By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 2 - generation - change rule

omgwtfbbq said:

it just seems to be an ongoing trend in gaming that every company fucks up their third system:

Nintendo, N64: screwed over third party developers and stuck to cartriges
Sega: Saturn included a whole bunch of add-ons which alienated the fan base
Atari: 7800 failed dismally against NES (but the 5200 wasn't too crash hot)
Sony: PS3 too expensive, not going well so far
MS: well they haven't maid it yet, but due to a terrible outing by Xbox and so far 360 aint looking too crash hot, if they even make a third gen it won't look too bad compared to the previous two

Nintendo seems to have bucked this trend with their handhelds, however.

This is only part true, part of Segas downfall was people became tired of buying upgrades for the sega systems, Sega Cd 32x etc.

Part of Ataris downfall was the fact that companies  brought out a LOT of crap, this was the biggest cause of the game downfall in the 80's in the USA.

Nintendo had a lot of falling outs with 3rd parties it wasn't totally carts. there are MANY more factors.

Sony PS3 I agree with but PSP has no excuse 

MS, Xbox was basically a test for them to break into the market the 360 was the ultimate plan of this. I think their game systems will do well but never GOOD because the Asian market just won't accept them. Granted Japan is not the biggest market but it is about 1/4 of the market.. without it it's DIFFICULT to come out on top.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:

it just seems to be an ongoing trend in gaming that every company fucks up their third system:

Nintendo, N64: screwed over third party developers and stuck to cartriges
Sega: Saturn included a whole bunch of add-ons which alienated the fan base
Atari: 7800 failed dismally against NES (but the 5200 wasn't too crash hot)
Sony: PS3 too expensive, not going well so far
MS: well they haven't maid it yet, but due to a terrible outing by Xbox and so far 360 aint looking too crash hot, if they even make a third gen it won't look too bad compared to the previous two

Nintendo seems to have bucked this trend with their handhelds, however. 

The reason they bucked the trend is because they realized the failure of pushing forward in the same direction every time, and they decided to take a risk (which they didn't take with N64 or GC). When the DS was first announced, it wasn't automatically the most awesome thing. People are always scared of change, especially when their money is on the line.

z64dan said:
omgwtfbbq said:
I'd like to see VGChartz work properly with Firefox and Opera!

People are always scared of change, especially when their money is on the line.

Two things come to mind:

1) If people as a whole are scared of change (which is entirely true from a psychological perspective), especially when their money is on the line, I think that speaks volumes about Nintendo's management who had their money, jobs, reputation and company on the line to take the gambles they did. Them's big brass cojones they have!

2) Is this also the reason why Sony and Microsoft fans (indeed, many "hardcore gamers) diss the Wii so much? That they are afraid of change?

your mother said:
z64dan said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Two things come to mind:

1) If people as a whole are scared of change (which is entirely true from a psychological perspective), especially when their money is on the line, I think that speaks volumes about Nintendo's management who had their money, jobs, reputation and company on the line to take the gambles they did. Them's big brass cojones they have!

2) Is this also the reason why Sony and Microsoft fans (indeed, many "hardcore gamers) diss the Wii so much? That they are afraid of change?

We're afraid that Sony and Microsoft might follow Nintendo's lead and release piece of shit outdated hardware.  Who buys a next gen console to play last gen games?  Well besides Wii fanboys? 

your mother said:
z64dan said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Two things come to mind:

1) Nintendo gambled because it was their entire business was on the line.  They've already lost the last 2 gen and 10 years worth of home console business.  They were approaching a point that their install base would not have the critical mass to support the games they published. With the exit by Sega in the last gen, Nintendo was feeling the pressure to succeed, lest they become another Sega. 

2) Well, in a way, it's also their money on the line because they've invested a lot of money into Xbox and/or PS3.  Only if their chosen console do well will they see the publishers cater to their console, giving them the return on their "investment"

Around the Network
auroragb said:
your mother said:
z64dan said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Two things come to mind:

1) Nintendo gambled because it was their entire business was on the line. They've already lost the last 2 gen and 10 years worth of home console business. They were approaching a point that their install base would not have the critical mass to support the games they published. With the exit by Sega in the last gen, Nintendo was feeling the pressure to succeed, lest they become another Sega.

2) Well, in a way, it's also their money on the line because they've invested a lot of money into Xbox and/or PS3. Only if their chosen console do well will they see the publishers cater to their console, giving them the return on their "investment"

The problem is "winning" is suggestive. Gamecube and N64 made Nintendo a lot of money pretty readily, they were still the 2nd best publisher for most of those years. That and other ventures could have easily kept them in console buisness for a LONG time. Sega was not the same, they didn't make much money on Sega Saturn, Dreamcst or CD, in addition Sega 1st party games weren't as well recieved as nintendo ones (ever) and they didn't have all the side ventures nintendo does.