By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles ruining the gaming industry?

MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

Sooo, to your beginning point. How is this a benefit over PC when PC just streams straight off the harddrive?

More space for data, you can for example have a much wider varierty of high quality textures.

That is completely Bull****. As already stated, PC games can store as much data as the devs. want (within reason) because all of the important files will be installed onto your hard drive. That's the way PC games have been for quite a while now.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

Sooo, to your beginning point. How is this a benefit over PC when PC just streams straight off the harddrive?

More space for data, you can for example have a much wider varierty of high quality textures.

More Space data doesnt matter, because they can just put it on multiple DVDs as theyve done in the past with CDs.  Play isnt effected by multiple discs either because its all streamed off harddrive.

totalwar23 said:
MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

That is completely Bull****. As already stated, PC games can store as much data as the devs. want (within reason) because all of the important files will be installed onto your hard drive. That's the way PC games have been for quite a while now.

yeah, what he said.

prlatino86 said:
MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

More Space data doesnt matter, because they can just put it on multiple DVDs as theyve done in the past with CDs. Play isnt effected by multiple discs either because its all streamed off harddrive.

Installing multiple DVDs entirely onto a harddrive will take lots of harddrive space, many PCs are only equipped with 20 GB- 60 GB harddrives, on a PC with Windows and office installed this would mean you can only have 1 such game stored on a 20GB-40GB PC and be running into Windows virtual memory issues.

Installing the DVDs will be time consuming and would be far from providing a hassle free experience, more so than probably most people would like to endure. I don't see this happening anytime soon, however dual layer PS3 games are just around the corner.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Press_the_Button said:
Garcian Smith said:
No. In fact, consoles regularly save gaming from the stagnant and backwards-looking PC market, which, at the moment, is populated by mostly a bunch of nerdshoes who won't even touch a game if it requires a joypad or doesn't have at least 25 different hotkey controls.

Oh dear, you are so, so wrong with that.

Firstly, I've not yet seen a PC magazine slag off a game for needing a joypad and PC magazines are the most likely place to find “nerdshoes”.

Secondly, the PC gaming market pushes the market forward through constant innovation. In the period when the PS3 and Xbox360 start getting long in the tooth and developers can’t get more out of them and before the next generation of consoles gets launched, it’ll be PC game developers, using the PC’s multi-core processors, more memory, better graphics cards etc. to learn how to program better AI, develop better graphics etc. in readiness for use in the next gen of consoles games.

Thirdly, most of the current popular genres on the consoles originated on the PC – the PC was doing FPS long before Halo/Goldeneye etc made it popular on the consoles, so too was it the birthplace of to RTS's and MMO's - which will be popular on the Consoles before too long. Games such as Civilization, Spore, The Sims all started on the PC and were perfected on the PC and have/are increasingly migrating to the Consoles and becoming popular games there.

I've seen several magazines do so - taking off at least a few percentage points for no keyboard support. Anyone remember the Resident Evil 4 port for PC, for example, where PC gamers were outraged over the fact that the game required a joypad?

The PC gaming market has long since ceased to be as innovative as you say. While you could make such an argument for the period up to the late '90s/early '00s, for several years now the PC market has been cranking out generic MMOs, RTS/strategy games, and realistic sims, while consoles have got most of the truly innovative games. The last PC game I remember really pushing the envelope of gameplay, AI, and physics was Half Life 2, and now even Valve is regularly releasing games for consoles.

Other than that, when is the last time that  the PC market produced a  truly groundbreaking game like Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, Thief, or Starcraft?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
MikeB said:
prlatino86 said:
MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

More Space data doesnt matter, because they can just put it on multiple DVDs as theyve done in the past with CDs. Play isnt effected by multiple discs either because its all streamed off harddrive.

Installing multiple DVDs entirely onto a harddrive will take lots of harddrive space, many PCs are only equipped with 20 GB- 60 GB harddrives, on a PC with Windows and office installed this would mean you can only have 1 such game stored on your PC and be running into Windows virtual memory issues.

Installing the DVDs will be time consuming are far from a hassle free experience most people would like to endure. I don't see this happening anytime soon, however dual layer PS3 games are just around the corner.

Dude, are you kidding me? How old is you computer? One of my Harddrives alone is 80 gig, and its 4 years old. Hell, you probably cant FIND a 20 gig harddrive for sale. (unless its like a raptor SATA drive) You can get a 250 Gig Harddrive for 75 bucks. Cheap computers even come now with 250 gig harddrives, while some top end computer have a Terabyte of HDD space. (two 500 gig drives)

Edit: Hell, i just found out my father has a 450 gigs on his computer, and all he does is watch movies and surf the web on there.   

@prlatino86:
"The N DS was never marketed or really even designed to play like a portable console. If im correct, PSP is really the first to try and make a true Portable.... well, console, if that makes any sense, haha. Like a true home console you could take with you."
ROTFL? how the hell gb, gbc, gba and ds weren't "true" portable console?

waron said:
@prlatino86:
"The N DS was never marketed or really even designed to play like a portable console. If im correct, PSP is really the first to try and make a true Portable.... well, console, if that makes any sense, haha. Like a true home console you could take with you."

Did you even read what i wrote, i said true portable console in the sense of a home console you could take with you, jesus, people read your shit before you make a dumbass comment. its gets a little annoying having to repeat myself.

prlatino86 said:

Dude, are you kidding me? How old is you computer? One of my Harddrives alone is 80 gig, and its 4 years old. Hell, you probably cant FIND a 20 gig harddrive for sale. (unless its like a raptor SATA drive) You can get a 250 Gig Harddrive for 75 bucks. Cheap computers even come now with 250 gig harddrives, while some top end computer have a Terabyte of HDD space. (two 500 gig drives)

Edit: Hell, i just found out my father has a 450 gigs on his computer, and all he does is watch movies and surf the web on there.

I have a 250 GB (upgraded after my 160 GB drive failed) harddrive, but you and me aren't the average average potential PC games consumer. I have been a tech writer and we both assembled PCs in the past.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

waron said:

The argument is that those are all "handhelds" as opposed to "consoles" that are tied to a TV. The PSP offers a console like experience in a handheld. Proof of that is something like PSP games that are ported to the Wii and to the PS2 and vice versa. The PSP has games that are comparable to PS2 games that are still being made right now. DS does not offer a console experience unless you reach back about 10 years. So the PSP is like a console that is also portable. The DS is not like a console but it's more portable. If you don't like the line of reasoning then that's just fine, the world will keep turning. I hope.