By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why did evolution create the 'Memory'?

We're supposed to remember the past so we don't make the same mistakes in the future.

In other words mankind is one failed experiment.

Around the Network

Because a species that makes the same mistakes over and over isn't a species for very long, it's just a dead end. Getting sick from a particular plant, for example, or knowing not to attempt eating that thing with all the spines again.

Just look at our own species in contrast with Neanderthal man. We, like the PS4, have a lot of working memory, or RAM, while the Neanderthal had good HDD storage and retrieval but very little RAM. The victor, in both instances, is as clear as day. RAM is win.

to pass knowledge to the next generation, kids from dumb parents that didn't teach them anything, because they forgot, just died quicker and didn't get to reproduce

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

It is very usefull, most of what we experience ends up happening again, like rain or car crashes, so, it is good to remember how to react.

Because if we eat something that makes us sick, it would be beneficial to our chances of survival if we remembered what it was so we could avoid it in the future.

Around the Network

Those who were able to remember the places where they could find water had a much higher chance to survive than those who weren't.

is the original poster asking about cognitive memory?

because 99% of the posts here are discussing things that are handled by the limbic system. as evidence by the fact that a lizard can do the memory tasks being discussed. and lizards dont have frontal lobes

chapset said:
to pass knowledge to the next generation, kids from dumb parents that didn't teach them anything, because they forgot, just died quicker and didn't get to reproduce

i wish

spurgeonryan said:
Wow! Evolution thought of everything when it and the big bang and apes had a three way back in the day. Thanks Daddy Evolution!

Evolution doesn't think or do stuff. All that happens is random shit and thats it. Our environment actually shapes organisms. The broken ones die .

The reason memory exists is because it turned out benefitial for life forms to store data of certain events and not just react to situations. Without memory all you could theoretically do is work like a plain toaster. React to a certain situation  always the same. That would be fine if nothing ever changes and there were just a few possible outcomes to any problem.

Maybe memory lead to evolution, I mean how did the dna know giraffes needed a longer neck? DNA probably used memory to adjust to problems over generations, but maybe at some point it realized that if you can have memory while alive instead of only in dna, you can adjust to things during the current generation and not need to evolve special parts or whatever to bypass those problem.