some sort of always online requirement, but that publishers will likely be the ones controlling if the game boots you without an internet connection. This could be what Thurrott meant when he said that it wouldn't "be as draconian as many seem to believe." It could mean that you need to be online to access the media stuff, or XBLA, or just the downloaded games, or it'll be like Steam where you connect to the internet to register the game, but then can play it offline. (if that's how Steam works......I don't use it because my PC is garbage)

This sounds a lot better than a Sim City like DRM function, if it turns out to be true. Microsoft was pretty bold when it came to requiring a broadband connection for XBL, so it's not like they haven't done crazy things in the past.

It's a bit confusing though when you get into it....always online required, but you can (probably) still play offline......so what happens to the 42% of the userbase that doesn't have XBL at all? (~75m-76m 360's sold, 44m Gold & Silver XBL accounts)...do they just have to find another alternative? I get the whole....anti-piracy thing, but it still seems a bit weird to me....people still hacked Sim City to play it without the DRM so what's to stop them here? People have hacked Halo 4 to play online with mods....the DRM would just seem like a challenge to hackers.

When someone's favorite franchise turns out to require an online connection in order to play and they don't have the internet, or one that is stable enough....they won't be able to get it unless they drag their Xbox to a friend's house, register the game, and then drag it back. If it requires a constant connection, that's the end of that.

It's unfortunate that this is really seeming to be true in one form or another....I have enjoyed my 360 quite a bit over the years. But paying for XBL and then needing that connection to at least register games in order to play them offline is very unappealing....and I have an internet connection that would work just fine. If it's all one big misunderstanding, awesome. Really the bigger issue for me is Kinect...I would rather not absolutely NEED it for the console to function. Also, not a fan of Windows 8 or even the current 360 layout...even after you take away the ads.

Hopefully they don't brush it under the rug on the 21st. This is all getting a bit to crazy to ignore.

D-Joe said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
BenVTrigger said:

Quote:

Oh,according to user "RicardJulianti",up to publisher=the console itself will require online lol

Dude, seriously? Lay off. I was talking about a different source entirely and even the Polygon article says "Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement."