By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft grabs 7.5 percent of the tablet market, leaves room for improvement

ArnoldRimmer said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I waited quite some time to post this:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4854836

I think there's actually no contradiction to his claim, because in that posting he spoke about "Windows Surface-based tablets", not "Windows 8 based tablets", and there are still only two Windows Surface tablets on the market, while this article is talking about all Windows 8 based tablets.

Btw., Peter King, Director at Strategy Analytics, btw. pointed out that these are shipped numbers, not sold numbers, and that for that reason they also didn't count so called "white-box tablets". But he mentioned that if they included white-box tablets, Android would already be at 52%, so Android has actually already surpassed Apple regarding tablet sales.

Things can get really fuzzy when you count some of those tablets. It's already pretty obvious that the graph above somehow includes Kindle Fire sales as "Google" tablets. The iPad has a better claim to being a "Google" tablet than the Fire does, since it at least ships with Google as default search provider.

As one tech observer wrote, it's better to think of Android as a platform for platforms, rather than a platform in itself. It's been estimated that around 1/3 of Android devices are sold in China with zero Google services included.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

You'll have to wait longer... He was talking about SURFACE TABLET. And use more your brain than your guts.

Laurel Aitken said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You'll have to wait longer... He was talking about SURFACE TABLET. And use more your brain than your guts.

He said "Nothing, absolutely nothing points to Windows tablets becoming huge" and he is proven wrong now.
Believe it or not, Windows 8 is doing just fine. MS reported a 25% revenue increase for the Windows division thanks to Windows 8. It sold 60 million copies till January, that means there were 20 million more copies of Windows 8 sold in the 2-3 months after its release than tablets were sold in this Q.

And with new $200 tablets on its way, a lot of indicators point towards a bright future for Windows 8, not only on tablets, but overall as well.

And yeah, reported.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
Laurel Aitken said:
DirtyP2002 said:

He said "Nothing, absolutely nothing points to Windows tablets becoming huge" and he is proven wrong now.
Believe it or not, Windows 8 is doing just fine. MS reported a 25% revenue increase for the Windows division thanks to Windows 8. It sold 60 million copies till January, that means there were 20 million more copies of Windows 8 sold in the 2-3 months after its release than tablets were sold in this Q.

And with new $200 tablets on its way, a lot of indicators point towards a bright future for Windows 8, not only on tablets, but overall as well.

And yeah, reported.

Yeah, huge... I think Windows tablets are doing fine, they are going to compete. But this far, nothing points to Windows tablets becoming huge. They are great devices and will have great sales... becoming huge, maybe, but this far, nothing points to that.

Use more your brain than your guts.

Are we seriously bragging about 7.5 % market share. With the amount of marketing, the amount of support from third party and the crappy amount of Android tablets. There is plenty of room to gain market share, Lets wait for better results.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

now let the tablet war begin. I really want to see what happens in the next few years. I hohneslty dont think android will remain a big player, people will get frustrated with the different versions from each company and the incompatibility of apps and programs. I think apple wont be able to keep up with innovation as they only make 1 model a year, where as windows will possibly have 1-10 different models a year. We will see.