By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios' next game is a Zelda spinoff

Why are some people worried about it being a spin-off? Usually spin-offs are not a good thing because they're done by second rate dev teams with smaller budgets, but this is Retro we're talking about here.

In the case of a major Nintendo franchise, spin-off probably just means they want to try something new, but are trying not to upset the fans by calling it the next part of the main franchise. Kinda like why the DS was called the DS instead of the new Game Boy. If it crashes and burns, they can go back to the same old without ruining a good name.

While Zelda has already made the jump to 3d, I think it's time to move on again. Ocarina of Time was epic and everything, but Nintendo has spent the past decade trying to emulate its greatness with pretty much the same gameplay, which was unbeliveable in 1998, but after stuff like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of the Colossus, is feeling a bit restrictive. Giving Zelda to a bunch of Texans sounds dangerous, but might just be the thing the series needs. =P

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

No, I don't think a Zelda spin-off is in the works by Retro for a few reasons!

1st. Nintendo EAD usually handles the Zelda series inhouse directly overseen or with the involvement of Shigeru Miyamoto.

Well you are wrong.  Flagship was founded bu Capcom with minor support from Nintendo made three original Zelda-games for Nintendos handheld-systems, and remade A Link to the Past so no, not all Zelda-games are handeled inhouse by EAD. MIyamoto can still oversee the project even if someone else makes it

By the way i've always wanted to see a story from Ganondorfs perspective

Oh no. I hope not. The Zelda series should never be outsourced again.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

a spin-off doesn't sound good, but at least whatever they're doing its in good hands with retro

Around the Network

i want a Sheik based game

kingofwale said:
What is it? "Links and Donkey Kong at the Shopping Mall"?

sadly, it will probably sell better than TP, just like how Mario and Sonic might outsell Galaxy

TP is one of the best selling Zelda games ever and will hit 5 Million +. And there is no way M&S will catch galaxy.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Paper Zelda???

haha no, but i trust Retro in whatever they do. They're a great company!
And besides, i liked those gameboy games made by Capcom (?).

give zelda and sheik their own game!!!

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

I hope that it´s not true, let Nintendo make the new Zelda and Retro make some new IP.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

I want retro to make more metroid games. Maybe a 3d side scroller. They could also make more 3d/shooter metroids that aren\'t in the prime series. The end of the prime series was 3 but not the end of metroid or 3d/shooter metroid. I love all three primes and what retro did with them. I also think retro should make more games. They are a good developer but they need to make more games to get more known. I want them to work on raven blade again. That game sounded so awesome.