By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony dropping th 80GB in favor of 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3

Sonys plan for market domination.

Step 1. Create as many PS3 models as possible.
Step 2. (to be completed)
Step 3. Domination

Its obvious really.

Gah, I am so sick of them changing the PS3 around. Can't they just create one model and stick with it, maybe making a slim model in the future? The 360 is nearly as bad with its three SKUs but at least they made those and stuck to them rather than creating another new model whenever they get bored.

Around the Network

don`t know why, BUT i liked number 80GB.. =)
sadly they didn`t drop price on that model and only discontinue it.

Though 160GB is not that badm if to think.. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

If it has no BC with an increased price of any kind + Mota'Stom or any garbage 1st party game bundled in or what ever, then it is straight up GARBAGE.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Who cares, I still have the best: 60Gb PS3

I remember the day where there was one hardware specs for console for its entire life. To many different sku's confuses people and they dont buy it.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

Good for Sony to created a PS3 with bigger storage. I still think this is in response to the XB360 Elite which boast a 120 GB HDD.

The problem with Sony is they have a bunch of SKUs on the market now. Also, current PS3 owners will feel jaded since a bigger drive and DS3. Am I supposed go out and buy another PS3? I think not.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

And oh yeah, increasing the hard drive space to 120-160 Gb is worth nothing if Sony still locks the file size limit to 2Gb. I want my HD movies playable on your console Sony!!!! You here that????

The good thing about the Xbox 360 is that you can watch WMV HDs excess of 4Gb by using MacDrive to get around the Fat32 file size limit. I ripped my Transformers HD to WMV HD at 1080p with file size of 21Gb. Guess what I can play it on my Xbox 360 w/ external drive but not on my PS3. PS3 is just good for <2Gb DivX movies as far as I'm concerned.

I hope they do this, cause I'd love this to come out. I hope the 100 price drop is true to, this would be great at 400 bucks.

After 20, 40, 60, and 80, the next logical step would be 100. I guess they're trying to take us by surprise. =P

Well if they wanted to offer another 499 model they could release a PS3 with 320GBs.

But a 120GB model would be a good idea if it costs $399 - $449.

@Xgamer - just buy a 160GB HDD and you will be good It shouldn't cost no more then $80 and in the next few months even less.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453