By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IN NEED OF HELP-Well the wife brook down and let me get a 42” LCD 1080p HDT

naznatips said:
The Wii looks awful on LCDs compared to Plasmas unfortunately. There will be a lot of aliasing on the LCD, and colors will be darker, blacks less defined. Component cables help, but because you went LCD, prepare for aliasing hell.

I just wanted to note, my LCD has no problem with true blacks.. it's only a 8000:1 but it has black enhancements and achieves true black pretty damn well. I also actually noticed more Aliasing on my friend 42" plasma than my 32" LCD through the same exact cables with the same exact Wii. With a good LCD these days you'll achieve the same picture as a plasma. LCD contrast ratio is actually on par with plasmas these days.. which determins your colors. Plus they found ways around the back light in the past few years. Any good LCD will be about the same as any good Plasma. Sorry for the double. Edit: You can still grab a cheap LCD with a crappy contrast ratio and such but I'd advise against it.

Around the Network

souxian,

1080i (interlaced) displays half of the 1080 'lines' of 1920x1080 resolution (every other 'line'), that is 540 lines in one refresh of the frame (requiring 2 refreshes to display all the information of a new frame).

So NO the resolutions are NOT the same between 1080i and 1080p

paulwoll said:

souxian,

1080i (interlaced) displays half of the 1080 'lines' of 1920x1080 resolution (every other 'line'), that is 540 lines in one refresh of the frame (requiring 2 refreshes to display all the information of a new frame).

So NO the resolutions are NOT the same between 1080i and 1080p

Actually you're wrong the resolution is 1920x1080 lines it IS the same resolution. Progressive and Interlaced have NOTHING to do with the resolution it has everything to do with the images refresh rate and the way it displays said image. Digital displays also link interlaced signals and make them progressive. It only refreshes 540lines at a single point but it displays all 1080 lines at a time which is why if you take an image of a digital display there's no flicker! It's also why if you take a picture of a SDTV there's some lines missing on some pictures but never on an HDTV regardless of if the signal is interlaced or progressive. Know your facts. Note: Just because a digital display is innately progressive does not mean a progressive signal isn't beneficial. I'm just saying it naturally produces a progressive signal be it 30 or 60 frames. In real filmed items this really won't make much of a difference as TV and anything filmed via camera is actually 24 FPS, so regardless of the set it will only be doubling and tripling frames unless you have cinema mode(I don't think most TV's do yet) which will turn it to 24frames. What is Resolution TV resolution can be described, measured and specified in different ways... # The number of lines per (mm or inch) both vertically and horizontally. # The number of line-pairs per (mm or inch) - vertically and horizontally. # The number of lines per total-display - Lines per Picture Height - LPH. The major difference in a native 1080i and a native 1080p set is the 1080p sets have more densely packed pixels so it's harder to pick them out in the image. Edit: Please don't think I'm saying 1080p isn't better than 1080i it is. I'm saying for the general person it's just not worth buying as most things don't use 1080p natively. If you want a big set, by all means buy 1080p displays but if you're going 42" or under you don't really need to bother with it unless you're totally anal about the picture. Edit again: * 480i - The picture is 704x480 - (60/2 interlaced frames per second) = 30 complete frames per second. * 480p - The picture is 704x480 - 60 complete frames per second. * 720p - The picture is 1280x720 - 60 complete frames per second. * 1080i - The picture is 1920x1080 - (60/2 interlaced frames per second) = 30 complete frames per second. * 1080p - The picture is 1920x1080 - 60 complete frames per second.

TheBigFatJ said:
naznatips said:
The Wii looks awful on LCDs compared to Plasmas unfortunately. There will be a lot of aliasing on the LCD, and colors will be darker, blacks less defined. Component cables help, but because you went LCD, prepare for aliasing hell.

This isn't an LCD vs Plasma issue, this is a TV with cheap scaler vs TV with good scaler issue. If you have a good LCD, the Wii won't look terribly aliased because it will be scaled well.

As stated, Component cables are very nice for the Wii.

From my experience a good scaler works better with DVD movies than with games. The fact you are upscaling the image does the opposide of anti-aliased . That is the GPU works the image on a high resolution than that which is  being displayed then scales it down by averaging out the sharp edges.