By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

I would throw this out now. No matter how many actual facts you present, Crazyman will dispute them with some cherry picking data.

Just be warned that you will get no intellectual debate on the matter.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

@crazzyman
That's not entirely true. Final Fantasy VIII actually has the best Japanese launch of any Final Fantasy game. It also sold better than X did in Japan. Not every first Final Fantasy on a system sells better. In fact, of all the SNES ones, IV sold the worst, and VI, the last one, sold the best. Final Fantasy I and II for the NES are not even on the million seller list on VGCHARTZ. Also, Final Fantasy X sold significantly worse than VII did, and even sold much 620k less in Japan than VIII. The series is in decline sales-wise. XIII will be no exception. It opens on a more expensive system with less sales. It will sell less than half a million more first week than SSBB.

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=final+fantasy&console=&publisher=&sort=Japan
This shows Final Fantasy total sales in Japan. I can back up my claims with this.

i say there are more marioboys than finalfantasyboys.
@That Guy, on vGchartz, YES. =))
WHY would all Mario fans buy a Wii so quickly when they weren't willing to buy a Gamecube so quickly?
@Coglestop, WHY people buying Wii??? Because of controls.

@Oyvoyvoyv, ok, i got the SARCASM. =)

I suppose since all the Mario fans have bought the game, no more will be sold? So if the Wii sells another 15 million units, SMG won't even sell another 100,000 units?
@Stever89, need more data sales.
Let`s wai till SMG numbers reach SMS numbers in USA. =)

And SSBB numbers ARE impressive,
With 5.1 mln. Wii VS 1.8 PS3. Oh, YES of`course. =)))

As for the FF games, yes they do sell a lot, as your (incorrect) sig shows
80% of sales were in first 12 weeks.
If i will change.
Final Fantasy X - 2.4 mln. in first 12 weeks with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
That will be better? =)) By HOW much? =)))

@ikilledkenny, Every FIRST FF game on new system sells MORE, then last FF game on previous system.
Now, i supose you can AGREE? =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

@crazzyman
You are still wrong. Final Fantasy III sold more than Final Fantasy IV.
And we were also talking about Japan, where the top 3, in order, are VII, VIII, THEN X. It did sell better than IX, but it is stupid to ignore VIII.

Super Smash Brothers sales are impressive. Selling 1 million in the first week to a 5 million base is a 20% attach rate. Pretty damn impressive, especially since Smash is much stronger in America. Let's just say they keep this rate worldwide, which isn't a strech. There is 4 million right there, even if Wii doesn't sell any more copies. I predict over 40 million Wii's by the end of the year, so I think that it is possible to have 8 million Super Smash Brothers Brawl copies sold by the end of the year worldwide. That beats every Final Fantasy except for VII.

ironically, the same game you point out, Final Fantasy 10. had a steep drop off in sales after about a month. Isn't that the same line of reasoning you have for SMG?

Also, I argue that SMG is much more casual friendly than FF13, thus having longer legs :-p

oh yeah:

scoreboard.

SMG looks like it will do a lot better than FF X

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

And SSBB numbers ARE impressive,
With 5.1 mln. Wii VS 1.8 PS3. Oh, YES of`course. =)))

As for the FF games, yes they do sell a lot, as your (incorrect) sig shows
80% of sales were in first 12 weeks.
If i will change.
Final Fantasy X - 2.4 mln. in first 12 weeks with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
That will be better? =)) By HOW much? =)))

It's not impressive that the Wii has 5.1 and the PS3 has 1.8 and SSBB sold 1 million. It's impressive that SSBB has beat so many of the PS3 games.

Japan Only: 5.1 million Wii sells 1 million SSBB

Worldwide (which includes Japan, NA, and Others): 9.6 million PS3s with only 7 games above 1 million

In other words, with half the userbase, SSBB beat most games on the PS3. That IS impressive. =)

And by the end of the 12 weeks, the PS2 had 6 million in Japan, so it should say something like:

FFX - 1.9 million first week, with 2.4 first 12 weeks, with 5 million PS2s at launch, and 6 million at the end of the 12 weeks.

I think you should just stick with my revised version here.

CrashMan said:
I would throw this out now. No matter how many actual facts you present, Crazyman will dispute them with some cherry picking data.

Just be warned that you will get no intellectual debate on the matter.

That's why this is the best thread ever.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

@ikilledkenny,
Every FIRST FF game on new playstaion sells MORE, then last FF game on previous playstation.
Now, i supose you can`t DISAGREE? =))))))))

Damn, do i need to explain every word, that you would undertsand my POINT? =)

@That Guy, SMG all regions VS FFX JAPAN only - THAT is what cherry picking. =)))))))))

@Stever89, i`s 5.1 mln. Wii SOLD. Why do you IGNORE that???
20 mln. Wii vs 9 mln. PS3 WW.
With 20 mln. PS3 there will be over 30 mln. sellers. RELAX.

PS3 Gundam Musou 174,638 with 749,524
WoW, every 4th ps3 owner bough the game.

Wii SSB - 940k with 5.1 mln.
Wow, every 5th wii owner bought the game.

The smaller userbase is, the bigger chance for the game to get bigger attach rate.
The bigger userbase is, the bigger chanse for the game to sell more on first day.

DAMN, this is SO SIMPLE.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

WoW, every 4th ps3 ownerd bough the game.

I wasn't using Wii WW numbers, I was using Wii Japan numbers and comparing them to the PS3 WW numbers, which the PS3 has 2x the install base. I never said anything about the number of million sellers either. And I wasn't ignoring the 5.1 million Wiis sold. lol. I don't even know where you are coming from. I'mnot even going to try to correct you, because YOU are still not understanding what that guy who killed kenny was saying either.

And the difference between the those two percentages you gave was more like 3%, 23% attach rate for the PS3 game, 20% for the SSBB. That's not really all that much.

And yes, CrashMan, nothing good can come of this. But my week wouldn't be worth living if I didn't have at least 2 never ending arguements with CrazzyMan in it.

Edit togo with Crazzy's edit: The fact that the two had near identical attach rates at launch, does not help your point. Since the PS3 had a smaller userbase, it should have had a larger attach rate, though it only had a mere 3% larger.

CrazzyMan said:

@ikilledkenny,
Every FIRST FF game on new playstaion sells MORE, then last FF game on previous playstation.
Now, i supose you can`t DISAGREE? =))))))))

Damn, do i need to explain every word, that you would undertsand my POINT? =)

@That Guy, SMG all regions VS FFX JAPAN only - THAT is what cherry picking. =)))))))))

WoW, every 4th ps3 owner bough the game.

The smaller userbase is, the bigger chance for the game to get bigger attach rate.
The bigger userbase is, the bigger chanse for the game to sell more on first day.

DAMN, this is SO SIMPLE.

Just for the record, whatever point you are trying to make is largely lost because your posts are about 80% incoherent