By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: The Fat Burning Zone Myth: Don't Be Fooled

Turkish said:
JayWood2010 said:
theprof00 said:
Thanks for this. Very informative. I never pay attention to the fat burning zone anyway, but good to know that I'm doing something right. Also, didn't know about the afterburn effect. Freaky.

Glad you enjoyed.

Oh yes , the afterburn effect is amazing.  I havent done a long time cardio session in probably 2 years.  I either do my cardio through supersets which will activate the afterburn effect or a High Intensity Interval Traingin (HIIT).  My favorite is either the 30/30/30 or M-100.  Both takes 3-10 minutes.

Why are you so persistent in never including a source of the article??

Fixed.  I usually do link people to builtlean, i just forgot to put it up this time.

Around the Network

Good info. I already knew that, though. If you do cardio and you're not grasping for air after 5 minutes then you're doing it wrong.

Take a look at this article/video, it's very educational.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/06/26/10-minutes-of-exercise-yields-hourlong-effects.aspx

JayWood2010 said:
Turkish said:
JayWood2010 said:
theprof00 said:
Thanks for this. Very informative. I never pay attention to the fat burning zone anyway, but good to know that I'm doing something right. Also, didn't know about the afterburn effect. Freaky.

Glad you enjoyed.

Oh yes , the afterburn effect is amazing.  I havent done a long time cardio session in probably 2 years.  I either do my cardio through supersets which will activate the afterburn effect or a High Intensity Interval Traingin (HIIT).  My favorite is either the 30/30/30 or M-100.  Both takes 3-10 minutes.

Why are you so persistent in never including a source of the article??

Fixed.  I usually do link people to builtlean, i just forgot to put it up this time.

nice!

JayWood2010 said:
nightsurge said:
Yes, if anything, you gotta be in the "Cardio Zone". I find that heart rate zone more accurate at the gym to coincide with higher intensity training and actually better fat burning.

Not that I really need to burn fat lol. All I am doing lately is trying to get extra definition, lean cut muscle for my honeymoon in the next month or so! I've got 4 solid abs, the blasted bottom 2 are the hardest because that is the one place a body naturally stores a bit of fat pooch.

Right now I'm 150-155 pounds with only 6% body fat.

I basically follow the Advocare 24day challenge meal/workout plan, but I use my own supplements rather than their overpriced stuff.

Are you measuring your bf% yourself?  at 6% bf you should have a full 6 pack.  usually 8-12% bf is when you see your 6 pack.  If you truly are at 6% bf I'd recommend doing some ab building routines, although this may require you to take in a little extra calories to build some muscle.  

Either way congrats on the marriage and glad to see you taking care of your body :)

It is measured by some handheld device they have at the gym so I have no idea of how accurate that is. How do I measure it myself?

I've always thought that sounded way too low considering I don't look THAT cut/skinny. Every time I've used the device at the gym it was between 4-8%, never above 10.

And I do a considerable amount of ab training so I doubt it is from lack of ab muscle. Probably just the device I was using to measure it is way the heck off lol...

And thanks! I've always been pretty fit and cut looking, but the last few years I stopped working out as much and my metabolism slowed down a tad so I figured I'd better get back into it because I missed my sixpack.

nightsurge said:
JayWood2010 said:
nightsurge said:
Yes, if anything, you gotta be in the "Cardio Zone". I find that heart rate zone more accurate at the gym to coincide with higher intensity training and actually better fat burning.

Not that I really need to burn fat lol. All I am doing lately is trying to get extra definition, lean cut muscle for my honeymoon in the next month or so! I've got 4 solid abs, the blasted bottom 2 are the hardest because that is the one place a body naturally stores a bit of fat pooch.

Right now I'm 150-155 pounds with only 6% body fat.

I basically follow the Advocare 24day challenge meal/workout plan, but I use my own supplements rather than their overpriced stuff.

Are you measuring your bf% yourself?  at 6% bf you should have a full 6 pack.  usually 8-12% bf is when you see your 6 pack.  If you truly are at 6% bf I'd recommend doing some ab building routines, although this may require you to take in a little extra calories to build some muscle.  

Either way congrats on the marriage and glad to see you taking care of your body :)

It is measured by some handheld device they have at the gym so I have no idea of how accurate that is. How do I measure it myself?

I've always thought that sounded way too low considering I don't look THAT cut/skinny. Every time I've used the device at the gym it was between 4-8%, never above 10.

And I do a considerable amount of ab training so I doubt it is from lack of ab muscle. Probably just the device I was using to measure it is way the heck off lol...

And thanks! I've always been pretty fit and cut looking, but the last few years I stopped working out as much and my metabolism slowed down a tad so I figured I'd better get back into it because I missed my sixpack.

Yeah electronic bf scanners have been known to be off.  My guess is that you are around 12-15% bf since you can at least see 4 abs.  

You need Calipers to measure bf%.  Even then it is still hard to do and you will have to do a little math but here is an article on how to measure with calipers. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html

Around the Network

Also, for my cardio:

I do intervals of 1 minute in 3 stages. I do this for about 15-30 minutes depending on my energy level and how much sweat I'm losing.

Eliptical - I ramp it up after each set of 3.

Set 1 - Level 1 for 60 seconds at speed 5, level 4 for 60 seconds at speed 7, level 8 for 60 seconds at speed 8.

Set 2 - Level 1 for 60, level 5 for 60, level 10 for 60

Set 3 - Level 1 for 60, level 6 for 60, level 12 for 60

Set 4 - Level 1 for 60, level 7 for 60, level 14 for 60

Set 5 - Level 1 for 60, level 8 for 60, level 16 for 60

I do those sets back to back with no breaks obviously. The level 1 sections are my recovery periods. After 15 minutes I am sweating like a pig and usually pretty exhausted. Sometimes I go longer and don't ramp up quite so fast becasue level 14 and 16 on the eliptical are hard to keep up!