By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be a PS4 exclusive, budget will be 120m+

Well assuming it's all true i'm glad we will be hearing about it around E3. Also i'm glad it's for PS4.

Not sure what the big deal is, sure the PS4 install base will be small at the beginning (this game will make people buy one), but if it's a good game a TON of people will pick it up after they get a PS4 anyway.

Around the Network
UnitSmiley said:
Well assuming it's all true i'm glad we will be hearing about it around E3. Also i'm glad it's for PS4.

Not sure what the big deal is, sure the PS4 install base will be small at the beginning (this game will make people buy one), but if it's a good game a TON of people will pick it up after they get a PS4 anyway.

Because for a game like this to recover thos costs they will need strong upfront full priced sales. Sure it might have legs and go on to sell 10m copies but if only the first 1-2m are at full price and the rest are cut priced platnum hits or whatever editions they might still lose money. Especially if that 120m doesn't include marketing which could easilly be another $50-100m. Assuming the game will retail at $70 for PS4 it would still need ~5m units at full price to start to break even, more if they spend a lot on marketing which they will have to if they want to move a lot of week one units. 

Edit: for perspective VGChartz has FFXIII on PS3 at 4.93m units world wide, plus 1.94m on X360. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

$120Mil? Good luck on becoming the THE game to get a PS4 for (haha) then, if this game should bomb Square Enix is pretty fucked.

zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

Because for a game like this to recover thos costs they will need strong upfront full priced sales. Sure it might have legs and go on to sell 10m copies but if only the first 1-2m are at full price and the rest are cut priced platnum hits or whatever editions they might still lose money. Especially if that 120m doesn't include marketing which could easilly be another $50-100m. Assuming the game will retail at $70 for PS4 it would still need ~5m units at full price to start to break even, more if they spend a lot on marketing which they will have to if they want to move a lot of week one units. 

Ah I see, truthfully i've never been sure about how that kind of stuff works with regard to launch games. Still though, at this point they need to deliver a strong game to show their fans they still mean business. If they believe they can make a better game on the PS4 then I say go for it. I do see your point however.

zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

Edit: for perspective VGChartz has FFXIII on PS3 at 4.93m units world wide, plus 1.94m on X360. 

120 millions is a lot yes, but this could be the game Sony could use to appeal to the Japanese market. Apart from Deep Down which isn't a proven franchise, what was there to appeal to the Japanese market that Sony showed in its unveiling this past month?

If Sony helps this game out and also does marketing for the game it could prove beneficial for both Square and Sony. MGS4 showed that exclusives can sell.

But then, this is only a rumor and even I have the feeling it won't be exclusive.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

120 millions is a lot yes, but this could be the game Sony could use to appeal to the Japanese market. Apart from Deep Down which isn't a proven franchise, what was there to appeal to the Japanese market that Sony showed in its unveiling this past month?

If Sony helps this game out and also does marketing for the game it could prove beneficial for both Square and Sony. MGS4 showed that exclusives can sell.

But then, this is only a rumor and even I have the feeling it won't be exclusive.

Deep Down also looked extremely western too.

UnitSmiley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

I wanted to say there was something for the Japanese market there since it was from Capcom but I agree. lol Maybe Knack from JP Studio would be a better fit.

AbbathTheGrim said:
UnitSmiley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

I wanted to say there was something for the Japanese market there since it was from Capcom but I agree. lol Maybe Knack from JP Studio would be a better fit.

I keep forgetting that Knack is from Japan Stuido. That looks really Western too haha.

UnitSmiley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
UnitSmiley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
zarx said:
UnitSmiley said:

I keep forgetting that Knack is from Japan Stuido. That looks really Western too haha.

Yeah, it looks like Pixar stuff, but Japanese like their Pixar dose as well. Maybe we should agreed Sony hasn't shown anything for Japan then. lol

120 million for a launch title? A lot of JRPG's struggle to sell on consolidated consoles now, bringing out a game that costs 120 million for a new console with an install base of 0 isn't good business at all. I hope they're expecting to not get any money back for this game.

Seeing how Final Fantasy XIII-2 has sold strengthens my point.

Only 0.63 million on the 360 and a respectable 2.29 million on the ps3. As good as those sales are, it's an exclusive. Taking away the 360's .63 million, 2.29 million isn't going to get them the 120 million back and as I said, that's an established console with over 70 million units sold at the time of the games release. How is the game going to go when it's a launch title? Even if it hits 2 million, that's not enough.

I hope it's a rumor for Square's sake. Unless it's all Enix's 120 million.