By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) Leading 11 Hour Filibuster on CIA Nominee Confirmation

This is sort of history making. There's been one filibuster in the history of the U.S. that lasted 24 hours. This one being led by Sen. Rand Paul and now Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is going into it's 11th hour. 

A filibsuter is simply a tactic that includes "talking a bill to death." What this is meant to do is exhaust everyone into delaying a vote on a particular bill. In some cases, completely taking the bill off the floor entirely. 

What this is mainly in response to is President Obama's and Attorney General Eric Holder's positions on assassinating American citizens with drones, both OFF AND ON U.S. soil. 

Thoughts? Critiques? Regardless, we haven't seen this done for quite some time, at least not to where it garnered this much attention. #StandWithRand is surging on Twitter right now and has been for a number of hours. 

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the other thread(s) pertaining to this issue. 

Around the Network

I say good for him. The CIA is merely a private army for the Executive branch that has no oversight and operates in secret. Except for national security that is truly necessary, we could do without it. They meddle in a lot of things that just leads us to trouble. It's no wonder why so many countries outside a select few allies can't stand us.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

This is the work of true statesmen who are doing their civic duty to protect the rights of all people in the United States, not a politician with special interest groups to please. I hope it's a foreshadow for what is to come. For at the very least - a decade- our government has been incrementally taking too much power and it is brave of these men, Rand Paul especially, to say - no - this is not the right thing for Americans and this is not what our policy should be.

if it wasnt a joke it would be laughable. bottom line the new republican party is are nothing but a bunch of slavemasters that are tick the slave has the house.

face it john stewert said it best they do not like you barack obama. they are so anti-black guy i can guarantee if he said 0% taxes they would raise it to 100%. if he's for it theyre against it even all those dumb ass conservative bs he puts up as "good ideas"

there is nothing good about todays republican conservative tea bags whatever they want to call themselves today

moderated kasz216

tres said:
if it wasnt a joke it would be laughable. bottom line the new republican party is are nothing but a bunch of slavemasters that are tick the slave has the house.

face it john stewert said it best they do not like you barack obama. they are so anti-black guy i can guarantee if he said 0% taxes they would raise it to 100%. if he's for it theyre against it even all those dumb ass conservative bs he puts up as "good ideas"

there is nothing good about todays republican conservative tea bags whatever they want to call themselves today

You obviously know nothing about Rand Paul, his beliefs, and the situation in question. Instead you chose to copy and paste the typical partisan response - "his party is racist." Anyway, Rand Paul  (and his father) quite obviously have principles they stick to, these aren't principles of slavery but of liberty, and it's precisely why the Republican establishment has opposed them (and their beliefs) internally and of course the progressive Democrat establishment has opposed them externally. 

I post this just so that the casual observer understands the massive strawmanning threaded in your post. Although, I'm sure it's quite self-evident. 

Around the Network
tres said:

sc94597 said:
tres said:

You obviously know nothing about Rand Paul, his beliefs, and the situation in question. Instead you chose to copy and paste the typical partisan response - "his party is racist." Anyway, Rand Paul  (and his father) quite obviously have principles they stick to, these aren't principles of slavery but of liberty, and it's precisely why the Republican establishment has opposed them (and their beliefs) internally and of course the progressive Democrat establishment has opposed them externally. 

I post this just so that the casual observer understands the massive strawmanning threaded in your post. Although, I'm sure it's quite self-evident. 

There's a reason the framers of the US Constitution included anti-democratic measures and formed a federal republic; they feared the tyranny of the masses because the masses are biased, easily fooled, and generally stupid. The scariest part of any Democracy is that people like this have the right to vote, and they are legion.

BaldrSkies said:
sc94597 said:
tres said:

There's a reason the framers of the US Constitution included anti-democratic measures and formed a federal republic; they feared the tyranny of the masses because the masses are biased, easily fooled, and generally stupid. The scariest part of any Democracy is that people like this have the right to vote, and they are legion.

What intrigues me the most is how these supposedly liberal Democrats became Neo-Cons because of their loyalty to their great leader. It is laughable how many people fall within partisan politics because group A supports their special interest versus group B. It represents a total lack of principles. 

tres said:

Why am I even giving such a post any more credence by quoting it? 

Let me just leave you with this: I don't lower my discussions to such drivel. 

Drone strikes, assassinating U.S. citizens, spying on American citizens, etc. SHOULD all be non-partisan issues that we all examine with a human eye, not a partisan eye. 

EDIT:

Rand Paul ends filibsuter around 12.5 hr. mark after remarking that he had "business" to take care of. 

tres said:

Funny you should say that, since Jon Stewart just said he agreed with Rand Paul on this matter just a few hours ago.  He didn't call Rand Paul any names or question his agenda, he said that "as issues go, drone oversight is one worth kicking up a fuss for."

You're out of your depth here, son.

You do not have the right to never be offended.