By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockband on the Wii

DLC isn't worth a tinkers dam to me. Kind of like getting bent over no force feedback and vibration. So what. The game performed well on PS2 with no DLC. The Wii would be fine.

Around the Network

I don't mind DLC, but it's not free haha. All these microtransactions would just break me haha. I mean don't we pay enough for this stuff haha.

I have one vote for "would be happy with 50-70 songs".

Honestly, DLC is a great, great idea for a game like this and it won't be easy to pull off on Wii, but personally I'll barely get through what's on the disc.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to release "update" discs in lieu of DLC. There's already enough released content that would make it reasonable to throw it all on another disc and sell it separately. That said, I'd still rather see DLC eventually on Wii.

I don't know, I played Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii and experienced some major lag (360 and PS3 have instant response) with the guitar, perhaps there were similar problems with Rockband and they didnt want to deal with it.

Around the Network

^Strange, because I've played 360 and Wii's, and they both have the same response time for me.

Username2324 said:
I don't know, I played Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii and experienced some major lag (360 and PS3 have instant response) with the guitar, perhaps there were similar problems with Rockband and they didnt want to deal with it.

Ehh? The only version I heard had significant lag (mainly online) was PS3. I notice lag even offline when playing the last solo of One on PS3.

Rock Band Mic reveals the game will be coming to the Wii

Remember not too long ago when we told you that Harmonix had finally announced the release of standalone instruments for Rock Band? That was cool, but they neglected to mention any word about a standalone mic. It was widely assumed that they weren’t overly concerned about it, as most any USB mic would work. Well, as it turns out, it’s already on sale, and its packaging holds a mysterious secret.

While it’s not the best picture, that does indeed say “Wii.”

When you look at the top right corner of the package, you’ll note which systems it is compatible with: Playstation 3, Wii and Xbox 360. Wait a minute….Wii? There’s no version of Rock Band coming out for the Wii. Or is there?

So far Harmonix has been mum on any information regarding a version of the game for Nintendo’s latest console. The package clearly states that the mic is for Rock Band, so my only guess would be that there is an announcement on the way, and the mics weren’t supposed to hit store shelves just yet.

http://www.slashgear.com/rock-band-mic-reveals-the-game-will-be-coming-to-the-wii-299950.php

Very interesting indeed,  a Wii version may be coming sooner than we expected.

Entroper said:
Sqrl said:

I've said this before but I'll say it again for good measure:

The sizes of those downloads is completely unnecessary. The avgerage single song should easily be able to fit under 10 MB including the information about what notes need to be played when etc... I have a feeling they are doing things the hard way and separating each instrument into its own file and mixing it back together at playback.

Whatever the reasons they did it for its not going to change now.

Honestly, the way the game works, they do need to have separate tracks and mix them during the game.  When you mess up, your specific instrument track doesn't play, but the rest of the tracks continue.  It has an effect in multiplayer, too.  Even with separate tracks, though, they could definitely consume less space than 30-60 MB per song.

@DMeisterJ: Stop trying to impose your own artificial limitations on the Wii.  Again, Smash Bros. appears to have its own download interface that is separate from the Wii Shop Channel, and there is absolutely no reason that Rock Band could not do the same.  Why do you make this stuff up?  Why do you even care, would a fully functional Wii version of Rock Band be some kind of a threat to you?

Both of you are also forgetting the crowd vocals specific for each song, the various video setups (each song has its own "video", if you will), and a few other things.

There's a lot more going on in Rock Band than you initially realize. Trust me, I've played the damned game enough to notice (logged well over 50 hours on the game already, probably more like 100). 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Worst case scenario would be publish extra discs of music, either under different themes (like GH 80's) or as a compilation containing the current catalog of RB songs (or selection of songs) in the database.

Figure they charge $6 for a three pack of songs by individual artists. Charging $30-40 for a decent compilation isn't outrageous. The question becomes whether Harmonix would want to publish additional content in this manner, keeping in mind licensing fees for each disc published and then covering production, packaging and distribution costs. DLC is much favorable to publishers in this respect.

Paying $160 for a static game would be less than ideal since one of the biggest novelties of RB was the constant inclusion of new tracks. Take that away and you end up waiting a year between releases, which is acceptable, but still under par set by XBL and PSN. Occasional new releases justify the initial package cost, but still does not offer the immediate delivery system provided through DLC.

DLC using SD memory cards seems ideal. Space is not an issue since the average buyer isn't going to buy enough extra tracks to fill even a 512MB card even at 40MB per track. If so, buy a 1GB card for what? $20 or less? The only issue with using SD cards to store licensed tracks is DRM. Harmonix, nor the recording labels that own the rights to the music itself, are not going to write carte blanche for anyone downloading paid for tracks to distribute as they see fit.

Under the current Wii operating system, anything that can be copied to SD card is now free game to be transferred to any other Wii console.

As such, you cannot transfer download purchases off the Wii. At least I haven't found a way to legally do this. All my classic games are locked on my console and cannot be transferred to SD card by standard (legal) means.

Unless Nintendo updates its file transfer/format system (maybe with a proprietary format for SD cards used with the Wii), that is the real hurdle for DLC.

No point really in arguing about it since it's not reality yet anyway. Either way, not publishing RB for the Wii still equals lost sales.