By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Cyprus Bailout Risks Europe Bank Runs

Feeling yet less guilty about thinking some countries just shouldn't be, personally I'd be furious if I was one of those depositors.

So glad my money is secure in a country that actually has money.

Around the Network

The idea that lots of banks in europe are bankrupt is ludricous.

Even on the countries that have been bailed it is just the odd one or none at all.

Also the idea of "bailout" is misinterpreted by non-europeans. No one is beeing bailed out. Every country so far has been lended money at the interest rate of 3% instead of the market interest. They are paying those loans back. Theres no one "offering" money around here. And while the EU can pressure their state members to adopt austerity measures, in the case of non-members they dont have that control, so this extra measure comes as no surprise. Fair? No, but the guy lending the money dictates the conditions. If you dont like them, dont take it.

Kasz216 said:

Really?  What I was hearing is they keep putting off the vote and now we won't know till thursday or friday.

Yep, I'm behind the events, they moved it till later.

chapset said:
''When Cyprus's banks reopen on Tuesday morning, every depositor will have some of his or her money seized. Accounts under 100,000 euros will have 6.75% of the funds seized. Accounts over 100,000 euros will have 9.9% seized. And then the Eurozone's emergency lending facility and the International Monetary Fund will inject 10 billion euros into the banks to allow them to keep operating.''

Isn't that stealing

It's worse, it's banditism.

- Hey you can't walk on my street just like that!
- Wha?!
- Pay the fee.

Money won't like that.

Nem said:

The idea that lots of banks in europe are bankrupt is ludricous.

Even on the countries that have been bailed it is just the odd one or none at all.

Also the idea of "bailout" is misinterpreted by non-europeans. No one is beeing bailed out. Every country so far has been lended money at the interest rate of 3% instead of the market interest. They are paying those loans back. Theres no one "offering" money around here. And while the EU can pressure their state members to adopt austerity measures, in the case of non-members they dont have that control, so this extra measure comes as no surprise. Fair? No, but the guy lending the money dictates the conditions. If you dont like them, dont take it.

They aren't bankrupt, they just have way, way more liabilities than they could reasonably handle. Of course as this whole Cyprus situation shows, it often ammounts to the same when people stop believing in the smoke and mirrors.

Now to appease and calm down the owners of interest and debt the market is slowly restructuring, yeah, but at the price of millions of jobs and the cutting of social policies all around the continent. And both ot them will never come back since you need way above average growth to close unemployment gaps and spend money again without contributing to sovereign debt, something that probably isn't going to happen specially in the mediterranean. 

Around the Network

"So the U.S. would probably have to get involved."

....Uhhhhh....NO, what an insulting thing to write in an article, not to mention complete bollocks (yep, a nice english term for you, that's british english, where english came from) as the richer countries in the Eurozone have more than enough funds to fund any bailout (regardless of the devaluation of the euro that follows each time), and if a bailout isn't offered then the parasitic country will be given the boot...how on earth would the US be involved. (They wouldn't, that was a rhetorical question)

Apart from that, good read for the layman :)

Tell the banks and the EU to fuck off. There's a reason nationalist parties are booming across Europe.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
Tell the banks and the EU to fuck off. There's a reason nationalist parties are booming across Europe.

That and just... economic hard times in general do wonders for fringe parties. The far left is getting just as much of a boost, the far right is just more visible because you would have thought the lesson had stuck after WWII.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
leatherhat said:

That and just... economic hard times in general do wonders for fringe parties. The far left is getting just as much of a boost, the far right is just more visible because you would have thought the lesson had stuck after WWII.

Not really. Anti- EU, Anti mass imigration political parties are consitsitently gaining huge numbers across Europe.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

This is what happens when you spend more than you take in. Eventually, things like this will overtake a ton of nations that want to spend too much on social programs, while not taxing properly to pay for such measures.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.