By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Paul Thurrott weighed in on the NeXtbox rumors shared some info from his sources

Good for the 360 really bad for the 720.

Around the Network
Colocho said:
wat? No BC? A $500 price point? And always connected?? Wat r they thinking!!?? If true, R.I.P Nextbox.

If true, the Nextbox can forget having a chance at competing with the PS4. Hell this would be good news to the Wii U as well :D

Really? There is no way on earth it required constant Internet to even function and is $500.. If Sony can get the PS4 out for £299 ms will be ruined

hmmmm, i'm not a big fan of microsoft but i doubt all these rumours until an official announcement... except for the 99$ xbox 360, that's gonna sell a lot, the rest seems like really bad decisions unless they want to make it more profitable and dont care if they get a smaller market share as long as it's profitable all the way.

if this is true they are doomed gefore getting started. this background light shit can't be this attractive to buy this piece of sh....

Around the Network

Wow, I really didn't expect the base model to be at $500 if this is true.

From the sounds of it, it is looking more and more like MS is going to push the Xbox to the mass market by being to be an all in one entertainment device, than a pure gaming platform.. like what Sony is planning for PS4. Which mirrors a few statements by people who've worked on the Durango.

My guess is that by bundling the Kinect and making it mandatory, they could make it easier for consumers to find content use their services. And also cater for the casual audiences with motion control games, hence why we had that comment about them targeting women gamers as the new "core".

rutea7 said:
JayWood2010 said:
So you guys know who he is.

Paul Brian Thurrott (born October 29, 1966)[1] is a technology blogger, published author, podcaster, and news editor for Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows and Windows IT Pro magazine. He regularly writes news, previews, and reviews for beta and completed Microsoft products, such as Windows, Microsoft Surface, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Microsoft Office, and other products.

He is the host of Windows Weekly with co-hosts Leo Laporte and Mary Jo Foley, a podcast focusing on weekly news of Microsoft, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and other Microsoft and computing related topics. Windows Weekly attracts approximately 80,000 downloads for each episode.
In 2011, Thurrott also became a regular contributor to the GFQ Network, and co-host of What The Tech along with co-host and GFQ Network founder, Andrew Zarian.

does that mean the rumours are true and he's a reliable source? i mean, it doesnt seem ok for him to reveal all this kind of information before the reveal of the console.

No.  He is just a blogger for mostly Microsoft proucts.  He seems intelligent and everything but he is still no part of MSFT.  He is speculating at the moment and he states that he doesn't really know.  He is just going by what his sources tell him.  I dont know enough about him to say if his sources are reliable or not.

JayWood2010 said:
rutea7 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Paul Brian Thurrott (born October 29, 1966)[1] is a technology blogger, published author, podcaster, and news editor for Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows and Windows IT Pro magazine. He regularly writes news, previews, and reviews for beta and completed Microsoft products, such as Windows, Microsoft Surface, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Microsoft Office, and other products.

He is the host of Windows Weekly with co-hosts Leo Laporte and Mary Jo Foley, a podcast focusing on weekly news of Microsoft, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and other Microsoft and computing related topics. Windows Weekly attracts approximately 80,000 downloads for each episode.
In 2011, Thurrott also became a regular contributor to the GFQ Network, and co-host of What The Tech along with co-host and GFQ Network founder, Andrew Zarian.

does that mean the rumours are true and he's a reliable source? i mean, it doesnt seem ok for him to reveal all this kind of information before the reveal of the console.

No.  He is just a blogger for mostly Microsoft proucts.  He seems intelligent and everything but he is still no part of MSFT.  He is speculating at the moment and he states that he doesn't really know.  He is just going by what his sources tell him.  I dont know enough about him to say if his sources are reliable or not.

Yep 100% agree.

Quote:

"The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year.

"So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they're also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don't actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they're making one—I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know, that I'm guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

"Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says 'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like 'Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes' or something like that. I don't even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you're playing against other people online. Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

Key words =  'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means.

rutea7 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I have seen several people saying he has a good track record over at gaf..so yeah I think he is pretty legit. But what he heard can still change before launch, especially things like price etc

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!