By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Live adds 6 Million members in a single Year, is the hate unjustified?

Does Xbox Live deserve the criticism it gets in the forums?

Yes Xbox Live is a rip off 221 45.19%

No Xbox Live is the best ... 208 42.54%

No opinion / don't care 60 12.27%

Total:489
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:

That's great about every XBLA game getting trials. But all these games also require an internet connection to work so they're unplayable during maintenance and such unfortunate events. Not to mention the server costs all these trials cost Microsoft. I guess those Gold subsrptions are getting put to SOME use. I'll give credit where credit is due though. 

Thats just your opinion. I reality, XBL is a roadblock. It prevents people from playing online games or enjoying Netflix when these services are offered for free on other platforms. I'm sure Xbox Live has been very proftiable for Microsoft, but there's no way you can justify a paywall as anything but anti-consumer. 

I still don't get what's so social about XBL. What am I missing here? Is there some Miiverse-type thing I don't know about?

Come again? I can play all of my XBLA games without an Internet connection unless it's an online-only title like Battlefield 1943. You really think all XBLA games require an Internet connection? LOL.

I agree that Netflix and other apps that are free on other platforms should be available to Silver members. But online play? No. MS invested billions making Live as great as it is and there is nothing anti-consumer about making people pay to use their servers.

You do realize games like Call of Duty use Peer 2 Peer servers right? There are no dedicted servers so a game of Black Ops 2 is no better/worse than it is on PS3.

Probably the only few games that use Microsoft servers are the Halo's and maybe even Gears of War. Some PS3 exclusives have dedicated servers as well btw, so you can really use this to justify the XBLG sub.

Around the Network

God, it's the same fucking PS3 fans complaining about XBL gold. It's getting old and tiresome.

VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:

That's great about every XBLA game getting trials. But all these games also require an internet connection to work so they're unplayable during maintenance and such unfortunate events. Not to mention the server costs all these trials cost Microsoft. I guess those Gold subsrptions are getting put to SOME use. I'll give credit where credit is due though. 

Thats just your opinion. I reality, XBL is a roadblock. It prevents people from playing online games or enjoying Netflix when these services are offered for free on other platforms. I'm sure Xbox Live has been very proftiable for Microsoft, but there's no way you can justify a paywall as anything but anti-consumer. 

I still don't get what's so social about XBL. What am I missing here? Is there some Miiverse-type thing I don't know about?

Come again? I can play all of my XBLA games without an Internet connection unless it's an online-only title like Battlefield 1943. You really think all XBLA games require an Internet connection? LOL.

I agree that Netflix and other apps that are free on other platforms should be available to Silver members. But online play? No. MS invested billions making Live as great as it is and there is nothing anti-consumer about making people pay to use their servers.

You do realize games like Call of Duty use Peer 2 Peer servers right? There are no dedicted servers so a game of Black Ops 2 is no better/worse than it is on PS3.

Probably the only few games that use Microsoft servers are the Halo's and maybe even Gears of War. Some PS3 exclusives have dedicated servers as well btw, so you can really use this to justify the XBLG sub.

A majority of games on XBL use Microsoft's servers for matchmaking and the features of Live such as the party chat and others. No one said a word about dedicated servers.

Posts like this one and the one before that where you tried to tell me XBLA games require an always-connected DRM just prove my earlier point about the validity of opinions from people ignorant to the discussion at hand.

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 for the PS3 Has “Always Online” DRM, true story.

J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:

A majority of games on XBL use Microsoft's servers for matchmaking and the features of Live such as the party chat and others. No one said a word about dedicated servers.

Posts like this one and the one before that where you tried to tell me XBLA games require an always-connected DRM just prove my earlier point about the validity of opinions from people ignorant to the discussion at hand.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/17897/why-cant-i-play-the-xbox-live-arcade-games-ive-bought-without-an-internet-conn

This is what I'm referring to. XBLA full games that have been payed for get reverted back to trials.

Around the Network

I have no issue with it. Simply my gaming habits do not lend themselves to online gaming or what Live provides. I use PSN every so often, mostly to download a game I want, but I have not played online for a good 2 years now and have little desire to ever do so again. To each their own.

Oh yay, another one of these.

I think I've already said what I wanted to on this topic. I only buy XBL when it's heavily discounted. I can understand that some people like the features, have lots of friends on XBL and so would rather pay full price for it than be without it, that's completely fair. This still doesn't change the fact that Microsoft are charging a hefty sum for services they are not providing themselves, and services that are available on all competing consoles for free.

VGKing said:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/17897/why-cant-i-play-the-xbox-live-arcade-games-ive-bought-without-an-internet-conn

This is what I'm referring to. XBLA full games that have been payed for get reverted back to trials.

That's a license issue. Idk how anyone could read that and assume all games require an Internet connection. Just admit you had no idea what you are talking about.

J_Allard said:
VGKing said:

That's a license issue. Idk how anyone could read that and assume all games require an Internet connection. Just admit you had no idea what you are talking about.

Most of the people who blast Xbox Live have no idea what theyre talking about

J_Allard said:
VGKing said:

No, I do know what I'm talking about. People who have owned multiple 360s(lets be honest here, a lot) experience problems like these.

An XBLA game that is re-downloaded on a new Xbox 360 won't work offline and reverts to trial mode unless you sign in to XBL. I was mistaken with my first comment obviously. I didn't have the full story. Let's move on.