By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 is "barely mediocre"? (According to Surfer Girl it is...)

Since when is Halo genre defining, let alone for 2+ generations?

Bungie's own Marathon series is more genre defining, as they were the first to implement dual weilding.

As cklmb figured I was talking about console FPS games. Every new FPS that comes out is measured against it. That sounds fairly genre defining to me. Of course no console FPS could ever hope to define the PC FPS experience. Controllers just aren't built to play them well.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

Halo series was awful. Starcraft rip off. that was the best game MS had though. They put all their eggs in one game. The hype carried them the rest of the way. half the people i talked to who bought it werent even all that thrilled about it(their hype wore off). They just had to see where the story goes because they didnt finish it with the 2nd one.

Legend11 said:

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/

"Take it away, friendo:

remember this story? that figure was actually €21 million ($30 million) and it has only gone up from there (by gone up i mean it has doubled to €42 million/$60 million). by the time killzone 2 comes out it will dethrone shenmue as the most expensive video game ever made. the game should have cost the former figure but guerrilla's managerial lacks any sort of financial or work allocation skills, the studio has high turnover and a few other things. because of this incapacity a nice portion of the team at studio cambridge is assisting in development. to top this off the game may be pretty but it's barely mediocre and past the point of no return. the september release date floating around will without doubt be missed if guerrilla sticks to their intention of not releasing the game until its done which will be early next year.

To add to this, over at Insomniac, there is a general feeling of sharp resent towards Guerrilla and Killzone, as they believe that Guerrilla is imbibing the currency whilst they are delivering. In far less time and with less people, Insomniac have a far better title that is further along in development. This resent seems justified."

she was being nice. this game's gonna suck.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Man those posts are huge it took me a lot of time to read them =/.

Gnizmo said:

Bungie's own Marathon series is more genre defining, as they were the first to implement dual weilding.

As cklmb figured I was talking about console FPS games. Every new FPS that comes out is measured against it. That sounds fairly genre defining to me. Of course no console FPS could ever hope to define the PC FPS experience. Controllers just aren't built to play them well.

Ah, so it's"genre defining" only when you remove an entire platform?

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

You're right, but for the wrong reason. Marathon implemented mouse look, changing FPS forever. Much more important than dual-wielding.

But Halo also deserves a nod for defining console FPS as we know them. It may have introduced regenerating health, too. I can't really recall.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

makingmusic476 said:
Gnizmo said:

Ah, so it's"genre defining" only when you remove an entire platform?

I honestly view console FPSers and PC FPSers as entirely different genres. Games that work well on the PC simply do not translate into a fun console experience because of how differently they play. Team Fortress 2 is a great example of this. Halo is one that failed to grab success on PCs but has a huge console fanbase that even surpasses the FPS games thar are so great on PC but can't find as good a folowing on consoles.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Man, I don't know how Team Fortress 2 would be fun on the PS3 or 360. My time with the PS3 version felt like it was broken. I couldn't be my favorite class, the sniper because I can't even come close to how precise I can be with the keyboard and mouse to make quick responses to enemies. It never felt as fun or as intense as it does on the PC and 'Sniper Wars' never feel the same.

As for Halo, I have the PC port and it's rather meh. However, I like the attempt at online play from Gearbox, but they did a poor job of it so that (along with 'HEAVY WEAPONZ ONLY!!!!!111' servers) kind of kill the online experience for me. Still, I'm sure the multiplayer is much better as a LAN game rather than online because I don't think you get the delay that you do online if you were playing in a LAN party.

rocketpig said:
makingmusic476 said:

You're right, but for the wrong reason. Marathon implemented mouse look, changing FPS forever. Much more important than dual-wielding.

But Halo also deserves a nod for defining console FPS as we know them. It may have introduced regenerating health, too. I can't really recall.

According to the Top Ten Best/Worst Games list from Games Trailers it was the first one to have the regenerating health bar. It's multi-player was also listed as influential.   

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

who is surfer girl?