By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 represents possibly the single biggest leap seen in a console generation

We are judging this based on what, 1st gen Demo.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:

2D-to-3D was a specific leap. SD-to-HD was a specific leap. However, the latter was a bigger leap, to me, because games, lietrally, went from a decent image to pristine. The kind of jump that I expect from PS3-to-PS4 / 360-to-720, however, is the one I hoped for with the 7th gen.

The next time we'll see a move to anything like 2D-to-3D is when games move to real time ray tracing, voxels, and full tessellation mapping. That is still, at least, a gen or two away.

By the time the next next gen brings real time ray tracing, voxels and full tessellation mappings I think art design and clever coders will have already raised the bar.  What I mean is that games will continue to look better and better throughout the next gen and when the next next gen comes we will again be saying that the leap isn't as big as expected.

Only because they won't truly grasp what goes on behind the scenes. I'll give them that. It was easier to see the leaps of 2D-to-3D and SD-to-HD, then it will be (for many) to see the true impact of a fully ray traced, voxelized, tessellated title.

Sure. But I can't say it really matters to the eye what's going on behind the scene. Now with that said, when the gen comes with the really impressive tech games will start to evolve. The first ones won't look much better than the best of the best of the previous gen, but as time goes on the new tech will do amazing things that will impress even those who don't "truly grasp what goes on behind the scenes".

It actually does matter what's going on behind the scenes, because without it, you'd have no leap. In fact, I expect 2014/15/16 games to show how much many are underestimating what's going on.

You missunderstand me. I agree that it does matter whats going on behind the scenes. I'm saying that eye only cares what it sees, it doesn't care how it sees it. People who know will be impressed with the tech. People who don't know will be impressed with what they see. They don't need to know what magic is producing the visuals they just enjoy the visuals.

psrock said:
We are judging this based on what, 1st gen Demo.

not even since they were working with a weaker dev kit and the games are almost a year away from releasing still

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I find it interesting that for many years the PS3 was touted as having unlimited capabilites thanks to "TH3 C3LL!!!1", but now it's being downplayed really bad thanks to it's younger brother :(

In any case, no generational leap will be bigger than the SNES-to-N64 one. Never.

CGI-Quality said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
In any case, no generational leap will be bigger than the SNES-to-N64 one. Never.

For game-play, this will probably remain true. But, regarding graphics, maybe I'm alone when I feel like the move to 3D was ugly. Boxy, blocky visuals are not missed, and have aged worse than any other games from other eras.

this is true.  ALttP is better to play today than OoT is.  3D gameplay was unmastered in this era as well resulting in terrible cameras, controls, and targeting in many games.  Sure a few gems have stood the test of time (OoT is still a joy to play as well as SM64, MGS, Crash 3, Spyro, and others) but many seem very clunky.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

This thread is pure gold. It is almost like traveling back in time to previous console launches. Everyone here needs to Google PS2 vs PS3 and XBOX vs 360 and read the threads back from 2005 and 2006.

Anyway it's way too early to call.

bananaking21 said:
no i have to completely disagree with you. the leap from SNES to N64 is a much bigger leap. games went from 2D to 3D. they literally added a dimension, no console leap will ever top that

Never? What about Fortaleza, Prototype-SR and Oculus Rift? I imagine they will have a shot at it.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

not forget their arrogance is a leap too

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Based on the thread title alone, I call bullshit on that statement. This guy obviously doesn't remember the transition from the 16 bit era to the 32 bit/64 bit era. The industry literally went from two dimensional sprites to fully functioning 3D worlds overnight. Within the transition of a single generation, gameplay had to be re-invented. New genres were created. Old genres died out. It was the 5th generation that was and probably always will be the biggest leap in gaming history, not the 8th generation.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Really? I think the jump from 2D to 3D graphics back in the 5th generation was A LOT bigger.