By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U price cut hasn't improved sales enough, says retailer

The Wii U has a lot of games, the problem is it has zero mass market appeal and it is entirely Nintendo's fault.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Well as of now it has New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Scribblenauts U, Zombi U, Assassin's Creed III, Black Ops 2, Need For Speed Most Wanted U, Just Dance IV, Ninja Gaiden 3: RE, LEGO City Stories, Monster Hunter Tri G ... so I'm not sure the "it haz no games at all!" thing really holds for much longer.

It has games. It just doesn't have games people really want that badly or can't play elsewhere and the controller is not selling the system the way the Wiimote did. 

Pikmin 3 is not gonna change much I don't think.

yeah ports of cheaper system's games don't count as  a selling point for me.  NSMBU, ZombieU, NintendoLand, Scibblenauts, LEGO, Monster Hunter, and Pikmin is a good first half year library though (not even)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It needs both. The timing is also poor, as this is the weakest period of the year for game sales. Launch games, reduce price and promote in the second half of they year. Everyone needs to settle down.

is it?  I thought that was June-August?

The whole first half of the year is weak.  the post-Christmas period is traditionally the weakest for Nintendo platforms, but it's all weak really.  But the point is, there is little point i dropping prices or marketing pushes or anything else until MS and Sony reveal plans, and until after E3.  Then Nintendo should make a massive push.

TheLastStarFighter said:
platformmaster918 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It needs both. The timing is also poor, as this is the weakest period of the year for game sales. Launch games, reduce price and promote in the second half of they year. Everyone needs to settle down.

The whole first half of the year is weak.  the post-Christmas period is traditionally the weakest for Nintendo platforms, but it's all weak really.  But the point is, there is little point i dropping prices or marketing pushes or anything else until MS and Sony reveal plans, and until after E3.  Then Nintendo should make a massive push.

If they were going to price drop officially I would think it would be in August or September to offset the effect of next gen systems and entice holiday buyers away from them.  Nintendo is already taking a loss and don't like to lose hardware money so they will hold off as long as they can.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
platformmaster918 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

If they were going to price drop officially I would think it would be in August or September to offset the effect of next gen systems and entice holiday buyers away from them.  Nintendo is already taking a loss and don't like to lose hardware money so they will hold off as long as they can.

Exactly.  Get Pikmin, W101, WiiFitU, WiiPartyU out.  Find out price of opposition.  Media speculates as to pricing of opposition... is it too high or just right?  Drop price of Wii U and release WWHD and let people know that MarioKart and MarioUniverse are coming.  Promote like crazy.  Hopefully generate large market share.  And like you said, later is better for cutting costs and the yen may continue to fall.  At the current rate, they could drop the price and make a profit on WiiU this Autumn.

Around the Network

Of course it hasn't increased sales much.

It remains unadvertised and largely game less.

If Nintendo thought lowering the price would do some good, they'd have lowered it officially.

This one is about people not having played it, not "getting" it, not knowing what to play on it, and not even having heard about it.

So the measure we've said that it wouldn't have an impact now, on the bundle nobody wants, results in a "smaller than desired" increase. Who could have guessed that.

Making a price cut from a small retailer when there's no. Games released this year on the model nobody wants with no advertising, and you're lucky to get any increase at all.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Let me get this right:

They have lowered the price of the Basic model (the less attractive one) and it hasn't met the unknown expectations they had.

At least they could say which increase they expected and which one they got, or tried the same thing with both models to get a better picture of the current situation. So for me, this is not pointless but not very relevant or clarifying.

WiiU sales are bad, but we still don't know what will happen with a proper price cut and more games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Without games? Who would have thunk?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile