By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Civilization Revolution put on indefinite hold

Gnizmo said:
naznatips said:
Not sure why anyone cares... the console versions of this will suck. All of them. Hell, the PC version will probably suck too. Civilization has sucked pretty consistently since the turn of the century, and an awful publisher like 2K certainly won't be helping that.

Civ 4 was a big step in the right direction at least. I am semi-interested in renting the game just to see how RTS work on the Wii. I am going to guess it will suck due to a lack of buttons, but I might be able to work around that.

Yeah, 4 was decent.  Nowhere near as good as the older ones though IMO.  At least not for their time. 

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:

Civ 4 was a big step in the right direction at least. I am semi-interested in renting the game just to see how RTS work on the Wii. I am going to guess it will suck due to a lack of buttons, but I might be able to work around that.

In case you didn't know Revolution is still TBS.

I wonder if they are having difficulties trying to get everything running on the Wii?
More likely 2K told Firaxis to drop (put on hold) the version that is least developed which just happen to be Wii.

naznatips said:
Not sure why anyone cares... the console versions of this will suck. All of them. Hell, the PC version will probably suck too. Civilization has sucked pretty consistently since the turn of the century, and an awful publisher like 2K certainly won't be helping that.

what are you talking about? :( I have played Civ2 until Civ4 came out and then I didn't have any doubt about what to play... especially with the whole modding possibilities behind, and after finding Fall from Heaven 2 I didn't even come back to vanilla Civ4...

and IGN got an interview about the DS version and some screenies: http://ds.ign.com/articles/848/848158p1.html

I'm not fully satisfied about the graphics though, I'm pretty sure they could make it more detailed, and I wouldn't mind if the map was a bit larger too so it could be more detailed.. but if the game has a Civ feeling it can't be that bad, and I'm talking about the portable one - I certainly don't mind a "dumbed down" one to play during spare time.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

naznatips said:

I could see Civ working pretty well on consoles, it wouldn't be like RTS games (I can't stand those on consoles)

They should of released the hold Civ's on Xbox Live to make a couple bucks. 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Smidlee said:
Gnizmo said:

In case you didn't know Revolution is still TBS.

I wonder if they are having difficulties trying to get everything running on the Wii?
  More likely 2K told Firaxis to drop the version that is least developed which just happen to be Wii.

Huh, you know I thought it was turn-based and then somehow got the idea it was real-time from someone. Maybe it wouldn't suck then, but I doubt they will get the control scheme right.

what are you talking about? :( I have been played Civ2 until Civ4 came out and then I didn't have any doubt about what to play... especially with the whole modding possibilities behind, and after finding Fall from Heaven 2 I didn't even come back to vanilla Civ4.

Civ 2 is just so much better than 4 it is ridiculous. I do like a few of the changes in 4 but for the most part they were just undoing the horror that was Civ 3.

Gebx said:

I could see Civ working pretty well on consoles, it wouldn't be like RTS games (I can't stand those on consoles)

They should of released the hold Civ's on Xbox Live to make a couple bucks.

Scrolling across the map is painful. Not having all the keyboard short cuts for all the various minor functions would ruin the game. It is annoying enough to set-up my rail road network with it just being move a space and hit a key.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:

Civ 2 is just so much better than 4 it is ridiculous. I do like a few of the changes in 4 but for the most part they were just undoing the horror that was Civ 3.

I completely agree. 

The more I look at this ... the less sense it makes.

This is a quick, stripped down version of Civilization ... which means it makes perfect sense for the Wii. That unit has a varied user base, many of whom would probably enjoy a very accessible version of the Sid Meier classic.

Meanwhile, the game appears to simple or casual for many (if not most) PS3 or Xbox 360 users.

I just don't get it.

I think the speculation that the last version started got stalled (for financial reasons) may be correct.

Mike from Morgantown -- lamenting a game he had hoped to buy

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The more I look at this ... the less sense it makes.

This is a quick, stripped down version of Civilization ... which means it makes perfect sense for the Wii. That unit has a varied user base, many of whom would probably enjoy a very accessible version of the Sid Meier classic.

Meanwhile, the game appears to simple or casual for many (if not most) PS3 or Xbox 360 users.

I just don't get it.

I think the speculation that the last version started got stalled (for financial reasons) may be correct.

Mike from Morgantown -- lamenting a game he had hoped to buy

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

From reading a few GAF posts the Wii version was only being developed because the developers felt they have enough time to develop. Maybe after being in development they realize that the Wii version will be delayed so they halted the project.

OMG the WII is DOOMED!!!!!!!1

At least that is what people say when this happens to a PS3 game.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson