By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles ruining the gaming industry?

MikeB said:
I was mostly a PC gamer for the previous generation (only owning a DS lite since when it came out). With regard to dumbing down games that's not necessary the case anymore. With the Cell processor and Blu-Ray technically consoles provide technical advantages over PC gaming of their own.

With regard to the Wii, the bestsellers are totally unlike PC games. This style of gameplay is new and interests many new consumers, especially females.

Don't want to start anything, but I can't help but ROFLMAO.

Around the Network

I hate computer games

No. In fact, consoles regularly save gaming from the stagnant and backwards-looking PC market, which, at the moment, is populated by mostly a bunch of nerdshoes who won't even touch a game if it requires a joypad or doesn't have at least 25 different hotkey controls. Consoles regularly remind us that, for the rest of us, it's good, low-learning-curve fun - and not Complex RTS/Sim #2870 - that most people enjoy.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

waron said:

then what the heck was the whole nintendo kingdom of portable consoles earlier? it didn't give you console experience in portable machine? psp gave us only loco roco, potapon nad bunch of games that i could find on ps2. so for me psp is just a smaller ps2.

Exactly. The PSP is very comparable to a much smaller PS2. One that you can carry around with you. It's portable. It's a great portable multi-media machine. Really, it is. You can't deny it.

fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:
@Goosegaws
Im not talking about a specific genre of game dying here. That idea i understand perfectly, i totally understand that.

@fkusumot
I guess theres a few ways it could effects consoles. Think of the industry as a whole. With consoles, theres a certain limitation. If everything becomes "LCD" made for consoles, you may have stagnation in the market. With increased costs of production for consoles and gaming in general, this is becoming more and more a reality. Its been talked a lot about recently that developers are less likely to take risks, essentially making the market stale.

Not to mention more and more the oversaturation of the market. Look at this past christmas season, with the amount of competition with software. Theres been a quite a few people ive heard say they just straight ran out of money and werent able to buy the games they wanted because too many options.

All this could lead to a similar problem the Music and Movie industry is having with decreased sales. While they say its piracy, a lot of others just say because they keep releasing crap and people are getting sick of it. But thats pure speculation there.

Another issue is with increasing knowledge and simplicity of PCs, including decreasing prices (I used to build custom made PCs, while most people dont see the trend, it is actually the case), and now people are more knowledgable about computers then they were a couple of years ago, PCs may once again become a bigger player in the gaming world.

In reality, ignoring the price of a Monitor, speakers and keyboard, you can build an extremely well suited gaming PC for the price it costs to buy a PS3 80 gig right now, AND it be more capable, and have more uses. I say without the monitor and speakers, but before anyone jumps on me about that, does the price of a PS3 include a TV and stereo/surround sound system?

Also, now that you have a lot of mulitplats being released on PC as well, with superior graphics and lower prices, many people may be compelled to stick with PC gaming in the near future.

This is all speculation. Main thing is its all a piece of a bigger picture, of what people have been talking about with the way the industry is moving, towards a blander, less risk, repetitious market.

PS: im not going to get into a discussion of the Wii and my last little comment in this post. Yes, the Wiis control is an innovation, but it doesnt necessarily make the games innovating.

I don't know. I can't follow the logic of your argument. You keep sticking in strange pieces of information that don't seem to apply. For instance your comment about people running out of money because there were too many games that they wanted. That doesn't sound like it's really a bad situation for a gamer. It would seem worse to have enough money to buy games but have no games that you wanted to buy.

You follow up the "saturation" comment with something about declining sales in the music and movie industry. I don't think the decline was preceded by a glut of great artistic masterpieces. I'm not sure what type of speculation you were making there.

On to PC's, you comment that they are becoming more accessible. That's a good thing, right? I'm not sure how that figures into your OP.

Look up the Videogame Crash of 1983.  that should make more sense of why these things are not necessarily a good thing.  

On the music and movie industry, it isnt necessarily a glut of that.  Did i not make a comment earlier about the industry moving towards less risks, less innovation and more "sure fire" gains?  Much like the music and movie industry.  Maybe im just tired, but i feel like im repeating myself a lot in this thread.  

PCs becoming more accessible is a good thing for PC gaming.  I was answering your question how it could be bad for consoles. 

Around the Network

NO, only CASUALS gamers.
Because of them, most games become more simple, less hardcore.
Because of them, most games are created for money, not for ART.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

MikeB said:
@ prlatino86

PC for the price it costs to buy a PS3 80 gig right now, AND it be more capable, and have more uses.

Not more capable with regard to watching Blu-Ray movies and nor per se with regard to gaming.

Most people prefer to play games and watch movies on TV sets, for this the PS3 is far more suitable. You can easily connect many Sixaxis controllers for multi-player fun, you don't have to worry about viruses, trojans and all that stuff.

I have been a PC assembler in my student years as well, most consumers were and still are misinformed and uneducated with regard to PCs. The most common basic knowledge basically comes down to, more Mhz means faster (which doesn't per se need to be the case) and more memory is better (especially for using Windows and software).

PC's are mostly used for internet surfing, reading emails, writing documents and such. For this you don't need the latest and "greatest" OS, nor do you really need an impressive PC setup.

Besides watching a Blu Ray movie, and multiplayer in-house, what other capablities does it have over the PC, that the PC cant do better?  You do realize more and more people are connecting their PCs to their TVs, sense many High Def TVs have HDMI or DVI imports on them now.  

totalwar23 said:
MikeB said:
I was mostly a PC gamer for the previous generation (only owning a DS lite since when it came out). With regard to dumbing down games that's not necessary the case anymore. With the Cell processor and Blu-Ray technically consoles provide technical advantages over PC gaming of their own.

With regard to the Wii, the bestsellers are totally unlike PC games. This style of gameplay is new and interests many new consumers, especially females.

Don't want to start anything, but I can't help but ROFLMAO.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand this. Blu-Ray discs can hold more data, currently many of the exclusives are streaming 7.1 quality audio, with newer game engines other data, most importantly texture data can be streamed as well. This allows for a wider varierty of data (more data) to be streamed than is the case with DVD.

With regard to the Cell processor you just need to read any of the univerity or scientific papers, research shows potential advantages compared to PC CPUs. IBM isn't using the Cell to built high-end supercomputers for nothing.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

CrazzyMan said:
NO, only CASUALS gamers.
Because of them, most games become more simple, less hardcore.
Because of them, most games are created for money, not for ART.

CASUALS!!!

For those of us who aren't a teenager with all the time in the world, games becoming more simple and less hardcore is a good thing. Wait five years or so and you'll agree.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but most games were always created for money. The "artsy" market has always been tiny.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

fkusumot said:
waron said:

then what the heck was the whole nintendo kingdom of portable consoles earlier? it didn't give you console experience in portable machine? psp gave us only loco roco, potapon nad bunch of games that i could find on ps2. so for me psp is just a smaller ps2.

Exactly. The PSP is very comparable to a much smaller PS2. One that you can carry around with you. It's portable. It's a great portable multi-media machine. Really, it is. You can't deny it.

yes, but it didn't give something new to the market - which is still my point(well except being a multimedia thing). now consoles are only beter technically and nothing more plus they're starting to look like pc(you know ps3 can have linux and so on).