By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "An Unbiased Review" Tomb Raider (2013) - A JayWood2010 Review

good article
though i feel you didnt get into details when it comes about gameplay, for one you completely missed out on hand to hand combat, which i felt was very week in the game. the shooting mechanices were great and you mentioned that but you didnt say that the game isnt designed to be a third person shooter, since you always feel you have limited Ammo and the guns have very strong recoil which makes it harder to kill more people and to aim better.
also you forgot to mention audio in the article, the sounds in the game are fantastic with the only low point being the voice actors for the supporting characters (the black chick and her friends) which at some point was plain horrible.
for me it was the best looking game i ever played, but its mostly due to me playing it on my new PC and me pretty much maxing almost everything when it came to graphics

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
good article
though i feel you didnt get into details when it comes about gameplay, for one you completely missed out on hand to hand combat, which i felt was very week in the game. the shooting mechanices were great and you mentioned that but you didnt say that the game isnt designed to be a third person shooter, since you always feel you have limited Ammo and the guns have very strong recoil which makes it harder to kill more people and to aim better.
also you forgot to mention audio in the article, the sounds in the game are fantastic with the only low point being the voice actors for the supporting characters (the black chick and her friends) which at some point was plain horrible.
for me it was the best looking game i ever played, but its mostly due to me playing it on my new PC and me pretty much maxing almost everything when it came to graphics

Thanks for the feedback although I strongly disagree with you saying the voice acting is bad and the hand to hand is bad.  The hand to hand was the first time I have seen the scramble feature work so eefctively and you can upgrade it through out the game to where eventually she can stab people with arrows.  The voice acting is also a big draw to the game in my opinion.  

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
good article

Thanks for the feedback although I strongly disagree with you saying the voice acting is bad and the hand to hand is bad.  The hand to hand was the first time I have seen the scramble feature work so eefctively and you can upgrade it through out the game to where eventually she can stab people with arrows.  The voice acting is also a big draw to the game in my opinion.  

to me the hand to hand combat just felt so bland, it just didnt feel so dynamic like the rest of the gameplay.

also i didnt say all the voice acting was bad. lara's voice acting was nothing short of amazing. all the bad guys voice acting was superb as well. my problem was with jonah, alex, and reyes (specially reyes) and sam to a small extent. these characters just felt lame. honestly reyes was nothing but a pain in the ass. i fucking wish she died

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
good article

to me the hand to hand combat just felt so bland, it just didnt feel so dynamic like the rest of the gameplay.

also i didnt say all the voice acting was bad. lara's voice acting was nothing short of amazing. all the bad guys voice acting was superb as well. my problem was with jonah, alex, and reyes (specially reyes) and sam to a small extent. these characters just felt lame. honestly reyes was nothing but a pain in the ass. i fucking wish she died

I personally thought they all did a good job as well.  And Reyes was suppose to be an unliked character trhough some parts of the game so I think that has more to do with the writing than the voice acting.  Or for me personally.

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
good article

I personally thought they all did a good job as well.  And Reyes was suppose to be an unliked character trhough some parts of the game so I think that has more to do with the writing than the voice acting.  Or for me personally.

both writing and voice acting were bad. i wasnt supposed to like whitman and i didnt. but he played his part really well so he didnt annoy the hell out of me

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
good article

both writing and voice acting were bad. i wasnt supposed to like whitman and i didnt. but he played his part really well so he didnt annoy the hell out of me

We are just going to have to disagree on this one.  I find the story telling was great as well as the voice acting.

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
good article

We are just going to have to disagree on this one.  I find the story telling was great as well as the voice acting.

you never agree with me on anything. how can we be a real couple if we are not a united front? ohh story telling was great. voice acting as well, my main grip is with some of the characters that is all. personally i would rate the game between 9 and 9.2

overall a great game, cant wait for the sequel! btw you should have played it PC. the lighting, particle effects and graphics overall were just out of this world on PC

Great review you put a lot of time into it but I'm just getting it on the PC because the console versions felt like an Uncharted rip off but not as good. I've only played the first two chapters anyway and I was disappointed. But I have a strong feeling I was wrong. Although in gameplay, set pieces, cinematic sequences I feel it is much inferior to Uncharted 2 and 3.

bananaking21 said:

you never agree with me on anything. how can we be a real couple if we are not a united front? ohh story telling was great. voice acting as well, my main grip is with some of the characters that is all. personally i would rate the game between 9 and 9.2

overall a great game, cant wait for the sequel! btw you should have played it PC. the lighting, particle effects and graphics overall were just out of this world on PC

I will be :)  

I was discussing this game with a friend and then thought.. Hey I wonder what the "unbiased review" on VGC is for some reason :P. And behold!

Why was the Multiplayer left outside when it pulled down the overall review score of The Last of Us? Its especially interesting because TRs MP is friggin' broke. You yourself said you score the game based on the -overall- product on the TLOU thread.

And do you sincerely feel that Tomb Raider is the better game when compared to The Last of Us considering TR got 9.4 from you and TLOU got 9.2 from you?

What a joke :>