By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Inside the PlayStation 4 With Mark Cerny

I don't want to over hype the specialized APU for the PS4 & possibly for the Nextbox because I've seen AMD mess up before in a CPU release. They over promised and didn't deliver. Right now, I'm crossing my fingers that AMD doesn't mess up and the APU architecture does everything that was promised to the developers.

Around the Network

WOW the article talks about everything... almost all tech questions are answered...

The compute rings being custom, simultaneous compute and graphics, RAM not in the chip, etc.

DraconianAC said:

I don't want to over hype the specialized APU for the PS4 & possibly for the Nextbox because I've seen AMD mess up before in a CPU release. They over promised and didn't deliver. Right now, I'm crossing my fingers that AMD doesn't mess up and the APU architecture does everything that was promised to the developers.

In this case it is not only AMD... Sony did a lot of the job to customize together AMD the PS3 APU.

lol I have no clue what most of that article even says. So what does all that mean in layman terms?The only thing I got from that was that the ps4 is going to be awesome xD

BloodyRain said:
lol I have no clue what most of that article even says. So what does all that mean in layman terms?The only thing I got from that was that the ps4 is going to be awesome xD

Well in technical terms it is the best and more accurate article about the PS4... Cerny (PS4's daddy) explain everything added to make the machine better and avoid typical bottlenecks found in PC off the self parts... it is a really good piece of tech.

The Gamasutra is a developer site so this article can't be online in better hands.

Around the Network
BloodyRain said:

That is all you need to know.

Abou the multiplataform developers...

"when I say that our goal is not to create puzzles that the developers have to solve, that is how we do well in a multi-platform world."

PC comparison...

"Ultimately, we are trying to strike a balance between features which you can use day one, and features which will allow the system to evolve over the years, as gaming itself evolves," said Cerny. The "supercharged PC architecture," that the team has come up with -- to use Cerny's term -- is designed to offer significant gains the PC can't, while still offering a familiar technological environment for engineers.

I loved it... PS4 = supercharged PC architecture.

I'll be honest and say that I was impressed by Mark Cerny's presentation in the February 20th reveal. He was talking to the crowed (not the prompter) and I got a sense that he knew what he was talking about, but then again, I'm not a developer so I'm fairly ignorant about the architecture decisions Sony chose along with AMD on the PS4.

I think only time will tell us if it they were wise decisions or not. I still gonna take the wait and see approach. I rather hold off and see if there are not manufacturing problems before purchasing one.

"It's ATI Radeon. Getting into specific numbers probably doesn't help clarify the situation much, except we took their most current technology, and performed a large number of modifications to it."

That was what I tried to explain here in the forum... if you look just to the number (1.84 TFLOPS) you will not understand what the PS4 is suppose to delivery in graphic terms.

DraconianAC said:
I'll be honest and say that I was impressed by Mark Cerny's presentation in the February 20th reveal. He was talking to the crowed (not the prompter) and I got a sense that he knew what he was talking about, but then again, I'm not a developer so I'm fairly ignorant about the architecture decisions Sony chose along with AMD on the PS4.

I think only time will tell us if it they were wise decisions or not. I still gonna take the wait and see approach. I rather hold off and see if there are not manufacturing problems before purchasing one.

Yeah, that's still the best thing to do right now.  From what has been revealed though, it seems the ps4 will be pretty powerful.  I just want to see the games to see what it's fully capable of.