By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Computer games scheme is 'gimmick'

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jPcv4AFDeRgogUUo7ONPyVDqX5TA

Read this and share your views.

My thoughts are> Of course running around and actually sporting for real is better for you then playing the Wii but is there any dought that used correcly the Wii is better then all other consoles so far and helps as a step in the right direction when it comes to obesity and improving exercise rates?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Perhaps Wii sports will get people interested in more real sports, I had never played real tennis till after Wii sports [I'm not great at real tennis though it seems]

The problem is if the Wii replaces other forms of exercise.

A friend of mine is a primary school teacher and was recently shocked to find that some girls (5-6) coming into the class when asked "Did you play any sports or do any exercise over the weekend?" replied "Yeah I played with my Wii".

She had to tell a few parents that the Wii is really not a suitable form of exercise.

The problem is that some people delude themselves into thinking they will get fit by playing Wii sports, when in reality it has no cardio-vascular benefits.

@ TWRoO
The problem with real tennis is that, unlike Wii tennis, it actually requires skill and a certain degree of physical fitness to be good at it. Victory is not determined by whether or not you tilt your controller at the right time.

If you play the games as they were supposed to be played (as the sport is played) you can get a good work out.

At least I know I do get a good work out when I play those games fot the purpose of working out and exercising. 

Yes, I agree that it shouldn´t replace other heavier form of exercise but for the people looking for a work out or exercise in their homes it should be a very good compliment.

Isn´t the schoolgirl story a failure in parenting?
If the parents doesn´t explain the differences of course children of that age will think they actually participated in the real sport.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Most of the Wii Sports package doesn't give you any real exercise but the boxing does on a par with aerobics. Everytime I have a good 30 min session on it I'm waving my arms around like a maniac and my heart rate goes right up, I get hot and my arms ache the next day. Anyone who tries to tell you that it is not real exercise simply has an agenda against videogames.

vaio said:

If the parents doesn´t explain the differences of course children of that age will think they actually participated in the real sport.

Definetly. However, some parents (who don't know any better) believe that the Wii is really offering a good form of exercise to their child. 

Consumers should be aware that the Wii isn't a workout machine.

Some exercise is better than no excerise.

stranne said:
Some exercise is better than no excerise.

Agreed. It's when it replaces other, more benificial methods of exercise there is a problem.

Dallinor said:
vaio said:

Definetly. However, some parents (who don't know any better) believe that the Wii is really offering a good form of exercise to their child. 

Consumers should be aware that the Wii isn't a workout machine.

I totaly agree with you, it´s not a workout machine but it is a great addition to workout and better then any concole have ever been able to offer.It is the first console to take a step in that direction and we can´t expect to take a full step in the first generation of games or even a console and it will only get better from here and on.