By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

TruckOSaurus said:
pezus said:
^Yes, I'm only talking about if someone goes and mentions sales in a thread about Metascores/GOTY awards or the like.

@J_Allard: Of course, I'm not expecting similar treatment in many other threads.

Sales can be relevant to a metascore thread too. Ex.: "Even with a score of a 95 on Metacritic, XYZ didn't sell more than 1 million copies, is this genre dying?"

Ban clearly needed. From now on with this weekends precendent we should only post threads. Any type of reply is grounds for bant.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

The overreaction by you guys I gotta say, it's pretty adorable.

Again, prepare to be disappointed.

I know I'm adorable, thanks, but I'm not overreacting.

Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
The guy was offering a deal.....what was with the zealots coming out in force? Strange how everyone jumps at the first opportunity nowadays to justify why they are better than someone else for what they bought.

That is what it's all about. "I am better than you because I chose the more successful product" seems to dominate many ppls thoughts. The social dysfunctions are quite obvious here. But keep in mind that we have "war"-times: PS4 is to launch this year, nextbox also. The arguments have to be repositioned and weapons have to be loaded so that the beloved company can finally rule the world! :)

...and then Apple launch a console ! Game over man, game over!

Though what I find so ironic is that it is electonrics so you can simply go "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win", but no one bothers to learn the basics. It's like they actually want to argue and not have a decisive out come.

But that being said, if the nextbox is media focused, we might see a big shift in people quoting terraflops and using that as the crowning factor.

Except that wouldn't and doesn't work for obvious reasons...

For example: PS2 and Xbox. It's pretty obvious which was the better console.

See? This is what I'm on about.

a) were pretty much had the same power. The difference was negligible.

b) it was the game library that made them both good in their own ways. One had GT3-4, the other had Halo. One had DMC, they other, Fable.

a) *Laughs*

b) Aaahh...so people can't just 'learn the basics' and simply say :  "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win" like you said? There can't really be a decisive outcome?

Okay then, I guess you get it.

a) So you know little about computational power?

b) When the difference is huge, it will be the same as comparing pong to Skyrim, or Attack of the Blob to Avatar.

TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
The guy was offering a deal.....what was with the zealots coming out in force? Strange how everyone jumps at the first opportunity nowadays to justify why they are better than someone else for what they bought.

That is what it's all about. "I am better than you because I chose the more successful product" seems to dominate many ppls thoughts. The social dysfunctions are quite obvious here. But keep in mind that we have "war"-times: PS4 is to launch this year, nextbox also. The arguments have to be repositioned and weapons have to be loaded so that the beloved company can finally rule the world! :)

Though what I find so ironic is that it is electonrics so you can simply go "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win", but no one bothers to learn the basics. It's like they actually want to argue and not have a decisive out come.

But that being said, if the nextbox is media focused, we might see a big shift in people quoting terraflops and using that as the crowning factor.

b) it was the game library that made them both good in their own ways. One had GT3-4, the other had Halo. One had DMC, they other, Fable.

a) *Laughs*

b) Aaahh...so people can't just 'learn the basics' and simply say :  "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win" like you said? There can't really be a decisive outcome?

b) When the difference is huge, it will be the same as comparing pong to Skyrim, or Attack of the Blob to Avatar.

The difference in rendering power between the PS2 and Xbox was not negligble though. It was pretty big. Probably comparable to the WiiU and Nextbox difference (we'll have to see).

Chrizum said:

The difference in rendering power between the PS2 and Xbox was not negligble though. It was pretty big. Probably comparable to the WiiU and Nextbox difference (we'll have to see).

It wasn't. Although at first glance it seems like it would be at least twice as powerful, they were both weak as hell. It's a bit seeing if a bee of fly hits harder - they're both shit. They also ran the same type of graphics (eg. dx11 or OpenGL 5) which at that time had sod all features. Now, however, the jumps and features are huge and people don't realise what they are and it is these features that you could end arguments with.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:

Chrizum said:

It wasn't. Although at first glance it seems like it would be at least twice as powerful, they were both weak as hell. It's a bit seeing if a bee of fly hits harder - they're both shit. They also ran the same type of graphics (eg. dx11 or OpenGL 5) which at that time had sod all features. Now, however, the jumps and features are huge and people don't realise what they are and it is these features that you could end arguments with.

Well it's all relative ofcourse. It depends on what your definitions of "negligible" or "weak" are.  don't think the Xbox was weak at the time of release. It was the most powerful dedicated gaming system around and could match high end PC game graphics. Sure, PC ran circles around it shortly after but that's the way it goes. And compared to the PS2 the Xbox was a beast. They were indeed in the same "graphical generation" and shared similar features but the polygon rendering count, texture sizes, resolution, etc. were all superior on Xbox.

TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

a) *Laughs*

I don't have to say anything else. You have already been dealt with.