By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Most people tentatively call the next Xbox "720" but I really can't see the logic in this. Why name it the 720? The next Playstation isn't called the PS6, right? So why double the number for Xbox? Xbox 361 would make even more sense than 720.

Discuss.

Around the Network

because it sounds cooler than xbox 540

Because we don't know the real name yet and by calling it Xbox 720 everyone knows what we're referring to.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I prefer calling it "Xbox 3". Only issue is that it sounds like a severe downgrade.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Because we don't know the real name yet and by calling it Xbox 720 everyone knows what we're referring to.

I understand that but why 720? It seems silly to just double the number, might as well call the next Playstation the PS8 now.

Way cooler would be to name it Xbox 1080 and have a 1080p remake of 1080° Snowboarding as a launch title.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

I understand that but why 720? It seems silly to just double the number, might as well call the next Playstation the PS8 now.

Way cooler would be to name it Xbox 1080 and have a 1080p remake of 1080° Snowboarding as a launch title.

The next in a sequence of circles is 2, giving you 720°. I like it because it means PS4 fanboys will have to turn 720° before they can walk away , instead of only 360.

Chrizum said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

Because it's already in use and immediately obvious what it refers to even though it's not plausible as a name.

Did you know there is a secret internet authority for naming things? You're not invited to our annual dinner.

Because everyone knows what you're talking about if you say 720.

Proclus said:
Because everyone knows what you're talking about if you say 720.

This and this alone. M$ wold be fools to call it the 720. It comes with a 720p only implication.

Next logical progression. As simple as that.

If someone asks what comes after "360", most people would say "720", not "361". It's just a representation, no one takes it literally.